Opinions on the $400 range of spotting scopes?

Yeah i agree with most above dont go with the diamond back its just dissapointment. If you can wait and save a little more for either the gen 1 razor or that maven everyone talks about before me in that $700 range youd be much happier both atleast feel worth bringing along. For what its worth though im going to sell my 85mm razor to get that maven to save the ounces so i carry it a long more but both perform good for what they are, and are useful.

Are you a veteran? If so you can go direct to Leupold and get 40% off. I just looked at the X-4 Pro Guide HD 15-45x65mm Angled Spotting Scope and with the discount it's $576. Regularly $800. BTW, the SX-2 Alpine HD 20-60x80mm Angled is $360 w/discount.
Is this legit?

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. I scanned in my DD214. That's all that was needed. Using my discount this year I purchased the VX-5HD 3-15x44 scope and the BX-2 Alpine HD binoculars.

In the $400 range, a good pair of binoculars on a tripod is arguably more useful.
This is my exact experience with the lower end spotting scopes. Field of view is too small, image is too dark, and clarity just isn't there. And that's at the lowest magnifications. Only use I can think of is maybe for the range. Seriously useless for anything in the field, I put the scope away, found a rest for my binos, and had a much clearer view.

Marble

WKR
Decent spotters are just beginning at $400 and you'll see noticeable difference if you can save just a few more hundred. In the $400 range, a good pair of binoculars on a tripod is arguably more useful. So unless you really need high magnification now, I would suggest saving a bit more or getting a tripod system to support your binos, and that's if you've already gotten the binos that you love.
This right here. Get good binos first and then save for a spotter.

Just an example of the difference in the diamond back range of spotters vs the razors. I hunt with some guys with super cheap spotters($400 range) Redfield, mid range vortex and another brand I forget. I can see through my razor 20 to 25 minutes earlier and later in the morning/evening because of how much light comes through. So while they are sitting in the truck, I'm still on the glass watching animals appear that they cannot distinguish through the cheaper glass.

I have a new swaro 95 to try out this year next to my razor. Be interesting to see the difference.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I have a new swaro 95 to try out this year next to my razor. Be interesting to see the difference.
I've used Swaro and Razor scopes with comparable objective lenses side by side. There's a noticeable difference in poor light, but at low magnifications I'd say the Razor was 95% of the Swaro. In good lighting I couldn't notice a difference, but the Swaro definitely edges it out when you're backlit or at the far end of dawn/dusk. Better contrast to spot animals in those conditions for sure.

It also seemed more useable into the higher ranges of the magnification, although honestly I find most scopes get less useful once you're past 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up in magnification. I can see more detail if I stay at 35-40x, part of that may be needing to upgrade my tripod though. Whether that's enough to justify a serious increase in price just depends on a person's needs and budget.

WLD

FNG
Can you save for a little longer so you can spend a bit more? The difference between a diamond back and a used razor is huge. You buy a new gen1 razor at sportsman’s for $700 on sale. If you want a Leupold again save and get a sx-4 instead of the sx-2.
Why this guy said, I’ve bought several lower end optics only to end up spending more $$$ on upgrading in the long run

Gone4Days

WKR
I know this is old and the OP probably doesn’t care anymore, but for $479 I got my Athlon Ares G2. For the price is a great spotter.