Opinions on the information Randy Newburg shares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

prm

WKR
Count me as a fan of Randy. He does a lot of good for hunting. If you are new to hunting and want to learn a lot, listen to him. If you want to watch great public land hunts, his shows are very enjoyable. I think I’d really enjoy hunting with him.

As for being a sellout, I don’t see it that way. It’s just a business decision. That decision has consequences though. If I am looking for information or recommendations on rifle scopes, I don’t look to Randy because I know his answer will be Leupold. That does not serve me. If they use their sponsorship to provide awareness of new products that’s fine, but I’m not not paying attention to any sponsored hunter for product advice.

16Bore

WKR
I’m a bigger fan of 16Bore. He kinda has a no bullshit method just “get out and go” way of thinking. Life is a trophy and everything else a bonus. His pictures aren’t the best, I can’t seem to find them on Instagram. I agree 100% with all his “gear” choices and outdoor “philosophy”. Pretty damn good cook too. This is the guy I like to emulate. I know he’s a big fan of “The Man in the Arena” “80% return on 20% effort”....and the old stand-by:

“I’d rather sit alone on a rock, and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion”

Pretty deep...can’t seem to find any 16Bore stickers for my truck or any other swag for that matter.

But I’m a fan!

The outdoor whoring will kill the outdoors, and in the end the outdoor whores. (and all the others)

It would be one thing if the whores could kill themselves off, but their thirst for attention will be paid for by the innocent bystanders, who have pointed out the folly from the beginning.

On occasion I'll recognize an exact area he hunts but never once did I bookmark it in my head as a place to go or apply in the future just because he was there. Maybe the opposite actually.

I was under the impression that Randy didn't make money from his show. He actually claims this himself on the show and states that he is still a working Accountant. I think he is a good advocate and voice for hunters in an increasingly tumultuous time to be such.

Gobbler36

WKR
I cringe if a video pulls up of his, imo which doesn’t count for much but i think videos like his have just about ruined hunting in the west, look at the point creep every year and the overcrowding every year in otc units because he puts all this out there to make a dime at the expense of hunting that he so calls cares about. He is one that always makes laugh because on his videos if he runs into someone else hunting where he is, he is the first to flip his shit, and be an eagle eye and watch for any infractions seems pretty hypocritical to me, he should go invite the guy in his camp and show him where the big bulls are.........

Randy is a good guy and does a lot for conservation. He’s too cavalier IMO about sharing info on particular areas for business reasons. And he really wants every hunter to apply for multiple states for business reasons, he talks about putting in all over and buying gohunt constantly, so he’s not very helpful with the point creep (leap) issue states are dealing with. I agree that he’s somewhat of a sellout and it’s really unfortunate that so many guys care about hunting because of profit reasons these days. You used to just be a hunter and enjoy time outside.

On occasion I'll recognize an exact area he hunts but never once did I bookmark it in my head as a place to go or apply in the future just because he was there. Maybe the opposite actually.

I was under the impression that Randy didn't make money from his show. He actually claims this himself on the show and states that he is still a working Accountant. I think he is a good advocate and voice for hunters in an increasingly tumultuous time to be such.

I think he meant he doesn't turn a profit. I'd be surprised if this is still true.

gburk

WKR
What I've seen of Randy I like. True, he has sponsors and that can be off-putting. I'd explain it this way: he wants to advocate for public lands to the typical American (eg, way less than 500 posts on Rokslide ;) ) with some interest in the outdoors and hunting. To do that he feels a polished presentation with professional camera work, decent audio, not to mention a steady stream of tags in a variety of states, all of which takes money. The alternative is either he would have to be independently wealthy, or produce on a shoestring resulting in an objectively inferior product. He chose to get some sponsorships and make a real company out of it, at the expense of the freedom to say what he really thinks about every product out there. I highly doubt he's making any significant amount of money at it... but I'm sure it's a lot more fun with free gear, corporate relationships, and a team to work with. And it's more effective if public lands advocacy is the goal. I'd probably do the same.

As far as mentioning unit names, it's all fun and games until someone mentions yours. But what are you going to do, this is the information age. Anyways, to say that his viewership and success hinges on purposefully divulging location secrets is not accurate IMO (which i think has been charged in this thread, before it veered into "sellout" territory).

pbcarch

WKR
Being relatively new to western hunting, goin into my third season, I did view Randy’s info at the start. But it was for how to start and how to gather info, where to look , etc....the basics, never did I look to go where he was. At this point I watch YouTube videos to watch and learn how they handle situations.
I also looked at other people’s info, fish and game (draw data, elk reports, historical data, unit info in general) , googled all I could, did on-x-maps, go hunt ....
If you want to be serious about this you need to put in the work ahead of time. Then you simply get your but out there and learn as you go. I have found that even being out there many locals will talk to you and give you pointers, but don’t ask, if they feel your ok and polite they will offer it to you.
I also need to say many people on this site gave me good pointers and tactics. Again it’s general info so that I can learn on my own, don’t expect anyone to just point you to this area and do this (heck I wouldn’t want that anyway)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

targetpanic

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted most of my life all over New England, from the mountains of NW Maine to the backyards of Fairfield county CT and would like to think I know what I'm doing most of the time (well at least some of the time). When we first started researching Western hunts Randy's videos and podcasts, along with hunttalk and Rokslide, were a game changer for me. His content made understanding the basics of different states draw systems easy to understand. His videos showed different types of country and where they found game in that type of country. Things that seemed like drinking through a fire hose became more like drinking through a garden hose. We were able to take what we learned and have a successful DIY mule deer hunt. Before all this research and help along the way I would have only considered doing a guided hunt.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
Completely enjoy watching his shows. He has been an advocate for public lands before it was cool. His shows are non BS ,over the top, hunting high fence shows. He grinds public land and has introduced people to the sport. If by "Selling out" means making a living doing what he loves, more power to him.

EastMT

WKR
There is some reasonable things to be critical about him, being pretty open about areas. I know on his sheep hunt I’ve hunted that area and can show you exactly where he camped, the slope he killed his sheep, literally exact places. But it’s a high pressure area so I’m not worried about it and won’t be in there.

As far as him losing his shit, sure he’s frustrated when he bumps into other hunters, but I am too. He always says, that’s public land hunting, just the way it is. Seems to me like most times he gets bumped by others he ends up in a better spot anyway so it works out.

I’ll tell you right now, I’m not a Howa fan, but if they’d make it possible for me to hunt for a living I’d pimp the shit out of those rifles. I’m sure they shoot good as I’ve heard but I have my preferences but if I get paid to use them I’m in.

If I could live the dream id shoot, wear, sleep in, look through, drive whatever would pay for me to continue to push public lands, hunting rights, conservation.

Randy has been up there annoying the crap out of lawmakers for years, that’s how he ended up with the connections, friends, and partners he has. I wouldn’t call selling out, racers out stickers on the cars, fighters wear boxers branded, sports heroes pimp all kinds of crap right down to soup. It’s the name of the game, you have to have sponsors to keep the show rolling.

OP
Trevor73402
I’m not going to deny that Randy is a great voice for sportsmen and does a lot for public lands but I have to agree on the sellout concept at least in part. I wholeheartedly agree that his sharing specific units is totally ridiculous and made me loose a ton of respect for him in that regard (not the advocacy part). A couple years ago he was rifle elk hunting in a particular unit that wasn’t hard to draw and made a specific comment about how many elk were in the unit (being good) and then named the unit. It by chance was a unit I had on my very short list since 2014 and now it takes triple the points to draw. Chaps my azz every time I think about it. That stuff is just plain dumb and it is nothing more than being a click whore. Total bs.

As for not having time to do research as the OP mentioned, I’ll throw the bs flag on that too. I was busy, and when I say busy I mean it in a way most will never experience back in 2014-17 and I found plenty of time to work 2-3 jobs for 80-100 hours a week, have two little kids, hunt, fish, and research for hunts in multiple states. To say guys like you NEED guys like Randy to lessen the curve for you is a cop out.

The other thing I’ll say about Randy is that he used to be the “on your own adventure guy” but then slowly you saw him often hunting with his “friend” who just HAPPENS to be a guide on this ranch in this unit..... He may be your friend but don’t pawn off hunting with your buddy who guides on some land be it public or private as the same DIY PL type of thing OYOA was initially. Again, a bit of a sellout there.

I always respect what Buzzh says but I’m off the Randy bandwagon based on his current public persona. Good for him as I’m sure he’s making more of a living off it now but I just can’t swallow what I see. That one unit reference is 90% of it.
I sure hope your week gets better bud. Maybe you need a hug.

cnelk

WKR
Im surprised that nobody is pissed at The Hunting Public, and all the places they show

Im surprised that nobody is pissed at The Hunting Public, and all the places they show

There's too many people to be mad at right now with such little time.... next week maybe.

Count me in on team Randy. I likely haven't seen all of his stuff but barring something completely off the wall I can't imagine why some are so starkly against his mission.

Last edited:

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
...i think videos like his have just about ruined hunting in the west, look at the point creep every year and the overcrowding every year in otc units because he puts all this out there...

This may be the case for you, but for those that are now out there experiencing hunting in the west because of his show, it would be the opposite perspective. He encourages people to get out there and try something they may not have otherwise thought possible. This is a good thing and creates more advocates for being able to do what we are blessed to be able to do.

blackdawg

WKR
Newberg fan here. He has a pair, we need lots more guys like him representing us!!!!! No secrets left, google earth and the internet sealed the deal 20 years, dont whine just get out there and do it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.