Optic Arsenal For Early Season Mulies

khunter20

FNG
Just drew an archery mulie tag in Southern Utah and this will be my first western hunt since getting stationed here last fall. I have a cheap pair of redfield binos that did the job for eastern whitetails but its obviously time to move up in the optic world. With that being said what do you guys typically run for your backcountry mulie hunts. Im considering leupold bx-4hd 12x50 binos and the bx4hd 20-60x85 spotting scope mainly because with military discount they are both a very respectable price without breaking the bank and ive yet to have any issues with any leupold product I currently own. I know the weight for those isnt ideal but im willing to sacrifice a few pounds to save a lot of money. Thoughts and opinions? I picked up the 12x50 bino with spotter combo idea reading an article by Brady from gohunt. Also curious what you guys recommend as far as tripods go. Thanks in advance.

marktole

WKR
12s and a spotter will serve you very well! Buying optics is walking the line of deciding how much you want to spend to get those diminishing returns. Sounds like you’ve got a good idea of what you’re willing to spend on glass with your discount so I say go for it. Could also check for a military discount with some other optic companies, I know vortex offers one.

I run 10x50 and an 85mm spotter. The 10/12s and a spotter is a really popular combo, lots of guys do that so you’ve got the right idea on the optics combo.

As for a tripod, there are lots of good lightweight options out there for hunting. Kinda like optics, depends how much you’re willing to spend. The tripods gohunt has on their store is a good start for ideas on that. I like to look for tripods on a photography website because they have so many more options to compare against.

Shooter45

FNG
Bushnell and Vortex also have a military/veteran/LE discount program that is very good. You have to email them then provide the proper identification or papers but it's a very large discount. I personally have been using the Vortex Viper HD 10x50 binoculars for 8 years now elk hunting and have really liked them. Weight wise they're all fairly comparable in similar size. It's the glass quality that is different from one to the other. A lot of that is going to vary greatly by the individual user and how they're eyes see it though.

Doug from Camerland has been giving great recommendations for the Athlon series as well. I haven't looked through their binoculars or spotting scopes but have looked through the rifle scopes, the upper level ones, and was shocked at the quality.

For a spotting scope I've been using a Swarovski STS 20-60x80. While the image is great, the size of it sucks to carry far and it takes up a lot of room in a pack. The upper magnification is also only as good as the environment will allow. As the day warms up and the mirage starts, you'll most likely have to back way down. There's been some really good reviews on the Athlon 15-45 Ares spotting scope and what I'm looking at getting in the very near future.

While opinions from everyone vary widely on anything, take the recommendations from people that they're using then go look at them with your own eyes if you can.

For an 85mm spotting scope you’re going to need/want a pretty stout tripod. Unless you’re backpacking, I’d get something that weights around 3 pounds for just the legs. Leupold may sell one that could work for you. Without a stable tripod using your spotting scope will be a PIA especially with any kind of wind.

OP
K

khunter20

FNG
For an 85mm spotting scope you’re going to need/want a pretty stout tripod. Unless you’re backpacking, I’d get something that weights around 3 pounds for just the legs. Leupold may sell one that could work for you. Without a stable tripod using your spotting scope will be a PIA especially with any kind of wind.
would you say the 14-45x65 is a better option for the backpack hunter? im not all too familiar with the different magnifications and uses of a spotting scope.

OP
K

khunter20

FNG
Bushnell and Vortex also have a military/veteran/LE discount program that is very good. You have to email them then provide the proper identification or papers but it's a very large discount. I personally have been using the Vortex Viper HD 10x50 binoculars for 8 years now elk hunting and have really liked them. Weight wise they're all fairly comparable in similar size. It's the glass quality that is different from one to the other. A lot of that is going to vary greatly by the individual user and how they're eyes see it though.

Doug from Camerland has been giving great recommendations for the Athlon series as well. I haven't looked through their binoculars or spotting scopes but have looked through the rifle scopes, the upper level ones, and was shocked at the quality.

For a spotting scope I've been using a Swarovski STS 20-60x80. While the image is great, the size of it sucks to carry far and it takes up a lot of room in a pack. The upper magnification is also only as good as the environment will allow. As the day warms up and the mirage starts, you'll most likely have to back way down. There's been some really good reviews on the Athlon 15-45 Ares spotting scope and what I'm looking at getting in the very near future.

While opinions from everyone vary widely on anything, take the recommendations from people that they're using then go look at them with your own eyes if you can.
Thanks for the advice!

would you say the 14-45x65 is a better option for the backpack hunter? im not all too familiar with the different magnifications and uses of a spotting scope.

Depends...an 85mm scope is a lot bigger and heavier than a 65mm scope, and usually needs a heavier tripod. For some guys it’s worth it depending on the style of hunt. Personally if I’m backpacking I bring a 60mm scope with a 2lb tripod. For front country hunts this year I upgraded to a 77mm scope with a 4.5 pound tripod/head. The main benefit I’m getting with a bigger scope is field judging at distance and low light. But I’m carrying an extra 5lbs which is not something I would do on a long pack in.

I would take an honest assessment of what you’re most likely to be doing and how much you care about trophy judging. If you’re going backpacking, or don’t care as much about trophy quality, consider the gold ring 60mm scope (great option, btw). That is a great option from Leupold that would work fine for both. If you need to count tines at a mile, go for the 85mm.

OP
K

khunter20

FNG
Depends...an 85mm scope is a lot bigger and heavier than a 65mm scope, and usually needs a heavier tripod. For some guys it’s worth it depending on the style of hunt. Personally if I’m backpacking I bring a 60mm scope with a 2lb tripod. For front country hunts this year I upgraded to a 77mm scope with a 4.5 pound tripod/head. The main benefit I’m getting with a bigger scope is field judging at distance and low light. But I’m carrying an extra 5lbs which is not something I would do on a long pack in.

I would take an honest assessment of what you’re most likely to be doing and how much you care about trophy judging. If you’re going backpacking, or don’t care as much about trophy quality, consider the gold ring 60mm scope (great option, btw). That is a great option from Leupold that would work fine for both. If you need to count tines at a mile, go for the 85mm.
considering the fact that ive never killed a mulie or even hunted them, im way too much of a greenhorn to be looking for trophies. Any decent deer will make me happy.

considering the fact that ive never killed a mulie or even hunted them, im way too much of a greenhorn to be looking for trophies. Any decent deer will make me happy.

My suggestion would be 10x42 binos and their 60mm spotting scope, if you’re sticking with Leupold. Make sure to get their bino holder for tripod mounting your binos, and an extra quick release plate for the spotting scope. Then you can switch between binos and spotter quickly. IMO you are much better served with 10x42 or even 8x42 binos. Unless you are getting premium optics, higher magnification won’t help you much in finding game but it will give you headaches faster and magnify the imperfections in your glass. 10x42 and a spotting scope is plenty especially for your first season.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved

KK, with that piece of information I will amend my earlier comment. What I would do is take all your allocated funds and put them into a Swaro/Leica/Zeiss alpha 10 or 12 and a tripod. The spotter is 95% for evaluating the trophy. Your main objective is finding animals to stalk and a great binocular is the key there. There is a website for you vets/service members to join for big discounts on lots of gear. I believe it is leoadventures.com; I’d check there or the classifieds for a used pair. Then you can start saving for a spotter if you want to get picky.

ZackP

WKR
Nikon also offers a discount. Would be happy to help you get in touch. It’s definitely not as easy as Leupold/Vortex but I’ve used it to purchase their HG bino’s which are phenomenal. If you would like some info shoot me a PM. I should note that their website prices aren’t hiked up like Leupold/Vortex so the discount is actually quite incredible.

Like Steve O said, spend the money to get better binoculars and hold off on a spotter. You'll use the binoculars 99% of the time; spotters usually come out to get clarification on a target and to field judge.

Give Doug a call.

fatrascal

WKR
I'm another guy who suggests 10x42 bino's and a 60mm spotter. Its been the best tried and true combination for many years. After you learn more you may decide on other options but this has been the go to application for a long time and you can't go wrong with a combination thats worked for so many for so long. I feel that a spotter is very important and while most of us glass up our game with a bino first and then go to spotter, there are many times i look for and find game with the spotter that the bino's would not be able to find. Just my opinion. Fatrascal.

OP
K

khunter20

FNG
Thank you all for the help and advice. After a lot of debating I decided to go with the bx-4 pro guide hd 12x50 binos and 65mm spotting scope and leupolds CF tripod. I understand these are only middle class optics to most but with the discount I think it was tough to beat and these optics should take care of MOST of the situations ill need them for for a few years and all three products seemed to have great reviews. As I learn more im sure ill add or upgrade some things.

Nikon also offers a discount. Would be happy to help you get in touch. It’s definitely not as easy as Leupold/Vortex but I’ve used it to purchase their HG bino’s which are phenomenal. If you would like some info shoot me a PM. I should note that their website prices aren’t hiked up like Leupold/Vortex so the discount is actually quite incredible.
If Nikon has a discount definitely check out the Monarch HG in 10x42. I’d suggest those or some alpha glass binos in 10x42 before you even think about a spotting scope.

you can find and kill plenty of big mule deer without any spotter. Just mount the binos on a good tripod.