Opinions on the information Randy Newburg shares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wapitibob

WKR
No good deed goes unpunished.

Randy has people filing FOIA requests for his film permits so they can learn where he hunts. I suspect when he finally tells a guy asking about NM 16E on his forum "go watch this video", it's more about giving the finger to the FOIA guys than anything else. That's the only hunt area I've seen him reference, and he was back there again after that so it's not like a turn and burn situation.

Brooks

WKR
Ol Randy lost me when he came to my home unit and made a tv show then put the unit up on his web site. It’s hard enough to draw tags without a tv hunter splashing units all over. I saw him at a podunk little gas station in SWNM this last fall and a few years ago I would have gone over and said hi and good luck but really didn’t feel like talking to him because it really p’s me off. I wish these tv hunters would keep their mouth shut and if they want to tell people where they’re at they should tell guys to PM them.

Randy has people filing FOIA requests for his film permits so they can learn where he hunts. I suspect when he finally tells a guy asking about NM 16E on his forum "go watch this video", it's more about giving the finger to the FOIA guys than anything else. That's the only hunt area I've seen him reference, and he was back there again after that so it's not like a turn and burn situation.

He shares way more specific areas. It’s fairly routine at this point.

ljalberta

WKR

This sounds a little ridiculous. FOIA applications only apply to federal government agencies.

I’ve never heard Remi Warren or the other SoloHunter guy share specific areas.

Steve Rinella does some but not quite as like as Randy.

We’re at the point where outside of a commercial interest people who are Western locals would have no reason to broadcast specific areas or tell everyone the exact process of how to apply for various states. Thank sponsorship money for that. Forums have become much more selective with specific info areas in the last couple years, including MM and Rokslide, because it’s become clear that nonresidents are a flood and trying to soak up information as much as possible to shorten the learning curve. But the good old money makers will keep sharing specific areas, how to apply, where to draw, etc. for some coins in their pocket.

The commercialization of hunting is very unfortunate. I’ve felt the pull to have a hobby business in the outdoors industry but I don’t want hunting to be about money for me. And if I did pursue it, I would want it to be a limited audience to minimize the effects. Imagine if Newberg charged $150 per year for his hunt videos. The audience would shrink significantly and I think that would limit effects to the resource.

The response from the money makers with broad audiences is they are supporting conservation and increasing hunter recruitment. Western hunting recruitment is not a concern. When guys are waiting 30 years to draw a tag in Utah or Nevada or New Mexico, you have more demand than supply. States keep moving from general areas to limited entry due to massive supply. The talking heads could support conservation without promoting widespread audience hunting info that includes info sharing that is damaging to current hunters.

Okhotnik

WKR
The problem with zero experience is well.....you have zero experience. And quite frankly don’t benefit as much from information that you do obtain.

I started bowhunting out west before we had access to all this information. The thing that helped me the most was...your not going to believe it, but just showing up. Just going hunting was and is the biggest hurdle to success . Just show up and go freaking hunt. Good things will happen if you do.
That sounds like too much work to me.

I prefer to be spoon-fed info and scream and complain if I don't receive said info ASAP.

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
One could argue that forums like this one and others like it have done at least as much harm as Randy, as far as putting pressure on any "secret" hunting areas/units/states.

I think they go hand in hand. Newburg and others started pimping out Arizona coues deer and December/January OTC hunts. Then the forum questions asking for units and “dont want your honey hole but...” followed Right behind them.

ljalberta

WKR
Forest service and BLM require film permits. Took less than 15 seconds to find his post detailing the actions people were taking.

That makes a lot of sense. I misunderstood the earlier post.

I suppose that’s one way to research though!

elkduds

WKR
Randy Newburg has done and continues to do more for the future of DIY hunting on public lands than 99.9% of the posters here, more than anybody hosting hunting shows or videos. Of course he praises his sponsors, they pay for him to share his message of public hunters on public lands. He is tirelessly advocating for hunters and public lands, and shares those efforts online so people like me can do likewise. I'd be bummed if he outed my spot, but that would be a drop in the bucket compared to the benefits of his conservation and access advocacy. He is the real deal, walks the talk, is honest and understands the big picture better than anyone most of us will ever meet. He has a lot to teach us about the future of hunting in America, if there is to be a future.

wapitibob

WKR
I hunted a spot that was on "Guy's top 5", featured on Randy's show, was the topic of several forum threads on at least 2 different forums, and it had an increase the following year of exactly 1 application. I believe when you get into dbl digit points, those guys pretty much know where they're going. Places like NM without points and 3 dart throws is probably a different story.

I hunted a spot that was on "Guy's top 5", featured on Randy's show, was the topic of several forum threads on at least 2 different forums, and it had an increase the following year of exactly 1 application. I believe when you get into dbl digit points, those guys pretty much know where they're going. Places like NM without points and 3 dart throws is probably a different story.

Yeah and then there are the areas that talking about it results in 2x applications. There’s some of both.

Gobbler36

WKR
This may be the case for you, but for those that are now out there experiencing hunting in the west because of his show, it would be the opposite perspective. He encourages people to get out there and try something they may not have otherwise thought possible. This is a good thing and creates more advocates for being able to do what we are blessed to be able to do.
Yeah yeah I know we gotta have more and more hunters
This may be the case for you, but for those that are now out there experiencing hunting in the west because of his show, it would be the opposite perspective. He encourages people to get out there and try something they may not have otherwise thought possible. This is a good thing and creates more advocates for being able to do what we are blessed to be able to do.
yeah yeah I forgot that if we don’t get hunters stacked on top of each other that it’s going to go away. I don’t drink that kool aid either

BuzzH

WKR
Its all Randy's fault, never mind the 350 outfitters in Wyoming that take a metric chit-ton of people to all kinds of places on public land. Those thousands of hunters they guide don't wear blind folds to the hunting areas. The mountain of publications and web-sites that do NOTHING but make recommendations on areas, go hunt, hunting fool, epic, eastmans, toprut, and probably another couple dozen I've never heard of.

Anyone want to talk about scouting services? Yeah, probably not.

How about facebook and hunting boards like this one?

How about google earth?

Lets get real, how about every single GF website having a hunt planner? There's more readily available information on the GF websites these days than you could find in 2 years of asking your friends and relatives about 20 years ago.

Its not one person, its not one thing that is driving the demand...and to put the blame on one guy is pure crap.

There are people that chase units when they discover them in Eastmans, a hunting board, etc...but IME, by the time they are "discovered", many that hunt there find themselves behind the curve and hunting on memories. The good hunters are already on to the next spot.

Units change, management changes, pressure changes, hard winters, drought, all influence units, wayyyyyyy more than who's drawing tags there.

The savvy hunters aren't married to any particular area, and those guys are usually way ahead of the curve and secure enough in their abilities that they know the unit isn't important as the "how" when it comes to taking above average animals.

I've said it a hundred times, you can give a crappy hunter the best tag in the state, they'll still find a way to blow it. Conversely, you can give a great hunter the worst tag in the State and they're still going to find and kill a great animal.

I have so much hunting available to me, the last thing I'm going to worry about is an increase in applicants in a couple areas I hunt.

Gobbler36

WKR
I’ve never heard Remi Warren or the other SoloHunter guy share specific areas.

Steve Rinella does some but not quite as like as Randy.

We’re at the point where outside of a commercial interest people who are Western locals would have no reason to broadcast specific areas or tell everyone the exact process of how to apply for various states. Thank sponsorship money for that. Forums have become much more selective with specific info areas in the last couple years, including MM and Rokslide, because it’s become clear that nonresidents are a flood and trying to soak up information as much as possible to shorten the learning curve. But the good old money makers will keep sharing specific areas, how to apply, where to draw, etc. for some coins in their pocket.

The commercialization of hunting is very unfortunate. I’ve felt the pull to have a hobby business in the outdoors industry but I don’t want hunting to be about money for me. And if I did pursue it, I would want it to be a limited audience to minimize the effects. Imagine if Newberg charged $150 per year for his hunt videos. The audience would shrink significantly and I think that would limit effects to the resource.

The response from the money makers with broad audiences is they are supporting conservation and increasing hunter recruitment. Western hunting recruitment is not a concern. When guys are waiting 30 years to draw a tag in Utah or Nevada or New Mexico, you have more demand than supply. States keep moving from general areas to limited entry due to massive supply. The talking heads could support conservation without promoting widespread audience hunting info that includes info sharing that is damaging to current hunters.
Best post I’ve seen on this forum. Hunter recruitment is bs any state I’ve ever been in whether be back east and especially out west has no shortage of hunters lining up at trail heads, hell look at the demand for leases in the east that has driven prices through the roo

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have so much hunting available to me, the last thing I'm going to worry about is an increase in applicants in a couple areas I hunt.

Relish in that while you still can. Time's are changing. Just 12-15 years ago and before that I'd literally have the entire place to myself for most of my areas, for the entire season. These days.......fat chance. I've hunted 4 different areas in the last 5 years.......which is also kind of fun checking out new areas. But I'm the kind of guy that doesn't like to see another camp within miles of me. Same for fishing.

Gumbo

WKR
Don't hate the man, hate the platform. Youtube, the internet, digital everything, cell phones, and the interstate system have killed the US and life as I used to know it. I cast a WIDE net, Randy Newberg is so small he slips right on through it.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’d love to hunt that place or a place like it, that Buzz and Randy hunted where they saw all those bulls.

Heck, I’d “settle“ for a place where I could see elk everyday. Lol

I’d love to hunt that place or a place like it, that Buzz and Randy hunted where they saw all those bulls.

Heck, I’d “settle“ for a place where I could see elk everyday. Lol

Yeah, no problem. It's max points so if you start saving points right now you'd probably draw in 2080. Get your rifle sighted. Randy shared enough information on that one so you'll have no problem figuring out which unit it is in.

Status
Not open for further replies.