Opinions on the information Randy Newburg shares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuzzH

WKR
Randy wouldn't be on TV and have sponsors if that was the case.

He lost me on the video where he and another guy were making fun of folks. Haven't been back since.

I didn't bold anything.

Keep drinking the cool aid.

When you have done 1/4 of what Randy has done for conservation, wildlife, public lands, and our hunting heritage...I may...and that's a big "MAY" think about considering your opinion of someone you don't know.

Randy doesn't give away specific areas, alot of the info is out there for the most part.

I'll say this, I've never been fortunate enough to hunt the same place EVER and I've been doing this for a long time. I go where I get tags, you'll be suprised how fast you will learn a unit, break it down and will become successful because of it. Just takes time and experience.

JohnnyB

WKR
I never mind when Randy shows general area- because he never kills animals anyhow.

Kidding not kidding. I enjoy his shows exactly because he doesn’t feel compelled to show a nice tidy kill shot 27 minutes into the show.

Have to scratch my head when I read complaints about locations like “southwest Montana” or Custer National Forest. Are these big secrets? Like Trial153 said- just get out there hunt.

cnelk

WKR
I watched one of Randy's shows when he hunted New Mexico.
He was pretty open about where he was scouting/going.
Even mentioned he was probably pissin some people off with the intel.

But hey, Its public land right?

His show/online content is enjoyable and I don’t think he is giving any information that is earth shattering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 years ago i spent hours “i didn’t have” to find a new spot for my first year in idaho. Found several bulls. Last year i took a newbie with me (we are from tn). This year he’s talking about going to the spot without me. People that put time and hard work in don’t just want to give out info, for that reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
You going to have to use points to draw WY doe tags shortly.

We are at the tipping point where there are more hunters than game, and places to hunt.

I suggest you let that marinate.
By we I’m assuming you are a resident? With OTC tags and all that wilderness you have to yourself, I bet you’ll be ok.

Macegl

Lil-Rokslider
I don't mind people sharing general information, like Randy does. That being said, the areas I hunt have a limited number of tags, so worst case scenario draw odds get a little worse. If I hunted an area with unlimited tags, I could see how that could negatively affect things pretty dramatically.

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
Randy does a lot for the hunting community and conservation. His show is a breath of fresh air compared to 90% of the other shows out there. Generally when he talks about spots they involve a lot of preference points, he does not say a whole bunch when he is in an OTC situation or low point draw.

Shows like his and Rinella's (yes he sold out too...) grow the hunting base and we need that desperately. We are losing the fight for public lands and hunting opportunities. I'm ok with them being paid and hawking gear as long as the message is still helpful.

wapitibob

WKR
I wish more would watch that latest youtube. Kind of tiring reading the same questions over and over that have been answered over and over.

Randy is one of the best voices us hunters have out there right now. His advocacy for conservation and public lands is admirable. He was doing his thing long before he became so 'mainstream' and developed whatever sponsorship base he currently has. Yeah, I agree that he will likely cause application numbers to go up in a few areas when he really reveals a lot of info. And he may cause an area or two to get a bit more crowded. But a good hunter who thinks for himself and does his own research wont be as adversly affected by it. That good hunter can find a way to power through it whether it's by changing his application strategy, exploring different areas, etc. The best hunters are still going to get the job done, period. They spend less time sulking/complaining and more time figuring out how to put meat on the ground.

As someone who works in the conservation field, I genuinely hope Randy recruits more hunters and causes more folks to apply for out of state hunts. Each dollar state agencies generate through license sales is eligible for a 3:1 Federal match. So that $100 spent on a license could effectively turn into $400 for a state wildlife agency. If spent wisely, that in turn can lead to more avaliable game through habitat improvements, access to public lands, etc.

We are fighting a losing battle these days. Just look at the crap currently going on in Virginia. And the constant onslaught of anti-hunting propositions. Us hunters need to stick together and do all we can for the sport we love. And quit worrying about that spot Randy may mention. Keep fighting the good fight, Randy!

Randy is a salesman. Nothing wrong with it. But to say he’s not isn’t being honest.
8EAD6262-E872-42BD-B0E8-81EBA6376636.png
I would be surprised if Nosler didn’t write that for him. It’s actually pretty decent. It sounds like Hornady’s marketing. And Hornady is extremely good at it.

johnsd16

WKR
I’m not going to deny that Randy is a great voice for sportsmen and does a lot for public lands but I have to agree on the sellout concept at least in part. I wholeheartedly agree that his sharing specific units is totally ridiculous and made me loose a ton of respect for him in that regard (not the advocacy part). A couple years ago he was rifle elk hunting in a particular unit that wasn’t hard to draw and made a specific comment about how many elk were in the unit (being good) and then named the unit. It by chance was a unit I had on my very short list since 2014 and now it takes triple the points to draw. Chaps my azz every time I think about it. That stuff is just plain dumb and it is nothing more than being a click whore. Total bs.

As for not having time to do research as the OP mentioned, I’ll throw the bs flag on that too. I was busy, and when I say busy I mean it in a way most will never experience back in 2014-17 and I found plenty of time to work 2-3 jobs for 80-100 hours a week, have two little kids, hunt, fish, and research for hunts in multiple states. To say guys like you NEED guys like Randy to lessen the curve for you is a cop out.

The other thing I’ll say about Randy is that he used to be the “on your own adventure guy” but then slowly you saw him often hunting with his “friend” who just HAPPENS to be a guide on this ranch in this unit..... He may be your friend but don’t pawn off hunting with your buddy who guides on some land be it public or private as the same DIY PL type of thing OYOA was initially. Again, a bit of a sellout there.

I always respect what Buzzh says but I’m off the Randy bandwagon based on his current public persona. Good for him as I’m sure he’s making more of a living off it now but I just can’t swallow what I see. That one unit reference is 90% of it.

Rich M

WKR
When you have done 1/4 of what Randy has done for conservation, wildlife, public lands, and our hunting heritage...I may...and that's a big "MAY" think about considering your opinion of someone you don't know.
Buzz,

You are a loyal friend.

I agree that Randy has helped more hunters than most. He is a big advocate for public land use and as far as I know doesn't whine about PP but has a plan to maximize them.

If everyone abided by these unwritten rules regarding sharing information, I think this forum wouldn’t have much to offer.

I like Randy’s content, but it’s not groundbreaking and it’s only one piece of a large puzzle to a successful hunt.

The adversarial tone amongst hunters isn’t helping. So a guy is in your area, at least there is an area. We are already outnumbered and will be lucky to retain our public lands for generations to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.