Opinions on the information Randy Newburg shares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuzzH

WKR
The day I feel threatened by having other hunters using public land and applying for a permit to hunt is the day I hang it up...

Never have understood how so many have the entitlement attitude they do when it comes to hunting or public lands. You're a co-owner with 330 million others...deal with it.

ODB

WKR
To me, this sounds like more of a personal issue, than a Randy issue. There are always gonna be those that think it's their world and everyone else is just living in it, they're entitled to "their spots", nobody better be at "my trailhead", yada, yada, yada. Never gonna please a narcissist.

Then there are those that are just happy to be able to spend time chasing critters in God's Country. Happy to have someone like Randy advocating for the future of hunting and conservation.

So, to say he's ruining your draw odds and crowding your unit because he showed some video at a damn doughnut shop is just freaking ridiculous. Some of y'all need a reality check that hunting is about more than you filling your tag and see the big picture that in today's ever liberal moving world, Randy is one of our biggest assets as hunters.

Don’t conflate “Being out there” with “hunting.” Hunters are engaged in a specific activity, hikers and others just “out there” are not.
Hunting involves much more than killing, of course, but to say that “just being out there” is equivalent to hunting is like comparing chalk and cheese. And the more you allow those things to merge, the closer you are to losing one of them...which one will it be?

BuzzH

WKR
Don’t conflate “Being out there” with “hunting.” Hunters are engaged in a specific activity, hikers and others just “out there” are not.
Hunting involves much more than killing, of course, but to say that “just being out there” is equivalent to hunting is like comparing chalk and cheese. And the more you allow those things to merge, the closer you are to losing one of them...which one will it be?

If you're worried about losing one of them...whining about your hunting areas being "blown up" isn't going to do anything to lessen that worry. Fact.

Sioux33

FNG

Where did you read that I said "just being out there"? If "chasing critters" is confused with hunting, I'm sorry I wasn't specific enough. I think we're now to the grasping at straws point, folks.

Rich M

WKR
You haven't a clue and you've tipped your hand as well. You make it sound like you're some salty old veteran that's been there and done that, but then whine because you're young and want everything right now. Well, if you're just starting in the out of state applications, you're 20 years too late. Guys like Randy and I were applying for tags while your mom was changing your poopy diapers. Which, based on the amount of crap you're spewing, and the way you're crying like a baby, sounds like you could use a fresh diaper now.

Point systems drive point creep and the reasons you're seeing an increase in mid-tier units is because many have already drawn a tag or two and have burned their max points. Now they're looking for options with less than max and many are on their 3rd or even 4th tags. Party applications and point averaging in many states also drive point creep.

Again...its the how, not the where...

Buzz - you are a salty old fart. That's where some guy got the idea that older guys have the advantage in that they have been collecting PPs for longer and it's just not fair to the younger generations. LOL!

Takem

WKR
My brother and I put in for the unit Randy's son drew in Wyoming the same year with the same amount of points. We had put in for it on and off for a few years and we never caught up. It looks like it got harder to draw and we've moved on to other ideas. So be it. We've had to move on from hunting areas we've hunted and areas we planned on hunting for all kinds of reasons. Even if Randy didn't do as much for conservation and hunter recruitment as he does I still don't think I'd be bothered. It is what is. I have a great time on every trip I go on no matter the results so it really doesn't matter if I have to move areas.

Beendare

WKR
The internet has expanded the amount of information out there on everything- including hunting. Can't turn back the clock on that.

Its all spawned a whole legion of folks that want Celebrity, Influence and Income from providing their content. I like Randys stuff...but he is one of these folks like it or not.

I see this internet info as one more tool....its how you use the info that matters.

Trials nailed it with his boots on the ground comment. A particular canyon 4.5 miles in and 3,000' in elevation change that I scouted on GE for elk from last year and was convinced had elk comes to mind. Boots on the ground confirmed- nada.

Michael54

WKR
The amount of people offended that a member of the public is talking about public knowledge on public land that the public pays for via taxes amazes me. If you want to lay claim to something buy it and pay taxes on it. If not grow up already. Technology is a gift and a curse on so many levels...

ODB

WKR
The amount of people offended that a member of the public is talking about public knowledge on public land that the public pays for via taxes amazes me. If you want to lay claim to something buy it and pay taxes on it. If not grow up already. Technology is a gift and a curse on so many levels...

Care to share your favorite public land spot?

Hunting burns is a freaking zoo anymore and I believe he is partially responsible for that.

I also believe he is a great ambassador to our way of life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironically I am listening to a podcast by Jordan Budd. She is interviewing a guy who scouts and sells the information for a living. He also mentioned a specific spot he took Jordan just this fall. He was talking about how he scouts, specifically about burns in detail for both mule deer and elk

My point is ALL of the educational and entertainment content about western hunting has the potential of inadvertently being a spot burn.

It all comes down to those that put in the time and are willing to go where others aren’t are going to be successful in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foldem

WKR
The WHY of the business, since started in 2008, has been “To promote self-guided public land hunting and create advocates for that cause.” Makes it easy to decide what I will/won’t do, what sponsors I will/won’t accept, and keeps a focus on the reasons my wife and I agreed we wanted to do this.

Watch this video.
https://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_how_great_leaders_inspire_action?language=en

@Randy Newberg I appreciate what you do to advocate for hunters and public lands. I'd say that you've been wildly successful at fulfilling your WHY.

The woods are getting more and more crowded from ALL segments of users. It's a fact of life folks. Way more of the non consumptive users vote than hunters. I'd rather hear from Randy than the Youtuber's and instagrammers that are in it primarily for the likes.

ODB

WKR
My all time favorite public land spot is a mountain laurel patch right below my house. If you ever want to hunt pennsylvania and shoot a big whitetail let me know and you can crash at my place.

I’m close enough I just might....

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
@Randy Newberg - I want to add to the other comments above, that I too appreciate all that you have done to promote hunting, the mountain experiences and all that you are continuing to do to help ensure these are available to the public. Please don't let the few sour comments in this thread dissuade you from continuing onward in your pursuits. Keep after the "WHY". There are many more folks that understand and thank you for your efforts, than rant about some spot being outed in some way (donut shops or DQ locations aside - those are my secrets). Keep up your advocacy for our public lands and public land hunting and I and many others will continue to enjoy the content you provide. If some are too worried about hunting a specific spot to get that huge trophy, increased draw odds or encountering too many others in their favorite spot well, not much can be done to help them. Some character traits just obfuscate where the real emphasis and enjoyment of the outdoors should be. Some might also complain if someone bought them a Dilly bar, brought it to them on the mountain served it to them and then had one drop fall due to meltage. Oh well. Keep up the fight and your advocacy - your efforts are truly appreciated.

I only wish you hadn't changed offices so I could still harass you and the camera guys regularly. ;)

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
ETA: I never intended for this thread to turn into what it did. I wouldn’t have ever started it if I had any idea. Lots of negativity and anger. I came to Rokslide to get away from that type of shit.

Don't feel too bad man one thing I've learned sadly it doesn't matter what you post on here. You could write "the sky is blue" and "Jesus was good" and people would have some kind of argument to the contrary. Just try and find the enjoyment in a good disagreement discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.