Opinions on the information Randy Newburg shares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuzzH

WKR
Yeah, no problem. It's max points so if you start saving points right now you'd probably draw in 2080. Get your rifle sighted. Randy shared enough information on that one so you'll have no problem figuring out which unit it is in.

Its been a max point area for a long time...and its changed drastically.

The guys that apply there thinking they're going to have the same type of hunt are in for a shock.

Its been a max point area for a long time...and its changed drastically.

The guys that apply there thinking they're going to have the same type of hunt are in for a shock.

The type 2 wasn’t max when Matthew Newberg drew it if I recall right. Guys dissected this all in depth on the forums.

BuzzH

WKR
The type 2 wasn’t max when Matthew Newberg drew it if I recall right. Guys dissected this all in depth on the forums.

One less than max in the special, still is and always has been....and like I said, its not the hunt it was then, at all.

Last edited:
One less than max in the special....and like I said, its not the hunt it was then, at all.

There we go. Thanks for your honesty. Anyways, you make some good points about all the good Randy does. That should be noted.

He also should consider how many honest experienced hunters he’s alienating by oversharing and broadcasting on specifically where to hunt. Heck he even shared secrets of where he antelope hunts in Wyoming and I thought that was sacred to him. You could easily go where he hunts in New Mexico and his most recent Arizona hunt. It’s not careful by any means.

BuzzH

WKR
Whatever you say...he's one guy and if folks want to chase coat-tails their whole life...go for it.

I've had people follow me from town, look for my vehicle at trailheads, bug my friends and family about areas I've hunted, and hack my draw results.

I don't care...they're no threat and competition to me at all.

It isn't the where, its the how...and coat-tail riders will never savvy that.

Brooks

WKR
No good deed goes unpunished.

Randy has people filing FOIA requests for his film permits so they can learn where he hunts. I suspect when he finally tells a guy asking about NM 16E on his forum "go watch this video", it's more about giving the finger to the FOIA guys than anything else. That's the only hunt area I've seen him reference, and he was back there again after that so it's not like a turn and burn situation.

That’s not the only NM unit he broadcasted for darn sure.

If I had to pick a big name in outdoor media to use as a compass for where to stand on issues and values related to hunting, Randy would be my guy. I hold him in higher regard than anyone else I can think of in that space.

Or course, we're all human. I have heard him publicly give directions (roads, turns, physical markers) on what areas to hunt in some units in the SW. If I were hunting that area frequently I'd sure be pissed. He's only one fella out there and to blame him for widespread problems is ridiculous, but there's more than one spot he's significantly degraded for others by talking about it. None of that changes me agreeing wholeheartedly with Buzz's take "Randy is owed a hell of a lot more thanks than he'll ever get."

3forks

WKR
Randy and other guys like him have made careers for themselves based on their accomplishments. Those same guys have chosen to promote themselves and create their brands - there‘s nothing wrong with that. However, for every noteworthy social media hunter, there’s probably dozens that are just as successful (maybe even more) that we’ve never heard of - or will know of - because they choose not to promote their successes on social media.

Randy’s successes as a hunter don’t somehow give him the right to decide that providing details on on the areas he hunts isn’t an issue. In my opinion, it’s inconsiderate.

i count eye guards

Lil-Rokslider
Some of ya'll take yourselves way too seriously. I get respecting your elders, paying credit where credit is due etc. But if you act like a bitch, that's how you're gonna get treated.

Randy is all good in my book, and for the YouTube hunters - a pretty respectable guy. Why he drives a Nissan is beyond me though.

Sioux33

FNG
Randy has sat on the board of RMEF, battled public land issues for over 30 years, been at the forefront fighting the wolf reintroduction, advocated for hunters in the political and state wildlife management arenas, and helped steer hunting TV back to respectability. Yet, I scroll through this thread and see nothing but ungratefulness, pissing and moaning, because he might've shed some light on "your spot".

I actually ran into him elk hunting this year and chatted a bit. Was as good of a guy in person as you see on tv. And let me tell you, this was no secret spot that he let the cat out of the bag on. If guys can't think for themselves and need someone to blame for not filling their tag, they need to shift the blame to the man in the mirror. Agree completely with Buzz, the 10%ers are 10%ers for a reason, it's not Randy's fault if you don't fall into that category.

Responding to the last few posts:

1. No one contests that Randy is a great voice for conservation. I really appreciate and admire his efforts there.
2. The issue is sharing specific spots knowing that it will make them more crowded and not caring when there is no other reasonable explanation for doing so besides commercial interests, more followers, etc.
3. The guys who’re annoyed with the oversharing on places to apply and specific places to hunt are those who spend their boot leather learning an area and being successful there only to have it blow up with crowds because someone wants to make a buck pimping specific hunting spots. (Good term pulled from earlier post.) It’s a matter of respect

zacattack

WKR
Man there’s some serious butt hurt in here.

Being new to western hunting I can say that I have thoroughly enjoyed his shows and am thankful for info that he gives out.

BuzzH

WKR
Responding to the last few posts:

1. No one contests that Randy is a great voice for conservation. I really appreciate and admire his efforts there.
2. The issue is sharing specific spots knowing that it will make them more crowded and not caring when there is no other reasonable explanation for doing so besides commercial interests, more followers, etc.
3. The guys who’re annoyed with the oversharing on places to apply and specific places to hunt are those who spend their boot leather learning an area and being successful there only to have it blow up with crowds because someone wants to make a buck pimping specific hunting spots. (Good term pulled from earlier post.) It’s a matter of respect

A savvy hunter might take note of where Randy hunts...and then choose to hunt elsewhere and apply smartly based on that information.

No matter where you hunt, its always somebody else's "spot"...

Where do you suggest a person hunt to not give away a "spot"?

What's specific? GPS coords? Unit? Drainage? State? Mountain range?

Its public land, its the information age....get over it.

Being new to western hunting I can say that I have thoroughly enjoyed his shows and am thankful for info that he gives out.

Totally agree man. It’s so lame people aren’t cool with hunting celebs broadcasting specific spots. So where is the best area in your state to hunt? Would be happy with a buck that’s just in the 150” range (whitetail). Thanks a million.

A savvy hunter might take note of where Randy hunts...and then choose to hunt elsewhere and apply smartly based on that information.

No matter where you hunt, its always somebody else's "spot"...

Where do you suggest a person hunt to not give away a "spot"?

What's specific? GPS coords? Unit? Drainage? State? Mountain range?

Its public land, its the information age....get over it.

That’s awesome Buzz. I’m really glad that to not be a hypocrite you will have to tell us in detail where you hunt. My pen and paper are ready. As you said, the good hunters would still succeed so it wouldn’t affect you at all to tell everyone here where you consider the best places to hunt.

Sioux33

FNG
What specific unit did he "pimp out" to make a buck and get some follows? As far as I know, the closest thing he reveals is a quadrant of a state, i.e, SW MT, SE MT, etc. If that's piss in your Cheerios, you need to get real.

Gobbler36

WKR

Sure your thankful for it because you don’t have droves of people showing up to your state to go hunt.... maybe the back 40 episodes will start sending us western hunters your way

Brooks

WKR
Its not the hunting spot , it’s the units he talks about. It’s hard enough to draw without putting it out like he does. I talked to guys last year who knew nothing about the unit and live thousands of miles away and put in and drew because of him. I can imagine how many other guys apply.

tdhanses

WKR
I like Randy but do think he tries to hard to give new hunters a easy leg up. I think he would be just as successful without doing this and this also has nothing to do with conservation. Also, when it comes to sponsors I believe he only aligns himself with companies he fully trusts, maybe why he pimps them so much.

In reality I don’t base any of my decisions off of anyone else, maybe they grab my interest but I’ll still research the crap out of it and may try it if I think it’ll be good but in the end all they did was make me aware of it. Maybe some new hunters take a different route and buy things just because he uses them. Randy is a pretty basic hunter when you boil down his style of hunting and I think what he uses just works for his style. I do know when he started OYOA he used Sitka and Mystery Ranch on his own dime, didn’t get sponsored until a few seasons in. Heck he pimped Nissan for years and they finally just started sponsoring him, he used their product because it worked well for him sponsored or not and I can respect that in him, I don’t feel he jumps after the first company throwing him money and goods as he hasn’t really changed up his gear since he started his original show.

I also believe he made a large personal investment that didn’t pay off for many years but grew it to have the ability to employe multiple people, I don’t think he personally takes a big amount of $$ out of the business but maybe I’m wrong but yup he gets a ton of cool gear free which in itself is huge to not have to buy.

Overall he has been a great ambassador for hunters, more so then 99% of us posting on this forum. I could careless if he plasters my unit all over the web, there miFit be more people on the roads or trailheads but 95% of them will never see an elk do to their style of hunting or lack of experience with the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.