Optic for 6.5 PRC

R6721

FNG
I recently purchased an Browning X- Bolt Western Hunter in 6.5 PRC and mounted a NF SHV 4-14x56 on it. I took it hunting in Colorado and felt under powered with this optic. What recommendations do you guys have? I was thinking either a NF NXS 5.5-22 or the Vortex Razor HD LHT 4.5-22.

Spoonman

WKR
What distances did you feel under powered at? If you feel under powered get whatever you want in a higher mag. They are all great choices. I run the same SHV you are and I’m more than comfortable to 700.

davsco

WKR
don't know how far you're planning on shooting but i'd think 14x would be good out to 5-600yds and prob more for some folks. i had that nf 5.5-22 on my heavy PRS rifle and that scope is also HEAVY, but it is awesome. i actually switched it to the vortex 4.5-27 (also HEAVY) to get FFP.

that lht 4.5-22 in ffp (i prefer to hold vs dialing and like an accurate reticle at any X) sounds like a good choice, i just ordered one a few days ago for my 300wsm! frankly i'd be happier if it went lower on the low end and also lower on the top end (so 3-15 or 3-18 or so).

kickemall

WKR
Your SHV is a great scope and should be fine to 1000 at 14 power. If you have to have something with more mag then just choose one that seems to work for you. If you want dependable dialing and return to zero then stay with NF.

OP
R6721

R6721

FNG
Watched a buck (didn’t have a buck tag) out to ~600 yards and with the buck against the trees the clarity wasn’t what I expected. I have a Gen 2 Razor HD 4.5-22x56 on my Tikka Tac A1 and at that distance the clarity was much better. I have read the SHV and NXS glass are the same.

jeez i only use about 15x to ding steel at 1100yards.
i mean if you want more mag power to ya but a 14x should be plenty.
Steel plates are in the open and not partially or mostly obstructed. Some are also a lot larger than some game species’ vitals. They also tend to provide a sharp contrast against the background. All things that are typically abnormal while hunting.

Bit of sarcasm…
Go shoot jackrabbits at 1100 yards with your current setup. Precisely aim behind their shoulders and not “just anywhere” on the jackrabbit. Let me know how it works out for you.

More serious…
Clarity trumps magnification. I’ll take a crystal clear 3-15 scope over a decently clear 4-20 scope any day of the week.

OP
R6721

R6721

FNG
I agree with AZ hunter. So, that being said. Is it worth upgrading from a SHV to a NXS if the glass is the same?

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It would be my pleasure to discuss options with you. Give a call 516-217-1000 and let’s figure out what’s best for you
Doug

madcalfe

WKR
Steel plates are in the open and not partially or mostly obstructed. Some are also a lot larger than some game species’ vitals. They also tend to provide a sharp contrast against the background. All things that are typically abnormal while hunting.

Bit of sarcasm…
Go shoot jackrabbits at 1100 yards with your current setup. Precisely aim behind their shoulders and not “just anywhere” on the jackrabbit. Let me know how it works out for you.

More serious…
Clarity trumps magnification. I’ll take a crystal clear 3-15 scope over a decently clear 4-20 scope any day of the week.
The range is going up a power line, so willow choked background on most plates and there 24”x24” I’ll give you the contrast aspect cause I usually paint them white or orange before starting. Was just saying a good 14x is more than enough within 1000 yards. Personal opinion is all.

Spoonman

WKR
The SHV and NXS glass are the same. If it’s clarity that you are struggling with then magnification won’t help you at all. Some people prefer one optic over another and it may not be the same for the next person. My hunting partner absolutely hates Nightforce and I have 3 of them and love them. Look at a number of different scopes that you like and choose one that fits everything you are after .

OP
R6721

R6721

FNG
Anyone have experience with the LHT 4.5-22? How does it compare to the VX5/6HD or the Conquest V4? Also, looking into Maven and Tract Toric optics.

The SHV and NXS glass are the same. If it’s clarity that you are struggling with then magnification won’t help you at all. Some people prefer one optic over another and it may not be the same for the next person. My hunting partner absolutely hates Nightforce and I have 3 of them and love them. Look at a number of different scopes that you like and choose one that fits everything you are after .
Is the NX8 or ATACR glass an improvement?

The range is going up a power line, so willow choked background on most plates and there 24”x24” I’ll give you the contrast aspect cause I usually paint them white or orange before starting. Was just saying a good 14x is more than enough within 1000 yards. Personal opinion is all.
It’s all good. 100% in agreement on having a legitimately good scope. Most of mine are 3-15 which works well most of the time.

SDHNTR

WKR
Zeiss V6 3-18X50. Great glass and a bit more mag. Or Swaro Z6 in same power range. Even better glass (but the Zeiss turrets are better).

pc3

WKR
Anyone have experience with the LHT 4.5-22? How does it compare to the VX5/6HD or the Conquest V4? Also, looking into Maven and Tract Toric optics.
Should have an LHT on hand next week....won’t be having a hard life though I’m thinking it’s going on a Cz 527 .17 Hornet thumb hole varmint. DLO had a pretty big review of it and it seemed to do well. It’s a Japanese made optic pretty light FFP and Milrad. No doubt some Rokslide members will put them through the ringer.

Watched a buck (didn’t have a buck tag) out to ~600 yards and with the buck against the trees the clarity wasn’t what I expected. I have a Gen 2 Razor HD 4.5-22x56 on my Tikka Tac A1 and at that distance the clarity was much better. I have read the SHV and NXS glass are the same.
Yeah your problem is definitely more to do with poor glass, I spent some time behind an SHV and there's no way I'd own one, I had an nx8 and it wasn't much better either.
I also like a min of 18x for a long range scope it helps when trying to determining how big an animal is for sure.
I'm considering a 4.5-22 LHT for a lightweight hunting rifle, another good option is the mk5 3.6-18x44 but it's 26 oz

I just got a March scope for mine. I have the NX8 on my 28 Nosler. Aside from the tight eye box as you increase magnification I really like it. Almost went with the same scope for the PRC but I wanted to try something different. Just waiting on that container to be unloaded off a ship somewhere so I can actually touch it.