Opinions Wanted: Which party should pay return shipping for misrepresented item?

Which party should pay for return shipping on a misrepresented item?

• Buyer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seller

Votes: 74 100.0%

• Total voters
I assume the bow wasn’t in your draw length to begin with as the dL would be a big deal? I personally wouldn’t go through the hassle over 5lbs of draw weight which is literally insignificant. However, it was misrepresented so there is no way in hell you should pay one dime extra. Literally amazes me how clueless people can be about their own equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. I used PayPal Goods & Services for this purchase, so I do have a recourse if we can't come to an agreement. I'd prefer to resolve this without having to file a claim with PayPal, but that option is available.

The for sale post listed a "to your door" (i.e., seller pays shipping) price and asked for the buyer to cover the 3% PayPal fee if using Goods & Services, which I did. I appreciate your questions and have tried to analyze this situation from all angles. If I were in the seller's position, I would feel obligated to issue a full refund and cover return shipping costs since the buyer was not at fault in the transaction.

no more questions from me. He should pay that shipping.
Sounds like you have a solid reason to complain.

Anello

Lil-Rokslider
Seller should cover shipping costs as a measure of good faith, if for no other obvious reason.

I saw a post mentioning that the seller is legally required to pay for shipping. That appears to be true. UCC covers goods and has rules for this situation (although they vary by state -- so check your state regs). Generally, you, as the buyer, would be rejecting an imperfect tender. Accordingly, you would be responsible for (1) notifying the seller in a reasonable time (you did), (2) hold the goods using reasonable care (you are), and (3) give the seller reasonable time to arrange for the removal or return of the goods (sounds like you are doing just that).

So, just politely remind the seller to do so. Sounds like an honest mistake that he/she should remedy.

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
If in fact the seller incorrectly described the item in question that is false advertising and the seller should be held responsible for all expenses related to the item in question. With that said it doesn't surprise me that the same person that would misrepresent something is also making unreasonable demands.

Quin

FNG
How much is it to ship a bow anyway? (honestly I have no idea) Is this a case where you split it down the middle just to save the argument and phone calls and complaints to pay pal, etc.?

(For what its worth, I do think the seller should pay return shipping.... but I've also been through a similar situation where I came to the realization that the time (and frustration) I was spending outweighed the relatively small dollar value lost.)

Lowndes

FNG
Seller should pay and if he isn't willing to do what is right he should be banned from using the classifieds on this site.

16Bore

WKR
Sucks all around. Buyers gotta ask questions and sellers gotta describe things.

I’d rather lose a little shipping than get a bunch of crap here. If he bought the bow new he’s loosing his ass anyway.

I couldn’t tell you the draw weight or length on my bow. I pull it back, arrow hits where I’m aiming. It’s a G5 something.

So Ok, I’m ignorant. I shoot a 30-06 too.

OP
Mighty Mouse
I couldn't convince the seller to cover return shipping even after linking him to this thread, so I accepted the purchase price refund and cut my losses instead of chancing the long and uncertain process of filing a claim with PayPal. I posted the full details of our transaction in a separate thread. Caveat emptor.