Opinions Please

Would appreciate hearing opinions on what we should have done differently from this missed opportunity...

My buddy and I spotted 8 bucks in a basin last week about a mile away from our glassing spot. They were traveling from one basin to the next in what almost looked like a migration line and seemed very relaxed. At around 11a, they bedded down...four of them behind a willow bush and 4 in some nearby timber. Once bedded, neither of the two groups were visible. We left our glassing knoll and stalked within 250 yards directly below where they were bedded, and set up behind a rock formation. Not knowing precisely where in the timber the bucks were, and using treelines, gullies, and contours for cover, this seemed the safest way to get into rifle range without risking exposing ourselves. We sat behind the rocks for the rest of the day, waiting for them to get up from their bed, but they never presented themselves and eventually darkness set in and we crept back out. The next day after a morning and afternoon of glassing without spotting them, we walked back to their bed from the previous day and could see their tracks heading out, presumably under the cover of darkness the prior night to the next basin beyond. So the question is, after missing out on what seemed like an excellent spot and stalk opportunity, what should we have done differently?

1. Should we have set up in a different location to try and get a better view (back door them next time and/or set up more to the side rather than below)?
  2. Should we have tried to get them to stand or bust them out as daylight was starting to dwindle?
  3. Or did we do it right and it was just a bad break?
That became our debate over the following days from the hunt as hindsight is 20/20. Any opinions on what to do next time? View from our rockpile, 250 yards below their bed...

IMG_0686 (1).jpg

I was not there [none of us were there, except you] and so it's difficult to speculate, but I would imagine they (bucks) scented you when you were approaching your ambush station and they (bucks) slipped out of there undetected before you were even setup. Thermals rise during the day.

Sounds to me like you guys had a good plan. I’m guessing they moved out of there during your stalk or when you were in position there were probably some escape routes that you couldn’t see from your new perspective. I’m not really a fan of trying to spook them to stand, because who knows how they’ll react. The only way to have known for sure would have been to leave someone at the original spot where you could see them in their beds.

I was not there [none of us were there, except you] and so it's difficult to speculate, but I would imagine they (bucks) scented you when you were approaching your ambush station and they (bucks) slipped out of there undetected before you were even setup. Thermals rise during the day.
This! You set up below them during the day when your scent was rising. I bet they were gone not ling after you set up. Next time if possible sidehill to them so your scent doesn’t make it’s way up mid say but also doesn’t drop to them when it cools of later in the day.

Leaving one guy at the original soot to glass is a very good idea too. Keep your eye on the ball as they say.

In a similar scenario once, I watched two bucks bed down and knew that going straight up wasn't an option due to rising thermals so I hiked way around and got on top of the ridge, while my friend was in original spot watching them like suggested already. We used hand signals so I knew when the bucks stood up and what direction they were moving. It almost worked, but they went the only possible direction I didn't have a good shooting lane. They never winded me though.

Marble

WKR
IME I approach one full ridge over from where I want to be. Then when I'm on that level I sidehill and belly crawl over the top ready to shoot.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
Gaucho Wino
Appreciate the feedback everyone, definitely a learning experience. (y) We were checking the wind and it seemed in our favor, but things can no doubt change quite a bit over the course of a day so that may have indeed been what happened. Next time we'll take a different angle...

Not sure how much time transpired from when you left your vantage point to your arrival at the ambush site, but if it was more than 30 minutes, it could be that the bucks relocated all on their own accord. Hard to say what actually happened, because I wasn't there.

OP
Gaucho Wino
Not sure how much time transpired from when you left your vantage point to your arrival at the ambush site, but if it was more than 30 minutes, it could be that the bucks relocated all on their own accord. Hard to say what actually happened, because I wasn't there.
Probably 30-45 minutes…it took about 30 minutes to get eyes back on the willows and then probably another 15-30 minutes working into our rock spot. It was definitely on our mind that they could have moved out during that transition. Leaving one of us to glass would have definitely been beneficial, but 8 bucks and 2 tags was hard to resist…

i have noticed that bucks bed down initially and watch the secondary bed for about 10 minutes. then they get up and head to second bed really business-like. then they stay there for most of the day. i always go WAY around and up over the top of them. coming from below was likely the problem. they can see you and as said above, the thermals of hot air blowing up mountain carried your scent to them. better luck next time

jedi

FNG
Appreciate the feedback everyone, definitely a learning experience. (y) We were checking the wind and it seemed in our favor, but things can no doubt change quite a bit over the course of a day so that may have indeed been what happened. Next time we'll take a different angle...
the wind is one thing but thermals are totally different. it was hit on by someone else, your wind might have been great, but your thermals just took your scent right up to them. best guess from the info you provided. its the joys of learning(sarcastic but true) that drive us to keep going after it. youll get the next one