Opinions Salomon Quest 4d Gtx?

Been looking at buying some new boots for a while. I like the price point and reviews I’ve been seeing on the Solomon’s online. Any one have any good or bad experience with them that could be useful knowledge before I pull the trigger on them? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
Got a pair last month off amazon for 175. Only wore them three times so far but I’ll tell you the one on my left foot feels great, the one on the right hurts like hell! The pain is in a strip about 1/2 inch wide on the right edge of my right foot. Pain was so bad I made my wife drive home after a 3 mile flat land hike.

OP
Rickbomb96
Got a pair last month off amazon for 175. Only wore them three times so far but I’ll tell you the one on my left foot feels great, the one on the right hurts like hell! The pain is in a strip about 1/2 inch wide on the right edge of my right foot. Pain was so bad I made my wife drive home after a 3 mile flat land hike.

That’s interesting. I wonder if it has to do with there sizing.

Hondo

WKR
Ditto on the best suited for dry and non-rocky terrain comment. They tend to leak and don't provide as good of traction on rocks as many other options do. They are comfortable, supportive and lightweight but are overpriced at full retail. I would like mine better if they didn't have the Gore-Tex liner.

Not the quest, but I just bought a cheaper generic version of it at Sportman’s called the Authentic LTR and they feel pretty damn good. $52.50 on clearance.

I own 2 pair. Both leak. They do not breathe and are very warm on my feet. They are comfortable and I feel give reasonable traction for the areas I hunt. I really like the fit and feel on my feet.

If it's wet I run my lowa tibets and kuiu gaiters. The lowa are fantastic. I own 3 pairs and wear them for work.

I feel the salomons are basically shoes on steroids. They have their place but fall well short of my tibets.

prm

WKR
I have many 1st rifle elk seasons in CO that I’ve worn the Salomons. Still my favorite and the one I go back to. I have three pairs and none leak. Though CO is not an extreme test of keeping water out. They are the one boot where my feet stay dry. My feet sweat a lot and most boots don’t breathe well enough. They are also the one boot where my feet don’t hurt at all after putting in many miles. CO 1st rifle is on the edge as to whether an insulated boot is desired. Most years I prefer uninsulated. I did have the Salomons on one year when we got 9” of snow and it was #&@$ cold. They were fine if walking, but my feet got cold if sitting or just standing. Other boots I’ve worn elk hunting include Vasque, some older Italian brand I forget, Danner Pronghorns, Crispi Colorado’s, and Crispi Guide GTX.
I ordered some Hanwag Makras to try. But when in doubt, the Salomons are getting the nod.
28918A99-D5F9-445A-A0C7-7EFDAB1E0ECD.jpeg

Last edited:

NYSKIER

WKR
If you search around on the site I think there was a review on them last year or the year before. They are a good boot but you may have to replace them often and treat them with waterproofing

brsnow

WKR
I have 8 years of year round use here in Colorado and finally had to treat them for waterproof last fall. From archery to 4th season Elk have been great. Best boots I have ever owned. Can’t imagine the miles I have on them.

Super super comfortable boots. They were not overly warm for early archery in the mountains. Perfect archery season boot imo. Idk if I would go into late season with them personally

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

FlyTheW

FNG
Have had mine for probably 4 years with no issues. Not the warmest, as others have mentioned, but comfortable enough to wear all day. Haven't really put the waterproofing to a true test but I've used them in wet grass/mud/snow with no noticeable leaking.

I have several pair, and wear them for work daily. Very comfortable fit, and fit true to size- I wear an 11D (med) in everything including the Salomons. NOT real waterproof, but if they get wet, I just put them on a Peets boot dryer, and put on a different pair the next day. I will continue to buy them for daily work wear as long as they are available.

OP
Rickbomb96
The waterproofing is something that’s definitely keeping me from pulling the trigger so far. Being in the pacific north west it’s definitely important that they don’t leak often. Maybe I’ll just pick up some overtime and pick up some crispis. It’s a tough decision to make though when I can get the Salomon’s for $138 vs the $300-$400 crispis.

Will_m

WKR
The waterproofing is something that’s definitely keeping me from pulling the trigger so far. Being in the pacific north west it’s definitely important that they don’t leak often. Maybe I’ll just pick up some overtime and pick up some crispis. It’s a tough decision to make though when I can get the Salomon’s for $138 vs the $300-$400 crispis.

I am thinking the same thing. That being said, I suspect the waterproof issue isn't unique to salomons. I think any GTX fabric boot is probably susceptible to soaking through. If I was going to be around that kind of moisture, I would probably go leather and keep them waxed.

There's also a thread on here somewhere that shows how to completely waterproof fabric boots like you would seam seal a tent. But, to me, that defeats the purpose of having a fabric boot. They might not be that breathable before, but after sealing them with silicone, it seems like they would wear like ankle high rubbers.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I've ran a pair for about a year. I've stood in water several times. No leaks. The best part about them is the weight - very light. But, they aren't super sturdy if you are looking for that sort of boot (more of a mountain boot), and the leather is thin. I had a piece of cactus go through mine. The rubber is starting to peel after a year. Seems to happen to most boots in this class. I've probably put on 100 miles since March (thanks to COVID), still going strong.

Overall, for the price they are decent boots.