Opinions on Sevr 1.5

In all my years of bowhunting I always used a fixed blade and would not even consider an expandable.

I've been in search of a new head after using Shuttle T's for years, but the quality is no longer there, so decided to look elsewhere.

So far I'm looking at the Exodus Full and B3 Destruct both in 100 grain. But as of now no other expandable has ever caught my interest like the Sevr 1.5. Just looking at this head and seeing some reviews, I'm liking what I'm seeing and truly believe this head might out preform most 3 bladed fixed heads I've always been set on using? Don't want to get into the best broadhead debate as a cut on contact 2 blade are probably the best option. But just in general comparing the Sever 1.5 to most 3 bladed fixed head I would normally select, might be the better option?

Really liking the sleek chisel point design with pivoting blades that also lock. Honestly never thought I'd never say much good about any expandable. What's your opinion?

Marble

WKR
Nothing wrong with carrying both, a COC 2 blade and the Sevr.

They seem to check all the boxes for what I would use them for, but it's a mechanical.

I carried a couple rages with me last year while hunting but was disappointed with their durability, their performance when poping open when I shot and when in my quiver.

The Sevr didn't seem to have that issue.

I'm going to carry some this year for Blacktail, Bears and coyotes.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Bump79

WKR
Excellent head. The titanium construction is the most underrated feature. It's way stronger than most metals outside of like an IW 17-4 PH. All of those heads are incredible options though. Exodus is great and very proven. The Destrukt isn't as proven but a good design and made by a great company.

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
I've been very happy with Exodus heads but the 1.5 Sevr has grabbed my attention as well. Might just have to order a couple and give them a go

Haven’t drawn blood but the 1.5s are flying excellent for me. Stacking right in with my field points out to 80, further than I’d shoot on an animal. Drilling an 1/8inch hole in the quiver right next to the normal hole the arrow sits in works well at keeping them from deploying in the quiver.

I like them. The blades on my have not been as sharp as I would prefer but easy to touch up. I killed a bear with the 2.0 that made it maybe 20 yards and a muley in Arizona.

The pivoting blade saved my ass on a mule deer in Arizona last year. I was very very tight to the shoulder socket and you could see where the one blade pivoted in and allow the arrow to pass in a straight line through before lodging in the opposite shoulder blade. I believe an average fixed head or other mechanical would have deflected pretty badly and gone into the liver and guts rather than double lung.

I have never used the sevr but tried the Ulmer edge back in the day (basically same head.). Nice head but I was not a fan of some of the results I had. That pivoting blade while good in theory I think can bite you.

They fly well and stay closed. But I wasn’t a fan

To me the benefits of a mechanical are the cutting area.

No larger than the 1.5 is I'd just be using a 3 blade fixed.

Wind drift won't be as bad with a mech, so you get some benefits at longer ranges. I tried both 2.1 and 2.0 sevrs and I was not happy with my results. Penetration was terrible, and I frequently use mechanical. It was just the worst I had experienced over a few whitetail, so I'll use up what I have, likely on close range does and coyotes.

DeepForks

FNG
Been shooting nothing but fixed blades since I started bowhunting. Now that expandables are legal in Idaho, been looking at the SEVR 1.5 for this season. I have a few on order. Time will tell but from most of the reviews and photos, they seem to work as intended.
My brother has used the previous SEVR 2.1 and killed a Mule Deer with it no problem, complete pass through.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
To me the benefits of a mechanical are the cutting area.

No larger than the 1.5 is I'd just be using a 3 blade fixed.
This ^^^^.

I shot a bull with the 1.5" Ulmer Edge and penetration was no problem at all. It blew through on a quartering away shot from 54 yards that would have gotten liver and probably only one lung. Then it blew through the offside humerus bone. The arrow was completely covered in blood from head to nock. We lost the blood trail in the dark so came back in the morning. Picked it back up and found where he bedded. But there wasn't another drop of blood after that bed. We searched for 11 hours even with the warden's dog. Unfortunately, that bull must have backtracked after bedding at some point and I found him much later, kind of hidden down in a brushy ravine 300+ yards from the bed at about a 160 degree angle was his original path. Further on in the direction of his path was water, so we all figured that's the direction he went. For a broadside double lung shot......sure, most every BH will drop them quickly. But I've had a lot of quartering away shots on elk with other heads that were no problem at all. Here's his bed. The blood was probably 5 feet across left to right.
100_2622.JPG

This ^^^^.

I shot a bull with the 1.5" Ulmer Edge and penetration was no problem at all. It blew through on a quartering away shot from 54 yards that would have gotten liver and probably only one lung. Then it blew through the offside humerus bone. The arrow was completely covered in blood from head to nock. We lost the blood trail in the dark so came back in the morning. Picked it back up and found where he bedded. But there wasn't another drop of blood after that bed. We searched for 11 hours even with the warden's dog. Unfortunately, that bull must have backtracked after bedding at some point and I found him much later, kind of hidden down in a brushy ravine 300+ yards from the bed at about a 160 degree angle was his original path. Further on in the direction of his path was water, so we all figured that's the direction he went. For a broadside double lung shot......sure, most every BH will drop them quickly. But I've had a lot of quartering away shots on elk with other heads that were no problem at all. Here's his bed. The blood was probably 5 feet across left to right.
View attachment 429812

Were you able to tell the path the arrow actually took thru the animal after you found it?

I think those rotating blades can make that wound track curve pretty good, I can't say for certain I have experienced it, but I know how a chisel works is wood. If those blades lay flat on one side of the ferrule, it's going to push that direction of cut over to the side that's all the way up, cause the wound track to curve.

I had one that didn't exit where it should have, but there's a lot of dynamics with a hit on a whitetail.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Were you able to tell the path the arrow actually took thru the animal after you found it?
The angle I had and where I was aiming, I wasn't surprised at all that it hit the offside humerus. That's pretty much the exit I was aiming for, so it appeared to have blown straight through.

The angle I had and where I was aiming, I wasn't surprised at all that it hit the offside humerus. That's pretty much the exit I was aiming for, so it appeared to have blown straight through.

Or did it curve and exit? Not hitting all the vitals you thought?

I'm assuming the carcass was pretty gone once you found it?

I think those rotating blades can make that wound track curve pretty good, I can't say for certain I have experienced it, but I know how a chisel works is wood. If those blades lay flat on one side of the ferrule, it's going to push that direction of cut over to the side that's all the way up, cause the wound track to curve.

I had one that didn't exit where it should have, but there's a lot of dynamics with a hit on a whitetail.
Yea I had that issue on an javalena. Shot Was right behind the shoulder. But the arrow took a bizarre path. Wasn’t a fan of them because of experiences like that

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Or did it curve and exit? Not hitting all the vitals you thought?
Oh, I have no idea. I assumed that it was a straight line since my buddy said he saw it enter, and I know where it exited. The blood in his bed sure appears to be some lung blood there with all the bubbles, and here's what it looked like immediately after he was shot. I figured this was from the entrance and liver blood......but who knows. Either way, I'll stick to 3-blade heads from now on, for both mechanical and fixed.
100_2617.JPG

rclouse79

WKR
Haven’t drawn blood but the 1.5s are flying excellent for me. Stacking right in with my field points out to 80, further than I’d shoot on an animal. Drilling an 1/8inch hole in the quiver right next to the normal hole the arrow sits in works well at keeping them from deploying in the quiver.
I am giving them a try this year. I bought the new tight spot rise quiver. It comes with two arrow grippers and the tip of the arrow doesn’t even need to touch the quiver to keep them secure.

Topher502

FNG
my personal experience with sevr has been all positve. i shot them for years before switching to swat broadheds. i think the sevr actually flew better than my field tips. crazy accurate!

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
The last Mule Deer Buck that I shot with a SEVR 1.5 ran maybe 10' and dropped dead like I'd shot him with my 300 win mag. The 2.0's just flat out kill Turkeys. The only 2 heads I use these days are a QAD Exodus and the SEVR 1.5 on big game and the 2.0 on Turkeys.

I've had good results...killed an elk and a deer with no issues at all. But I switched to a fixed blade anyways.