Opinions on new rifles around $700

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
This has probably been discussed, but oh well.

I'm rifle shopping. The options out there are enough to drive you crazy. I'm a flat lander deer hunter that rarely has shot opportunities past 200 yards. Rifles recently became legal in my state, but prior to that I'd usually hunt with my muzzleloader or slug shotgun. When rifles became legal I picked up a cheap savage combo. I've since picked up a couple other cheapo's (ruger American, Winchester xpr). I want an upgrade. Also I have started going west to hunt, and plan on taking a trip once a year to chase something. This year Wyoming antelope.

So on my radar thus far;

Bergara b14
Weatherby vanguard (questions here)
Tikka t3x lite
Kimber hunter

I just picked up a scope from a fellow rokslider (vortex viper hst 4x16 44mm).

I'm open to other options on rifles. Prefer to be around that $700.

When you're looking at certain models, say the weatherby vanguard, there's drastic price ranges within the same model. Example, the weatherby vanguard backcountry msrp $1100. The vanguard select $549. And a bunch in between. Yeah the stocks are different, but is there anything different in other components?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TxxAgg

WKR
I haven't owned a Kimber but I've had the other 3.

The Tikka has plenty of polymer components (if that bothers you) and a great trigger.

The Weatherby has a better stock (if no plans to change it) but I dislike the trigger and always replace with a Timney.

The Bergara is a good combination of the two above, but the one I had wasn't as accurate as my Tikkas and Vanguards.

I would put my CZ 557 above any of them, though. I have/had 3 with Walnut stocks. I've never owned their synthetic options.

OldGrayJB

WKR
Don't overlook Remington 700. My favorite thing about them is the availability of parts. If you ever decide to upgrade the barrel, trigger, or the stock, you can guarantee parts will be available.

wilydawg

Lil-Rokslider
Can't speak from personal experience about the rest of your selections, but the Tikka I can.

I have 2, and they both shoot lights out. Action is butter smooth, and they have a really nice trigger out of the box. Feel good going to the shoulder (at least for me). IMO they are a lot of rifle for the $s...

Lawnboi

WKR
I’d go tikka in a short action chambering. I haven’t owned all on your list but did own a hunter for a short time.

Iv got 3 tikkas now, they all shoot better than my previous factory Sporter rifles.

Tikka also has a quickly growing aftermarket, if you like to tinker. On top of that they hold their value as many are using them for custom builds.

Marble

WKR
I own all but the Bergara. Haven't shot the Kimber much, its actually the mountain Ascent version that weighs 4.9 pounds. But it feels and shoots great.

Any one of them are awesome. Great choices!! From the list you have I would choose the Bergara. The main reason is I beleive its is closer to a true match grade gun than the others. That based on a few of my buddies who are very experienced in hunting, shooting and reloading. They have built loads that are both very fast and accurate.

I would go hold each gun and aee how it feels. I also would check specs to see which one has the fastest twist rate. Some of the heavier copper bullets require, or are suggested, to use 1:8.5 twist. That's for 7mm RM.

wvincent

FNG
Perhaps you should take a look at the Mauser M18? Europtic has some excellent pricing right now. I have one in 6.5 PRC that I put together as a budget rifle and I am extremely happy with it.

N2TRKYS

WKR
My favorite for hunting locally and out West are Remington Model Seven SS rifles.

I took my first elk this October with my Model Seven SS in 7 SAUM. My next trip, I'll be toting my Model Seven SS in 7-08.

I’m a giant Tikka fan. But for good reason. They just work really well and with no fuss. Actions are smooth as glass, good factory adjustable trigger, shorter bolt throw than a 700, safety locks the bolt down, accurate, and the stock is honestly good to go. Add in they’re fairly lightweight and all mine have shot really well. I add the vertical grip to mine for a bit fatter grip but they don’t need much.

Mine are in 22, 223, 6.5CM, 7RM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk