Opinions on which 280ai to keep

So, I have been thinking about selling one of my 280ai rifles but I could use some options. I just don't need 2 and I am not the type to keep things I don't use. I would sell both but growing up I always wanted a 280ai so I feel I need to keep one. They are equally accurate and I like the feel of both.

My Kimber was my first one. It shoots great. No complaints.

The Tikka came next. I just wanted a nice slightly heavy, maybe easier to shoot rifle so I sent an action to Hells Canyon and ordered an Allterra stock.

Now I'm torn on which to keep. Part of my delimma is I have gotten a suppressor and plan to get another. I really don't have a need for a 24" barrel. But again, I feel I need to keep one for nostalgia.

So, which would you keep and why?
IMG_20221104_214713481~2.jpg

As far as I’m concerned there shouldn’t even be a question…keep them both.
In all seriousness, if I had to part with one, it would most definitely be the Tikka. Tikka’s are great shooting rifles no doubt, but they’re a dime a dozen, and if you ever wanted to replace it, you’d never have a problem finding one. Definitely not the same with the Kimber. I have quite a few rifles, including 4 Kimber’s and one Tikka T3x, and no way would I ever get rid of any of those Kimber’s before getting rid of the Tikka. On the other hand, it would probably be a whole lot easier to off load the Kimber, so if you’re looking for a quick sale, the Kimber would probably be the one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
MuleyFever
Trick question.

Sell them both, buy a custom rifle.
Nope. I dont see the value in a full custom. Too many really good factory options including a Tikka with a prefit. My rifles are for hunting and a 1/4" difference in accuracy doesnt do me any good in a hunting situation. That is assuming the custom will even shoot that much better. Also assuming my reloading skills are that good. I also have plans so move away from reloading.

OP
MuleyFever
As far as I’m concerned there shouldn’t even be a question…keep them both.
In all seriousness, if I had to part with one, it would most definitely be the Tikka. Tikka’s are great shooting rifles no doubt, but they’re a dime a dozen, and if you ever wanted to replace it, you’d never have a problem finding one. Definitely not the same with the Kimber. I have quite a few rifles, including 4 Kimber’s and one Tikka T3x, and no way would I ever get rid of any of those Kimber’s before getting rid of the Tikka. On the other hand, it would probably be a while lot easier to off load the Kimber, so if you’re looking for a quick sale, the Kimber would probably be the one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Valid points and I feel what you are saying. The Kimber just has something about it.

Nosferatu

Lil-Rokslider
Nope. I dont see the value in a full custom. Too many really good factory options including a Tikka with a prefit. My rifles are for hunting and a 1/4" difference in accuracy doesnt do me any good in a hunting situation. That is assuming the custom will even shoot that much better. Also assuming my reloading skills are that good. I also have plans so move away from reloading.

Killjoy.

TN2shot07

WKR
I’d like to vote keep both but I have a very similar mindset about not keeping stuff that doesn’t get used. As said above the Tikka would be way easier to replace later if you decided to. As someone that’s looked at a couple of 280s lately I’m jealous of the Kimber!

Ikmclean

Lil-Rokslider
Which one do you find yourself grabbing more often when you head into the field? I get that the Tikka is probably easier to replace but if there isn't something sentential about either they're both just tools in the end.

BAKPAKR

WKR
How much does each rifle weigh and shoot? Also, do you plan on hanging your suppressor on whichever one you keep? If so, how does the Kimber shoot with a suppressor? I have no experience with it, but it seems to me that it would mess with the harmonics on that light of barrel.

If you like the Allterra stock, one consideration is that Allterra Arms is no longer offering them for sale except as part of one of their complete rifles.

Edit: I just saw the post by @83cj-7 in the thread https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thr...ressed-long-action-what-caliber.284175/page-2. It looks like his cut down Kimber handles a suppressor fine.

Last edited:

idahodave

WKR
Keep the Tikka, more aftermarket support.
Doesn’t look like what he has built needs a whole lot more support.

I’d likely lean towards whichever shoots the 162 ELD-X the best…which I have arbitrarily decided is THE bullet for the .280ai. Can’t be more than about a pound difference between the two can there? Either way, you’re pooping in tall cotton with either of those fine rifles my friend.

Dave

OP
MuleyFever
Which one do you find yourself grabbing more often when you head into the field? I get that the Tikka is probably easier to replace but if there isn't something sentential about either they're both just tools in the end.

I just got the Tikka this spring so I have not hunted with it. I planned to this fall but then I got a suppressor so I build a 20" 7 SAUM that I am going to use.

OP
MuleyFever
How much does each rifle weigh and shoot? Also, do you plan on hanging your suppressor on whichever one you keep? If so, how does the Kimber shoot with a suppressor? I have no experience with it, but it seems to me that it would mess with the harmonics on that light of barrel.

If you like the Allterra stock, one consideration is that Allterra Arms is no longer offering them for sale except as part of one of their complete rifles.

Edit: I just saw the post by @83cj-7 in the thread https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thr...ressed-long-action-what-caliber.284175/page-2. It looks like his cut down Kimber handles a suppressor fine.

Bare the Tikka is 6lbs 10oz and the Kimber is about 5lbs 8oz. I would like to use the suppressor going forward but dont really see me putting it on these with the barrel length. Maybe for an open country antelope hunt I guess.

OP
MuleyFever
You guys just may talk me into keeping both. Maybe cutting down the Kimber and rebarreling the Tikka.

amassi

WKR
I think you should rebarrel your tikka. While it's out of commission you should sell me that alterra stock

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk