Opinions on the information Randy Newburg shares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Okay but seriously that really should be considered a criminal felony..

That's funny.......because all the old men I've known including my dad, they were the one's that turned the thermostat up. Seriously.......old people have more trouble staying warm, so they set the thermostat higher than normal. I'd go visit my parents and it was like a sauna when you walked into the house, and the thermostat would be set at 80.

ODB

WKR
From idahohikker: “But between Randy and other hunting celebs we now are past point creep and into point leap just in the last few years.”

It’s funny, in a recent meateater podcast Rinella even admitted he no longer scouts like he used to. He said when you get to a certain level, are in the business, etc., you are just a phone call away....

I think this is a reason why the celebs don’t feel it like the average Joe - they are just a phone call away from a great spot...

NoWiser

WKR
Helpful hint. If a spot Randy hunted gets outed and draw odds tank, apply somewhere else. There are almost limitless opportunities for quality hunts throughout the west.

I spend more time each application season sorting through hunts I can draw than worrying about ones I can't.

I have only lived in Colorado and Montana. I know I would never want to live some place as crowded as NJ; but you do. You laugh at guys like me because we don’t know about pressure? I know enough about it not to want anything to do with what you’re describing. To me, your post comes across as condescending. You have to be aware that what makes the west unique is the space we have to recreate and live, right? Instead of trying to convince us that we have no idea about pressure and should just embrace it like you do, why don’t you consider that maybe you should appreciate the lack of crowds you experienced on your hunt and understand why some western hunters don’t want the same crowds you seem to like?

You completely missed the point. I am appreciative of any public lands to hunt and fish.

My point is if you put in the work and not worry about what others are doing you will be successful. You will also live longer not sweating the little inconvenience of bumping into another like minded person doing what you both love.

If that sounds condescending then so be it.

I hope you had a good season this year and wish you well in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

targetpanic

Lil-Rokslider
I will NEVER understand the reason people complain when high point unit details are shared. The best I can compare it to is Moose hunting in New England where you are lucky to draw once in 20 years. I've been part of quite a few moose hunts over the years in NH and Maine and am more than happy to share any info I have learned/experienced from those hunts...I want to see others be successful, why wouldn't you!!!!!

BuzzH

WKR
Randy does not reflect well on you to be tied to Buzz. I share what I feel is a thoughtful response and certainly Randy is always measured and thoughtful. Buzz is anger and boasting and lines like this:

Guys like Randy and I were applying for tags while your mom was changing your poopy diapers. Which, based on the amount of crap you're spewing, and the way you're crying like a baby, sounds like you could use a fresh diaper now.

Buzz, again, since you have no problem with broadcasting specific areas, we’re all waiting for yours. You’ve already said it won’t hurt you at all since it’s about the hunter not the area.

Let me tell you Junior, you'd be severely disappointed with the areas I hunt, they're far from secrets. To illustrate the point, if you look at the harvest stats where I hunt in Montana, and have for 39 straight seasons, the highest elk harvests were less than 150 elk a year, currently probably 30-40 elk a year (including cows shot by youth hunters). Check stations reported 6-7% success and that's counting deer, elk, bears, lions, sheep...anything that comes through.

But, the reason that my family and I have killed, and continue to kill some quality animals there, is because we've spent the better part of 6 decades hunting there. I can assure you, there is nobody alive on planet earth that knows the area we hunt better, just a straight up fact. I've trapped there, fished there, hunted there, my whole life and the number of hours spent there by myself and family...many wouldn't believe. We didn't try to short-cut success by filing a FOIA request, watching a youtube video, or following somebody from town. We hunt smart, know the country better than anyone else alive, have done the work, and flat get it done. You really think seeing a stranger hunting there threatens me? Not hardly...I rarely see them again.

You would probably have more luck and find a better area by throwing a dart at a map of Montana than hunting where I do.

Let people chase around and apply where they want with the information they gather...

Of all the things to worry about in regard to hunting, your whining about areas getting "blown up" isn't even in the top 50...

Let me tell you Junior, you'd be severely disappointed with the areas I hunt, they're far from secrets. To illustrate the point, if you look at the harvest stats where I hunt in Montana, and have for 39 straight seasons, the highest elk harvests were less than 150 elk a year, currently probably 30-40 elk a year (including cows shot by youth hunters). Check stations reported 6-7% success and that's counting deer, elk, bears, lions, sheep...anything that comes through.

But, the reason that my family and I have killed, and continue to kill some quality animals there, is because we've spent the better part of 6 decades hunting there. I can assure you, there is nobody alive on planet earth that knows the area we hunt better, just a straight up fact. I've trapped there, fished there, hunted there, my whole life and the number of hours spent there by myself and family...many wouldn't believe. We didn't try to short-cut success by filing a FOIA request, watching a youtube video, or following somebody from town. We hunt smart, know the country better than anyone else alive, have done the work, and flat get it done. You really think seeing a stranger hunting there threatens me? Not hardly...I rarely see them again.

You would probably have more luck and find a better area by throwing a dart at a map of Montana than hunting where I do.

Let people chase around and apply where they want with the information they gather...

Of all the things to worry about in regard to hunting, your whining about areas getting "blown up" isn't even in the top 50...

@RandyNewberg this is where I again call on you to disassociate your yourself from someone as over-the-top rude and overbearing as Buzz.

Buzz, I’m not a youth. Just stop, you don’t know my age.

And where’s the spot in Wyoming Buzz? If you don’t share it, it proves you’re fine with other people’s units being blown up (huge increase in hunting pressure) from celeb hunting freely broadcasting areas but not you’re own. Wouldn’t that be hypocritical. Where’s the spot?

Gobbler36

WKR

I don’t think you get it, to me its less about certain areas and just the constant cry for people to come hunt out west and be the next big bad western hunter for instagram , if you’re truly trying to say that hunting out here hasn’t changed the last 15 or more years you’re freaking nuts and probably senile... and a large portion of why that is, is because of guys like Randy, sure he stand up for access and what not but it doesn’t matter to him how many people he runs into or how he effects hunting out here good or bad because he gets to take the entire fall and drive around and hunt till his hearts content, where us lowly peasants if we have a week or mostly less to get it done the flooding of others can be disappointing

BuzzH

WKR
@RandyNewberg this is where I again call on you to disassociate your yourself from someone as over-the-top rude and overbearing as Buzz.

Buzz, I’m not a youth. Just stop, you don’t know my age.

And where’s the spot in Wyoming Buzz? If you don’t share it, it proves you’re fine with other people’s units being blown up (huge increase in hunting pressure) from celeb hunting freely broadcasting areas but not you’re own. Wouldn’t that be hypocritical. Where’s the spot?

How does a limited quota area, with the same number of permits year after year see a huge increase in hunting pressure?

I hunt the Blackfoot Drainage in Montana...there, now we can be friends again.

Oh, and in Wyoming, I hunt the Sierra Madre's, Snowy Range, and Bridger Teton for general elk...happy?

Last edited:
Well, i'm a sophomore elk hunter from Tennessee with only one year under my belt, but I feel like I can see both sides. Personally I like Randy more than a lot of the youtube/instahunters. Guy seems genuine, uses gear that works whether its free to him or he pays for it. Seems to set a great example for the passion of hunting the right way, enjoying the process, loving the land, respecting the kill.

At the same time, I can understand the guys who don't like it. However the problem is in the people who shortcut. At the end of the day if the new hunters and out of Stater's would put in the work instead of looking for some magic video or a "where should i hunt"post without any leg work, I feel a lot of guys wouldn't mind it as much.

Last year we picked a unit off stats and lack of grizz. Used Newbergs/Jacobsens approach to GE scouting. And picked some places. We worked our butts off with camp on our back for 4 days and were in elk the first two days, then not a single bugle the next two. We went back to town to regroup for the second half of the trip.

Ran into a local at the bar, started talking to him, told him where all we went, how many miles we had put on. Then when he found out we did all of that with 50 lb camp on our back, he was impressed and said "its supposed to be grueling, but not that grueling". The guy had already filled his tag. We ended up using our ATV to pack out a bear he had the next morning, he gave us coordinates to his spike camp still stocked with firewood, and some areas to look for elk. Now we message back and forth on IG and hopefully will hunt with him sometime in the future. But we're going to CO this year and definitely arent gonna go back to his spots without talking to him first.

Moral of the story, get out there, put in work, be nice to people, help guys you meet. New hunters with a shortcut mentality seem to be what ignites the hatred of people Like Newberg who give just enough information to be fuel. But thats just my take.

I live in an area that is surrounded by hundreds, of not thousands of a acres of public land in all 4 directions from my home. As close as 15 min away to 2-3 hours away. Never in my life have I ever referred to any piece of that land as “My spot”. That reference, and how some who appear to be educated/intelligent use it, baffles me. I have no idea where any of you hunt, but if I show up to hunt at “your spot”, is it now also “my spot”? Or is it still “your spot” and I’m just a visitor? When does it become “my spot”, because I have no doubts that “your spot” was once “someone else’s spot” that you decided was then “your spot”. See how ridiculous that sounds? I love to eat at Chic-Fil-et. I guess that makes it my spot and it pisses me off that they have a sign up showing where they are and advertisements on TV. Sometimes I have to wait in line as much as 6-7 minutes before I get my food. I have no doubts that this is because other people found out about “my spot”.

Chick-fil-A was my spot. I was there before you and everyone else.

I wish y'all would stop riding my coattail.

BuzzH

WKR
I don’t think you get it, to me its less about certain areas and just the constant cry for people to come hunt out west and be the next big bad western hunter for instagram , if you’re truly trying to say that hunting out here hasn’t changed the last 15 or more years you’re freaking nuts and probably senile... and a large portion of why that is, is because of guys like Randy, sure he stand up for access and what not but it doesn’t matter to him how many people he runs into or how he effects hunting out here good or bad because he gets to take the entire fall and drive around and hunt till his hearts content, where us lowly peasants if we have a week or mostly less to get it done the flooding of others can be disappointing

I want people to hunt out West...what makes you so special that you feel it should be reserved for you? I mean all that effort you put in for that one week...must qualify you for special privileges?

Its your problem that others have time to spend hunting, scouting, and the like...they make it a priority.

I spend a boatload of time hunting, 26 days this year just hunting sheep...and I'm not rich, don't have a TV show, don't have an Instagram or facebook account.

I'm the guy you loathe because I make it a priority I guess, tough luck, your problems are not my problem. Keep that monkey on your back, don't throw it on mine.

I wont apologize to anyone for hunting 2-3 months a year...I made that possible by choices...the same as others choose to only spend a week a year.

Last edited:

ewade07

WKR
Sounds like you need to reassess your personal choices on hunting time. And Randy doesn't advocate out-of-staters to come in to be the next big bad western hunter for instagram, not once has he ever eluded to that. Do some research on how much revenue is dropped into a state from out-of-state hunters.

Brooks

WKR
This thread has nothing to do with ...is he a good guy or not he probably is, it’s about giving out way to much info on UNITS. The guys reading this and living somewhere besides elk country or living in a place he hasn’t put on tv/web site probably love it but the guys who have spent many years trying to figure a unit out hate it . Im sure he has places close to his home he wouldn’t talk about and give out info where guys without ever stepping foot in it are now all applying for it. Do your show,mention the state, then shut up about where you are!!! I'm glad this thread has come up and Mr Newburg has read through it. I had been thinking about starting one for some time ever since he blew my unit up worse than it already was. Like I’ve said it’s hard enough to draw tags without putting it on a website or video !!!!!

Chad E

WKR

You can blame the economy for the flood of folks taking up the western big game app game. Sure readily available info helps people take the jump but disposable income is what gets you there. The next recession will see apps drop again.

I see the term my spot my unit my this my that used a lot in this thread. The sense of entitlement some folks have is shocking.

Sioux33

FNG
To me, this sounds like more of a personal issue, than a Randy issue. There are always gonna be those that think it's their world and everyone else is just living in it, they're entitled to "their spots", nobody better be at "my trailhead", yada, yada, yada. Never gonna please a narcissist.

Then there are those that are just happy to be able to spend time chasing critters in God's Country. Happy to have someone like Randy advocating for the future of hunting and conservation.

So, to say he's ruining your draw odds and crowding your unit because he showed some video at a damn doughnut shop is just freaking ridiculous. Some of y'all need a reality check that hunting is about more than you filling your tag and see the big picture that in today's ever liberal moving world, Randy is one of our biggest assets as hunters.

This thread has nothing to do with ...is he a good guy or not he probably is, it’s about giving out way to much info on UNITS. The guys reading this and living somewhere besides elk country or living in a place he hasn’t put on tv/web site probably love it but the guys who have spent many years trying to figure a unit out hate it . Im sure he has places close to his home he wouldn’t talk about and give out info where guys without ever stepping foot in it are now all applying for it. Do your show,mention the state, then shut up about where you are!!! I'm glad this thread has come up and Mr Newburg has read through it. I had been thinking about starting one for some time ever since he blew my unit up worse than it already was. Like I’ve said it’s hard enough to draw tags without putting it on a website or video !!!!!

^^^ Bingo ^^^

johnsd16

WKR
PM sent to Randy.

The unit that shocked me when he called it out was a WY elk unit that could be drawn with 1pp in the special and wasn’t 0% with 0pp. I’m not talking about some max point unit, who cares about info on those? The number of guys that can get one of those tags can fit in one room. It’s also a small unit and he pulled no punches on saying how epic it was. Now it’s <5pp special. Is he all the reason, probably no, but still bad form. It’ll be interesting to see if he answers my pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.