Opinions on First Lite Clothing

cuttiebrownbow

I would argue that FL is actually true to sizing but their arms are a bit long depending on the piece. I wear a large in FL everything except the uncompaghre. A large in FL at 5'9" and 190lbs fits me great except the klamath that has crazy arm length compared to every other FL piece i own and I have to get that tailored.

What I like about FL is the pieces that should be snug are and the pieces that should fit looser do and you don't have to buy different sizes to get that fit.

Sitka I am an XL or an XXL depending on cut and at that point I have too much space in the stomach or sleeves are way too long at XXL. Could you imagine saying sitka is true to size when a 5'9" 190lb guy has to buy a jetstream in XXL?

Sitka pants are nice though because you buy the correct size of waist. FL i end up buying large but they are loose are on waist but fit well on my thighs depending on layering.

notacos4u

First lite is really good in regards to having their sizes design to be worn with multiple layers. If you buy some things in L, theres a pretty good chance you can purchase everything in that size and they will fit nicely without feeling like you’re being restricted. I own Sitka and Firstlite gear, and the Sitka gear I find myself sizing up way more so than I do with Firstlite. The good hung about Sitka is I can go out and try them on and know how they’re going to fit as where Firstlite, you have to order and hope you get the correct size, although I can say, Firstlite is pretty good in regards to letting you know what size will fit you by calling them.

katdaddy2013

First set of FL merino wool I bought was for a 2015 3rd rifle season drop camp hunt in Colorado. Wore for 6 days and was amazed at it's heat and odor retention, Just received a new pair of merino wool base layers. Made in China. Are any of these high dollar hunting clothes manufacturers made in the USA? I would spend the money for some American made hunting clothes
I budget for certain sets of clothing and last year I went with KUIU Pro pants, 240 Peloton hoody and vest.

ChrisS

Made in China. Are any of these high dollar hunting clothes manufacturers made in the USA?
Generally, no. When the garment industry shifted to Asia, so did the technology development. They're doing things over there in bulk that American shops either don't know how to do or can't do because they don't have the tech - machines, materials, printing, etc.

Old school woolen clothes are still made in the US.

Mule3006Elk

The base layer, being merino wool, is prone to snags/holes. I have some of there earlier base layers from 2013 up to more recently 2019. If I wear the base layer only, walking through brush, I will invariably get a snag or random hole at some point. I don't know if there is a merino wool base layer that wouldn't succumb to the same outcome at some point in this situation. My solution is to wear the base layer with a synthetic over the top.

Sizing does run true t/o the layering system in my experience. With Sitka, I try every layer on and have a few different sizes t/o the layering system.

KBC

I just picked up a kiln on sale and was disappointed to see made in China. I have a few of their jackets and a pair of pants. The quality is great and I like a lot of what the company does but the made in China thing bugs me.
Think about it, I can buy 5 made in China kiln shirts at regular price or I can buy a made in USA EXO 4800. A made in China shirt should be way cheaper than what they charge but if it said made in USA I’d feel a lot better about the expensive price tag. Ad the exchange rate and I payed about $150 CAD to have it shipped to a P.O. Box in WA. for a made in China shirt.

Mike Islander

Size depends on the piece. I wear a large Uncompahgre jacket. They recommend medium for my measurements but I had to exchange for large. Uncompahgre is the best jacket I own and one of their flagship pieces, like Sitka Timberline pants. Excellent kit. Research a piece you like then read the reviews for size advice. Buy from Amazon or REI and exchange or returns are cake. The company has great CS.

Austink47

Echoing much of what has been said. I love the Chama hoody (kiln now?) and sawtooth vest and have used both in tree stands in the SE and elk hunting in SW. There is something cozy and quiet about FL wool.