Opportunity to hunt next to Yellowstone

So a buddy of mine has invited me to go hunt with him sep 8-14 on a private ranch that’s never been hunted that backs up to Yellowstone or really really close. I don’t know much about that area but I’m assuming there are big elk and Mukden deer there. It’s a rifle hunt on 40,000 acres of a close family friend that is selling the place apparently. Anyone have any idea of what to expect if I go? It’s 2k to hunt and that includes lodging, an elk tag, mule deer tag, bear tag, mountain lion tag, and a wolf tag.

Thanks for any advice or input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randle

WKR
If it's really close to the park be aware that if your elk goes into the park, you cannot recover it. I guess too many chuckleheads were killing in therr park , then making fake bloodtrails and claiming their animal went into the park and died.

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
What does "included" tags mean, included in your total cost or some type of landowner tag? MT and WY draws are over & not available for purchase, and pretty sure the landowner tags aren't allowable for private sell. ID does have general tags available in some units for elk, not sure of the landowner tag laws there. In any case, I'd do your research to make sure your on the up and up. Sounds like a good opportunity to get away from the crowds.

BuzzH

WKR
WY landowner tags are non-transferable. Montana doesn't have a rifle hunt for bull elk or buck deer that opens prior to Sept. 15th that I know of.

Not sure about Idaho.

Legend

WKR
You are correct. There is no rifle season for antlers animals before Sept 15 (and this season only is valid in the wilderness). Someone is telling a good story but that is all it is.

OP
ddavis_1313
You are correct. There is no rifle season for antlers animals before Sept 15 (and this season only is valid in the wilderness). Someone is telling a good story but that is all it is.

I appreciate the info as I am new to Montana and are more familiar with Colorado regs. These are land owner tags that are provided.

Legend

WKR
Not sure I followed your last post. But I can assure you there is no such thing as a landowner tag in MT for antlered animals.

OP
ddavis_1313
Not sure I followed your last post. But I can assure you there is no such thing as a landowner tag in MT for antlered animals.

I’m just giving you info that’s been passed on to me. And obviously Bc it sounds to good to be true, I came on here to verify. Supposedly, the landowner gets a bunch of land owner tags every year but never uses them and sends them back. Well, this year Bc she is selling the place, has agreed to let a select number of close friends and family hunt using the tags that are given to her. I have no idea how Montana does their tags for animals. I’m from Texas. And I also wasn’t aware that Montana seems to be an archery only state based off the replies here stating there isn’t rifle season to speak of. I came here to get facts and opinion. I have a place to elk hunt. But it’s a small piece of private land and it produces but kind of stick to staring at water holes. Figured I’d jump on this if it’s legit. Who wouldn’t want to hunt next to Yellowstone for $2000

Trial153

WKR
You know what they say about things that are too good to be true? They usually are.

slick

WKR
I’d suggest finding out which state it’s in, and going and reading the regulations.

That’ll give you a good baseline to come back and ask questions.

OP
ddavis_1313
I’d suggest finding out which state it’s in, and going and reading the regulations.

That’ll give you a good baseline to come back and ask questions.

Pretty sure I’ve done that already but can’t find info on how land owner tags work there. Also, the refs can be very confusing for someone that’s totally unfamiliar with the state.

ndbuck09

WKR
It sure sounds like a situation where they're talking about you rolling up to Montana and placing this lady's tags on animals you shoot. I wouldn't even think of doing that as it's a clear violation of the law, ie: its party hunting.

This is speculation but it sounds like there's folks involved, potentially even the landowner since she's never dealt with her landowner tags, that don't really have a lot of knowledge of the laws and what can and can't be done with her said tags. The game warden could probably provide you a good overview when he's confiscating your animals, weapons and giving you a 24 month at the least removal of hunting privileges in Montana (and 47 other states including Texas).

If it were me I would make sure that my friend was also aware that it is illegal to place someone else's tag on an animal he shoots. And as said above, if the landowner can't transfer tags, then that pretty much says it all for what the landowner is expecting will happen when you plunk down your $2000.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
There is no such thing as a Landowner's tag for elk that is available to the general public in Montana. A landowner has the right to apply for landowner's elk tags but those tags can only be used by the landowner and a limited number of employees (1 employee if I read the rules correctly). A landowner can obtain deer permits that they can sell to non-resident hunters.

The hunt areas that are close to the Yellowstone are zones 3&5, there are no rifle hunts available in those areas in September.

There are shoulder season hunts (hunts on private lands for cow elk only) available in zones 3&5, but again, none are available for September.

Last edited:

Btaylor

WKR
Right out of the gate I’d say you guys need trespass insurance even though it’s no help with the party hunting thing- but something tells me that you guys need the insurance.
Yeah that Poachers Protective rider was awesome before they did away with it.

slick

WKR
Pretty sure I’ve done that already but can’t find info on how land owner tags work there. Also, the refs can be very confusing for someone that’s totally unfamiliar with the state.

Not sure you have done it, seeing as you wrote MT is archery only. The best way to get familiar with a state is to read the regulations.

Anyways, I’m in agreement with others in that it probably isn’t what they are pitching it to you as.

If you know the hunting district in which the ranch falls, that would be helpful.

Randy Newberg

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
There are no landowner tags in Montana. This article is a very similar situation where a landowner tried to convince hunters that he had landowner tags from MT FWP. Reading this old article sure has a lot of similarities to what has been posted here.

The original poster is being fed a bill of goods.

OP
ddavis_1313
So, still trying to figure out what district it is, but what was explained to me was “We have to take permits/tags to the parks office and show them. Then they will issue and sell licenses”. Once we are done hunting we have to call the warden and have them check us before we leave. Once we leave we can not return. I called parks and wildlife to ask a few things and right off the bat was told there was no way I could hunt anyways Bc they have sold all of the license for this year and I wouldn’t be able to get one. So it’s contradicting. Odds are, I won’t go. I’m not gonna drive 23 hours to get there and find out things aren’t what they say. I have a private spot in Colorado I can hunt that week and the next that will have elk on it. I figured there would be some guys on here that know a lot more about this state than I do. I also have read the regulations and called the Dow and still confused so that’s why I came here to ask.