Opinions on Zeiss V6 3-18x50

Wapiti406

WKR
Picked up a 280ai last week and looking at options for glass. Currently leaning towards the Zeiss V6 3-18x50. For those of you that have used this scope, what is the good/bad/ugly. I was thinking about a Leupold VX5 or 6 but it looks like a few people have sent them in for warranty issues.

Phil j

Lil-Rokslider
I love mine great glass I have it on a 7.5lb 28 Nosler so it takes recoil well and dialing has been spot on.

Subbed...finally the found rifle I was looking for last week and a vx-6hd 2-12 was already mounted and it was being sold as a package only.....so know I own one...never used Leupold before or Ziess...need to start pay attention to other products on the market.

Last edited:

J Dubaya

FNG
Subbed...finally the found rifle I was looking for last week and a vx-6hd 2-12 was already mounted and it was being sold as a package only.....so know I own one...never used Leupold before.
If for some reason you decide you dont want the Leupold 2-12 hit me up, as I am in the market for a used one.

6.5x284

WKR
I have the V6 3-18 and love it. I pre-ordered it the moment it was released and it's been terrific. It has a lot of scratches and has taken some good falls. I was hunting mountain goats this year, and took some pretty good falls too, including a couple falls out of the bike while riding. I didn't have time to zero after the mountain goat trip and took it elk hunting after. I had a small window at 351 yards of the bulls throat quartering too, and made a perfect shot exiting behind offside shoulder. For me the scope has proven extremely reliable. I'd never sell it. I've sold all 3 of my NF ATACR though.

Overwire

FNG
I have 1 on a Tikka 7rm. It's probably only seen 100 rounds and I haven't tested it's ability to withstand a serious impact, either intentionally or unintentionally, so I can't speak to it's durability at all.

As mentioned the zero stop is nice and easy to use, clicks feel nice. I have not static mounted it to verify tracking but have not observed any deviation large enough to be noticeable within my shooting ability when dialing for shots.

The resistance to rotation of the turrets is relatively low and combined with the relatively large diameter of the knobs and relatively aggressive grooves I have had my windage knob inadvertently move on me a couple times while hunting. Always caught it prior to making a shot. Since I have had it happen a couple times I am constantly checking and will probably fabricate a zero lock/hold for it.

In my opinion, at least on the sample I have, the glass is sort of meh... for the price. These things are touted for their low light performance but my 4-16x42 F1 ATACR absolutely resolves detail longer in side by side comparison at dusk despite the smaller objective and greater minimum magnification. The ATACR is also overall sharper at 16x as the V6 does seem to loose a little resolution as it approaches max mag. In a hunting situation right at 30min before sunrise the V6 has been sufficient to make a shot out to 300 yards in relatively open country but I wouldn't say that it was sharp in the one time I was under that scenario. Don't get me wrong, I think the glass is good, I just don't think it is exceptional.

Edit: I'll also add that my scope weighs 24oz vs the advertised 22oz if that matters at all to you.

Last edited:

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I am trying to decide on a new scope as well for a custom build in 7mm RM.

I have used Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 F1 scopes and been generally happy, but I wanted to try something lighter, and possibly with better glass quality.

I have been looking at the Zeiss V6 3-18x50 F2 along with NF NXS 5.5-22x50 F2 along with a Swaro X5i 3-18x50 F2. I have not looked through a Zeiss V6, so I cannot speak to glass quality, but I was a little concerned about the reticle not being illuminated.

I just took a nice hog in the last few minutes of shooting light this week in south TX with my Razor HD, and it was nice to have the illuminated reticle.

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
Love it.
Clear
Dials well
Great zero stop that is easy to set.
A couple questions for you regarding your V6:
  • What magnification do you need to use for hold over with the reticle (ZBR-2 or ZMOA-2)?
  • Are the hash marks on the reticle in 1 MOA increments?

A couple questions for you regarding your V6:
  • What magnification do you need to use for hold over with the reticle (ZBR-2 or ZMOA-2)?
  • Are the hash marks on the reticle in 1 MOA increments?
Zmoa 2
18x Magnification
2 Moa

But depending on the exact model they have different reticle that have different subtentions.

You have to download the brochure and owners manual if you want to sort thru the options.

In general whatever number Zeiss is using after the reticle name, is the subtentions.
Zmoa 2 is 2 moa
Zmoa 1 is 1 moa

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
Zmoa 2
18x Magnification
2 Moa

But depending on the exact model they have different reticle that have different subtentions.

You have to download the brochure and owners manual if you want to sort thru the options.

In general whatever number Zeiss is using after the reticle name, is the subtentions.
Zmoa 2 is 2 moa
Zmoa 1 is 1 moa
That's what I was thinking. Appreciate the confirmation.

Totoro

WKR
Wish it came with lume, at that weight I would be hard pressed not to buy a couple to replace the others that I have.

That being said, I would be hard pressed to get rid my NF.

BluMtn

WKR
Had a Zeiss HD5-25 that I liked except when it got around 0 or below. You could not turn the power ring. I sent it in to Zeiss and explained the problem and they had it for about a month and returned it. Put it in the freezer and chilled it, then tried to turn the power ring and it would turn but with a lot of force. So I sold it.

28bang

WKR
I had one sample of the v6 3-18 and the colors didn’t look right to me. They looked washed out and maybe it was just the one I got. It bothered me and I got rid of it.

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I had one sample of the v6 3-18 and the colors didn’t look right to me. They looked washed out and maybe it was just the one I got. It bothered me and I got rid of it.
What scope did you end up choosing to replace your V6?

I do like mine, 3-18x50, the glass is a pleasure to look through and the eye box is very forgiving. The dialing gives extremely positive clicks and the zero stop is very easy to work with.

I wish they had a better reticle option with a floating dot, first focal plane, capped windage, and to really nitpick, I prefer mils but could easily live with MOA.

I have an NX8 now for a 300 PRC, the eye box certainly isn't as forgiving but a more solid set of features for dialing and making corrections on the fly. If I didn't value those, the Zeiss V6 is a no brainer. The V6 is currently on my CVA Paramount and I love dialing with it. On the fly corrections for a follow-up shot isn't really on my mind though.

RDG_RNR

FNG
I’m currently between the V6 3-18X, Maven RS1 and the NF NX8 2.5-20X to go on my .300WM.

haven’t been able to look through any of them yet, but I like my Maven B2s, and it’s sounding like the glass between the V6 and RS1 may be comparable. no doubt the NX8 probably has the quality and clarity checked off.

The ‘zero stop’ on the Maven is my reservation, but I think I could manage and the price is pretty good as well.

If the V6 really weighs 24 instead of 22oz, then it’s closing the weight increase for the NX8 which is my reservation there.

I keep spinning on these. Anyone have opinions either way?