Opinions welcomed on packs

Nick13

FNG
So I’ve hunted elk twice and I’ve not been successful as of yet. We had some cheap pack frames in camp and just used sling packs as day packs to hunt with. With all that being said I always thought man we are 5-6 miles from camp this is going to blow if we get one down and have to make the hike out then back in. So all that being said I want a day pack that has a meat hauler and capability to maybe spike camp for 3-4 days. I really want an EXO but it’s way out of my price range. Mystery Ranch offers a great discount for first responders and military that drops it well into my price range and I like the looks of the metcalf.

Mule34

FNG
Mystery Ranch would be my choice, but I have trying to purchase one for quite awhile, they are out of larges FYI in almost all of their packs on the website. So if thats your size you are SOL, I emailed them and they wont have any until 2021.

Mystery Ranch would be my choice, but I have trying to purchase one for quite awhile, they are out of larges FYI in almost all of their packs on the website. So if thats your size you are SOL, I emailed them and they wont have any until 2021.

Ive got a like new Myestery Ranch Selway for a good deal in the classifieds. Check it out

GoHunt.com has Large Metcalfs right now in Optifade. Unfortunately, you just missed the huge Memorial Day and Father's Day sales there and at BlackOvis and Devor. Maybe they'll have another for July 4 or Labor Day.

Superdoo

WKR
I love my new Seek Outside frame. It took me a while to get it dialed in, but man it is so damn versatile!!!! You can put about any bag you want on it too.

Did someone mention opinions? ;) Buy a Kifaru and get it over with and avoid all the frustration associated with packs that have pieces and parts made in China ;)

Pezboat

WKR
I ran the Mystery Ranch Metcalf, Pintler, Sawtooth, and Beartooth. I’d say go after the the Beartooth or Metcalf. All great bags, especially with that discounted price. The Sawtooth was my favorite, but probably a little small for what you want to do. I now run a Kifaru pack. That’s due to trying both the MR and Kifaru side by side with 70+ pounds. The MR was really good at carrying that weight, Kifaru was better. But you do sure pay for it.

OP
N

Nick13

FNG
Did someone mention opinions? ;) Buy a Kifaru and get it over with and avoid all the frustration associated with packs that have pieces and parts made in China ;)
I’m a broke firefighter that’s got most of my surplus tied into tags and fuel money. I can’t come off the hip with that kind money.

I’m a broke firefighter that’s got most of my surplus tied into tags and fuel money. I can’t come off the hip with that kind money.

I'm a problem solver Nick. I'm gonna help you out here with a solution. Take on a second job for a couple weeks and bite the bullet. Buy a frame with your first or second paycheck, and buy a bag with your 3rd or 4th paycheck and then quit your second job at McDonald's, or Walmart just in time for your September elkhunt. Or you can buy used. Tell you what. Since I recently ordered a Hoodlum, if you buy a frame, I'll send you a DT1 pack. Just pm me your address ;)

Trial153

WKR
I know the discount you can get on MR, you'd be crazy to pass that up. Your not getting that much pack for money anywhere else.

I was in your shoes. I went with the Metcalf at the discounted price. Honestly I really like it. I borrowed a Kuiu the previous year and like the MR better. I could probably have went with the pintler, but I take the top off and cinch it down and it disappears on my back. More pockets would be better, but I have helped pack out 4 elk with zero issues

manitou1

WKR
Look at the Mystery ranch Terraframe. They come in a couple sizes, have the same load capability and weight ratings as the metcalf and beartooth and are a bit less expensive. But... they have some external pockets!!! I run the metcalf and find myself wanting for external pockets for my spotter and a quick access to an out garment. My next pack will be a terra frame.

OP
N

Nick13

FNG
I'm a problem solver Nick. I'm gonna help you out here with a solution. Take on a second job for a couple weeks and bite the bullet. Buy a frame with your first or second paycheck, and buy a bag with your 3rd or 4th paycheck and then quit your second job at McDonald's, or Walmart just in time for your September elkhunt. Or you can buy used. Tell you what. Since I recently ordered a Hoodlum, if you buy a frame, I'll send you a DT1 pack. Just pm me your address ;)
I just might take you up on that ........but I work two jobs currently I work two fire departments 48 hrs a shift lol I’m covered up and still broke ! I’m gonna look at frames now though

I just might take you up on that ........but I work two jobs currently I work two fire departments 48 hrs a shift lol I’m covered up and still broke ! I’m gonna look at frames now though

I bought this pack as a back up. I was told it hadn't been used. And it looks like brand new. I mounted my original DT1 on a Tactical frame. Fairly easy to do. This one I was able to mount on my Duplex Light Frame. Felt quite nicely too I might add.

What if you try the “wanted to buy” feature in the classified ads here? Most guys have several packs and you might chase down a deal on a used one b

md126

WKR
EXO SG and Kifaru also offer discounts to first responders.

if cost is an issue buy used off this site. Lots of like new packs get posted after only a trip or two out west