Opinions on Sitka Downpour

bhalb69

FNG
Lots of good rain and wind gear out there but I’m put off by how loud a lot of it is. I realize that while it’s raining, the noise doesn’t matter that much, but I’m consider about shortly after a rain, not having the time to remove the rain gear, that the noise would be prohibitive on a close-in stalk. That said, seems like Sitka Downpour jacket and pants have a brushed face which quiets the noise down. The brushed face could lead to wet out scenarios too though.
Just wondering if anyone’s run these through the ringer and had any opinions on them, good or bad.

depends on your use i assume. i had a set of downpour several years ago, it didn't hold up at all on the coast... it was terrible. i then got the stormfront lite set, it was only slightly better...

kuiu is the only thing that has gave me the feeling i wasn't getting ripped off on raingear, i have had a couple sets of chugach, a set of yukon, and a set of kutana storm shell.... good life out of all of them... chugach being the shortest life, but still relatively good.

thinking i will try kryptek takur this next year, but have been happy with kuiu. i have decided i will be wet or wearing noisy gear, that's a reality of rain gear... if it's raining, rain gear noise doesn't matter, when it quits, i shed it if needed.

i remember last year trying to sneak up on a herd of elk in an open clear cut, it had dumped rain all morning but was now nice... i was about 60yds from the closest elk, and about 70 from the bull i was after, and was getting so irritated with the noise of my rain gear.... in the open, i was able to unzip and wiggle out of my rain gear in pretty close proximity, so i can't really use the noise as an excuse to not like it, i can work around it.

killed some critters inside 20yds on the ground wearing rain gear too, if rain gear is needed, it's not a factor... if not, take it off.... that's the reality of rain gear.

the downpour isn't that silent either

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
I do not have the downpour set yet, but after having hands on experience, it's gotta be the quietest rain gear I've ever set my hands on. ^^This guy is the only negative review I have ever heard about it. Everyone always says Sitka and Kuiu are the only rain gear to consider...

OP
bhalb69

bhalb69

FNG
Thanks for the comments, good to hear thoughts.

From the quiet perspective, I was just comparing the downpour by feel, with like the cloudburst, a couple of the cabelas rain gear line (MT050 I believe), and a few others. So just from my quick comparison, I’d tend to agree with cobbc03, seemed like it was quieter than most others but that was just my very quick assessment. Definitely could be different while actually in use though.

I’ve definitely heard good things consistently about Kuiu’s rain gear/outer layer. Thought I read somewhere that it’s a little louder but as you mentioned roosiebull, that shouldn’t be a game changer.

Just sounds like you have to sacrifice quietness for actually being waterproof, and vice versa. I know more packable they are too, the more you lose quietness. So many options to consider, just hard to know what’s right when I don’t have access to try on like half of the options.

Thanks all!

I have the Sitka Downpour jacket and pants and also have the Kuiu Chugach jacket and pants.

The Downpour is really solid and has the be the quietest rain gear I've ever been around. I use it for treestand hunting. It is not very packable so I use the Kuiu Chugach if I'm needing to pack and hike a bunch.

OP
bhalb69

bhalb69

FNG
I have the Sitka Downpour jacket and pants and also have the Kuiu Chugach jacket and pants.

The Downpour is really solid and has the be the quietest rain gear I've ever been around. I use it for treestand hunting. It is not very packable so I use the Kuiu Chugach if I'm needing to pack and hike a bunch.
Awesome, thanks for the thoughts!

Yeah, I’ve noticed Downpour’s lack of packability. So of the options that are more packable, you like the Chugach?

Awesome, thanks for the thoughts!

Yeah, I’ve noticed Downpour’s lack of packability. So of the options that are more packable, you like the Chugach?

Yes of the more packable options out there I choose the Chugach. Its a good mix of durability, breathability, rain protection and packability. I don't think its the best at any one of those aspects but in my opinion it has the best mix of being good at all of them.

OP
bhalb69

bhalb69

FNG
Yes of the more packable options out there I choose the Chugach. Its a good mix of durability, breathability, rain protection and packability. I don't think its the best at any one of those aspects but in my opinion it has the best mix of being good at all of them.
That’s great, much appreciated!