Opinions on my arrow setup and Archer's Advantage

stonewall

WKR
I'll try not to write a book here...

I've been playing with 3 arrow setups:
250 spine BEA spartan, 30" carbon to carbon, 75g weights (258 fps)
300 spine BEA spartan, 29" c2c, 75gr weights (265 (fps)
300 spine BEA spartan, 29" c2c, 30gr weights (i've pretty much eliminated this one, has the worst groups) (278fps)

All have 3 aae max stealth, standard BEA insert (26gr), 100gr point, BEA bushing and r nock (11 and 9 grains)

Bow: 70# mathews chill r, 30" draw

First in Archer's Advantage:
If I use the chronograph speed of each arrow, the 300 with 75 gr weights are proper spine; 250s are considered way too stiff
If I use the factory IBO of the Chill R, it says 300's are too weak and 250s are correct (also the BEA spine chart would agree with this)
*my understanding of AA is that it's best to use the FPS of the arrow setup in question, not the factory stated ibo

I set up bare shafts of each, using lead tape to simulate the fletching and wrap weight, so bare shafts are pretty equal to the fletched arrows

The other day in tuning I had the 250 bare shaft flying perfect out to 50 (have never achieved that in my life). Then put nocturnals on and lost the arrow flight, then tinkered with bow... now the 300's with 75 are flying the best bare shaft (not as good as the 250s before, but great out to 30 yards this morning). I'm guessing that little bit of speed difference makes a difference too

As far as groups, for a couple days the 300s with 75 grouped the best, yesterday and today it was the 250s (can't rule out shooter error in some of this unfortunately). broadheads appear to fly fine from both out to 40 so far.

i know i'm over-analyzing, but I'd love to hear some opinions if you guys don't mind...

Also, am I using AA correctly in it's spine calculation function?

Thank you!

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
On AA, the spine will correlate to your sight in also numbers / it’s calculated FPS. If you go in and manipulate your sight in numbers, the spine will always move as well. So AA after you have your sight in numbers dialed will be most accurate.

And it is all relative and I think you are overthinking a computer generated response. If the bow is shooting and grouping up and down your relative range, AA doesn’t mean a thing.

And lastly if your bow is grouping two different set ups fairly well, your bow is probably pretty well tuned.

Pick an arrow set up you like best and spend all this other researching and nonsense time shooting your bow.

I can tell you a good shooter with poor arrow flight will out shoot an average shooter with a perfect tune every day of the week.