Opinions on First Lite Clothing

I would argue that FL is actually true to sizing but their arms are a bit long depending on the piece. I wear a large in FL everything except the uncompaghre. A large in FL at 5'9" and 190lbs fits me great except the klamath that has crazy arm length compared to every other FL piece i own and I have to get that tailored.

What I like about FL is the pieces that should be snug are and the pieces that should fit looser do and you don't have to buy different sizes to get that fit.

Sitka I am an XL or an XXL depending on cut and at that point I have too much space in the stomach or sleeves are way too long at XXL. Could you imagine saying sitka is true to size when a 5'9" 190lb guy has to buy a jetstream in XXL?

Sitka pants are nice though because you buy the correct size of waist. FL i end up buying large but they are loose are on waist but fit well on my thighs depending on layering.

notacos4u

FNG
First lite is really good in regards to having their sizes design to be worn with multiple layers. If you buy some things in L, theres a pretty good chance you can purchase everything in that size and they will fit nicely without feeling like you’re being restricted. I own Sitka and Firstlite gear, and the Sitka gear I find myself sizing up way more so than I do with Firstlite. The good hung about Sitka is I can go out and try them on and know how they’re going to fit as where Firstlite, you have to order and hope you get the correct size, although I can say, Firstlite is pretty good in regards to letting you know what size will fit you by calling them.

katdaddy2013

Lil-Rokslider
First set of FL merino wool I bought was for a 2015 3rd rifle season drop camp hunt in Colorado. Wore for 6 days and was amazed at it's heat and odor retention, Just received a new pair of merino wool base layers. Made in China. Are any of these high dollar hunting clothes manufacturers made in the USA? I would spend the money for some American made hunting clothes
I budget for certain sets of clothing and last year I went with KUIU Pro pants, 240 Peloton hoody and vest.

ChrisS

WKR
Made in China. Are any of these high dollar hunting clothes manufacturers made in the USA?
Generally, no. When the garment industry shifted to Asia, so did the technology development. They're doing things over there in bulk that American shops either don't know how to do or can't do because they don't have the tech - machines, materials, printing, etc.

Old school woolen clothes are still made in the US.

The base layer, being merino wool, is prone to snags/holes. I have some of there earlier base layers from 2013 up to more recently 2019. If I wear the base layer only, walking through brush, I will invariably get a snag or random hole at some point. I don't know if there is a merino wool base layer that wouldn't succumb to the same outcome at some point in this situation. My solution is to wear the base layer with a synthetic over the top.

Sizing does run true t/o the layering system in my experience. With Sitka, I try every layer on and have a few different sizes t/o the layering system.

KBC

WKR
I just picked up a kiln on sale and was disappointed to see made in China. I have a few of their jackets and a pair of pants. The quality is great and I like a lot of what the company does but the made in China thing bugs me.
Think about it, I can buy 5 made in China kiln shirts at regular price or I can buy a made in USA EXO 4800. A made in China shirt should be way cheaper than what they charge but if it said made in USA I’d feel a lot better about the expensive price tag. Ad the exchange rate and I payed about $150 CAD to have it shipped to a P.O. Box in WA. for a made in China shirt.

Size depends on the piece. I wear a large Uncompahgre jacket. They recommend medium for my measurements but I had to exchange for large. Uncompahgre is the best jacket I own and one of their flagship pieces, like Sitka Timberline pants. Excellent kit. Research a piece you like then read the reviews for size advice. Buy from Amazon or REI and exchange or returns are cake. The company has great CS.

Austink47

WKR
Echoing much of what has been said. I love the Chama hoody (kiln now?) and sawtooth vest and have used both in tree stands in the SE and elk hunting in SW. There is something cozy and quiet about FL wool.

jrb4277

FNG
Most comfortable hunting clothing ive ever used. Customer service is phenominal too!

Alegault

Lil-Rokslider
Love their tops. Merino long sleeves (aerowol are great. Sizing good except arms always a tad long. Merino boxers are great. I wear them on all my hunts. Their massive puffy, the chamberlain, is awesome and a furnace.

My favorite piece is the sawtooth hybrid jacket. Thin sleeves, back and lower, kind of puffy fill on the chest. Love it for the fall, love it around town. It's just comfortable and as long as a slight chill outside, the perfect temp for me.

Its all well-made and super comfortable. And if you are going camo, I do like fusion over many other patterns.

Not a fan of their pants sizing (seems way too big). I found Kuiu pants to fit much better.

Bobbyboe

WKR
Just got my first shipment of their gear in. First impression is sizing is inconsistent. Fleece was way too big, unpronounceable 2.0 was too small (upper back, arms for layering), pants were too big (waist and length). Corrugate jacket fit good.

I didn’t like the corrugate jacket or pants, which will be returned. They both seemed really thin. Not sure what that jacket would be used for..... I was anticipating a thinner softshell material, which it is not. I’ll stick with Kuiu attacks for pants.

Did like the feel of the 2.0. Really hoping a size up will work.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just got my first shipment of their gear in. First impression is sizing is inconsistent. Fleece was way too big, unpronounceable 2.0 was too small (upper back, arms for layering), pants were too big (waist and length). Corrugate jacket fit good.

I didn’t like the corrugate jacket or pants, which will be returned. They both seemed really thin. Not sure what that jacket would be used for..... I was anticipating a thinner softshell material, which it is not. I’ll stick with Kuiu attacks for pants.

Did like the feel of the 2.0. Really hoping a size up will work.

Did you order the same size for everything? I’m a Medium in everything they’ve got and the sizing is all pretty close to the same. Interested to see if another size is more inconsistent.

On the corrugate Guide’s, they’re thinner than an attack but I don’t think they are much cooler. Corrugate is a super durable pant. Jacket is descent for a jacket if your busting through brush, but you want the Catalyst jacket. That is a thinner softshell material but more quiet than a typical softshell jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catahoula

WKR
I have been in FL clothing since 2007. I like their clothing line and fits really well. I only had one issue with a pair of Obsidian pants that wore holes right next to the stitching high up on the inseam. Disappointing but FL credited me the cost. Sent them back and emailed me store credit for the failure. Personally, I might be tempted to restructure the gusseting in the crotch/high inseam on these merino pants in the future.

Bobbyboe

WKR
Did you order the same size for everything? I’m a Medium in everything they’ve got and the sizing is all pretty close to the same. Interested to see if another size is more inconsistent.

On the corrugate Guide’s, they’re thinner than an attack but I don’t think they are much cooler. Corrugate is a super durable pant. Jacket is descent for a jacket if your busting through brush, but you want the Catalyst jacket. That is a thinner softshell material but more quiet than a typical softshell jacket.

I ordered a M in everything but the 2.0. Got a S in the 2.0 because I heard people saying they are a touch large. Turns out I need a S in everything, except the 2.0. The fleece was way too big. I wear a straight M in everything Kuiu for reference.

I’ll be returning the corrugate pants and jacket for a credit. They are not at all what I expected. I sent customer service an email, which they were quick to respond to after hours, which was nice.

My initial impression was I like the build of the fleece and 2.0. The hood on the 2.0 is awesome! It is defiantly a light puffy and will not be sufficient for cold weather. I’ll be adding down to cold weather hunts.

I need to decide if a stormlight or stormlight will be appropriate as an outer layer for general hunting. I don’t want to carry a soft shell and hard shell.

FL is great early season or late season I'm in the same setup maybe add a layer here or there. Merino wool is the best hunting clothing for sweating and not getting cold. The one problem I have is it tears easily but the my wife knows those holey pants don't get tossed.

cowsandgrass

Lil-Rokslider
I am very close to your size. I am 5’8” though. First light tops in xl fit well except I find the arms too tight for my liking (they do this on purpose) just not my style. I have the catalyst soft shell pants and they fit great. Sawbucks in the same size where too tight.

rootacres

WKR
Good day everyone. So I wanted to reach out to those in this forum to discuss First Lite gear. So I live in Northern Alabama so a lot of the hunting I do is from a tree stand. I occasionally partake in Elk hunts in New Mexico so if I am looking into different clothing I try to find something that can transition between both hunting situations. Not saying you can get a perfect match but you can get close. I currently use Sitka and I really do like their product. Very expensive but I like it. I have been thinking of ordering a few pieces of First Lite just to see how the product fits, feels and performs. Now unfortunately I don't order any pants from any of the vendors listed here because I am a very odd body size and the pants will not work for me unless I have them altered and there is just something about altering pants that cost hundreds of dollars. Now I am not here to get into the debate about the different camo patterns or not needing camo at all etc. I am just looking for opinions based on peoples experience while using the gear, things like customer service, integrity of the product, etc. Thanks for your input.

I live in the midwest and primarily tree stand hunt whitetail and try to book 1 trip per year out west. So this is just my two cents on what works for me. Treestand hunting up here you need something that will keep you warm when you aren't moving, out west you want to stay warm, dump heat/moisture while being active. I have a sitka outer layer system I use for whitetail hunting, I have a KUIU outer layer system I use for out west. The next to skin / mid layer stuff is where you can have some crossover. I have found that the aerowool stuff from first lite is awesome. I have their kiln hoody, wick hoody and wick quarter zip. All three can be used in either application. Its tough because you need a gore windstopper membrane to stay comfortable on breezy midwest November days but the same garment would hurt you out west.

gjs4

Lil-Rokslider
Best if you try it on prior (if feasible) for sizing as others mentioned.

I swear they’ve used some weird model cuts. Some stuff is for the tall and lanky and others (sawbuck? Pants) have my beefy soccer quads only taking up half the space available