Opinions on the $400 range of spotting scopes?

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
My budget is roughly $400 for a spotter. Looking at the Vortex Diamondback or the Leupold Sx-2 Alpine. I'm sure there are others. when it comes to rifle scopes, I prefer Leupold, but their spotting scopes are lacking in internet reviews, where the Diamondback spotter has a ton. Thoughts? should I look at others?

Spoonman

WKR
Can you save for a little longer so you can spend a bit more? The difference between a diamond back and a used razor is huge. You buy a new gen1 razor at sportsman’s for $700 on sale. If you want a Leupold again save and get a sx-4 instead of the sx-2.

The vanguard endeavor hd is considerably better than the diamondback. I don’t have any experience with the leupold but I don’t see it being better. In my experience the vanguard performs much closer to a 650+ scope. There’s one in the classifieds for 225 shipped

TyWeimer

FNG
I second the vanguard endeavor.. much better than the diamondback. The cabelas hd spotters in that price are good too, the one I am thinking of might be discontinued though.

My buddy just bought the new diamondback hd - its pretty sick for the money. He got his for $390 on ebay. I know they are going for $500 most places.

Last edited:

Matt G.

WKR
I would wait for a few hundred more for the maven cs-1, cabelas krotos if you could find it, athlon ares g1 or g2, and think tract has one in same caliber.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

ChrisAU

WKR
I got my Kowa 602 used with 20-60x eye piece for right around $400. I would suggest that if you can find one.

Hawke Endurance ED is worth a look along with the vanguard endeavor.

Best is to watch the classifieds if you are not in a hurry. Seasons will be ending soon and people will start selling gear over the next few months.

Firehawk

WKR
Man I really disliked the Diamondback my brother bought for our trip to the Book Cliffs last year. I was really glad I had my Maven CS.1, because his DB was horrible.

If you can find a used Cabela's Krotos, they are really nice for the money. They are essentially the Athlon Ares 65mm scopes. Either of those are really close to your price point and I would definitely go with them over the DB. No experience with the Leupold you are considering.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Vanguard and quite a lot of good about the Hawke. I suggest you give Doug at Cameraland NY a call and see what he has with a Hawke or Athlon or similar.

FH

Blue72

WKR
None of the above

you can get a brand new Nikon ED50 from Japan in your budget. It is well regarded in the hunting and birding community For years if not decades. The glass quality is way way above its price point. It’s so good you will rarely find a reason to upgrade it.

the only reason I got rid of mine, is that I prefer two eye viewing through high powered binoculars instead. But there wasn’t a single flaw in the glass of that scope

A5AC8A8C-044F-4544-B766-CD4AAF7F96A2.jpeg

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The diamondback is not good. In fact, I'd say it is pretty terrible. It might be ok for taking to the shooting range and looking at targets from 100-200yds but other than that, it's trash.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I had a Minox MD-50, I found it to not be worth carrying even for how light it was. The MD-50 is well regarded in its price range. So, I doubt anything else in that price range is worth purchasing (the Nikon ED50 could be an exception, some consider it to be better than the Minox, others put them on the same level, I have not used the Nikon, so don't know). Save your money and get something better when you are able to.

Blue72

WKR
I had a Minox MD-50, I found it to not be worth carrying even for how light it was. The MD-50 is well regarded in its price range. So, I doubt anything else in that price range is worth purchasing (the Nikon ED50 could be an exception, some consider it to be better than the Minox, others put them on the same level, I have not used the Nikon, so don't know). Save your money and get something better when you are able to.
It’s not even close

there are actually debates on Bird Forum that the ED50 is closer to the Kowa 553. Especially with the fixed magnification eyepieces

Decent spotters are just beginning at $400 and you'll see noticeable difference if you can save just a few more hundred. In the $400 range, a good pair of binoculars on a tripod is arguably more useful. So unless you really need high magnification now, I would suggest saving a bit more or getting a tripod system to support your binos, and that's if you've already gotten the binos that you love.

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
Are you a veteran? If so you can go direct to Leupold and get 40% off. I just looked at the X-4 Pro Guide HD 15-45x65mm Angled Spotting Scope and with the discount it's $576. Regularly $800. BTW, the SX-2 Alpine HD 20-60x80mm Angled is $360 w/discount.