Optic loadout help (leupold vs Maven... Maybe?)

Sled

WKR
Ok boys, you have been incredibly helpful to this point.
Now we have a real pickle. I need some more help thinking this through.

Are leupold bx4s enough glass to buy once cry once?

Or do I need to look a little harder at something like a Maven b1.2?

I started to think. Dangerous I know. Is there something out there better at this price?
(Full disclosure the 10s were marked used but were brand new in box and I paid 325 for them which felt like a good deal)

Anybody ever use a pair of Tract Toric?
I see they get good reviews but I have no clue where they are even from.

I also see Athlons top binocular is on sale right now on Amazon for a pretty good price. (Is this comparable or better than bx4s?) People seem to like them. Never looked through them

Is there something else I should try and compare these bx4s to before I settle?

Am I settling?

Am I going to gain anything with any of the above options?

I really want to try a pair of Mavens but I don't kow why I am scared. Leupold has been around forever. The name felt safe or something lol that and the ones i want are 1000$ or so which is the same as these leupolds and an antelope tag and some of the gas to get to WY

Plus their CS team made me feel great.

All of a sudden I'm feeling like I don't want to get trapped in a pair of good binoculars if not much more money will get me to "great". How much better are maven B1.2s over my bx4s? How much better are Tracts?

Help. I am becoming an bino whoooore....

I have tract toric 10x42 binos. I'd trade them for some SLCs. This only difference is low light performance. Swaro gets an extra 5-10 min.

OP
E
I have tract toric 10x42 binos. I'd trade them for some SLCs. This only difference is low light performance. Swaro gets an extra 5-10 min.
Have you had a chance to compare them to a pair of the higher end Mavens or a pair of Bx4s?
I can't believe I had never heard of tract before.

OP
E
Guys..... I bought Mavens. I ended up going with 8x42s in the b1.2 line.

I hope I love them.

Now I just gotta find a decent mid range spotter and I think I'm good for all the things I enjoy.

Anybody know which way to start looking there as well?

sndmn11

WKR
Guys..... I bought Mavens. I ended up going with 8x42s in the b1.2 line.

I hope I love them.

Now I just gotta find a decent mid range spotter and I think I'm good for all the things I enjoy.

Anybody know which way to start looking there as well?

Don't buy a spotter until you get those Mavens. Look through them. Then look back on all the praise I have for the 8x b1.2s. I feel the same about the above spotter.

OP
E

Don't buy a spotter until you get those Mavens. Look through them. Then look back on all the praise I have for the 8x b1.2s. I feel the same about the above spotter.
You got it man. If its still for sale I may just snag it from you and then I can be all squared away 🤘

Long story short with the bino process Ive been through the last few months....Ive used the BX4 8s and 10s for 4 years. They are still king of their space IMO, and I still have my BX4 10s. I have BX4 and SLC 10s and B1.2 8s. Of all the binos Ive tried, I was most impressed by the b1.2 8s. All the others you had to nitpick differences. But the field and view on the B1.2 stood out, you notice it as soon as you put them up to your eyes. The focus wheel on the b1.2 is as nice as it gets as well. I think youll be happy with that decision.

Ive never used SLC 8s to compare to the 10s. But I think the 8x is the sweet spot between the 8x and 10x b1.2. And the 10x is the sweet spot between the 8x and 10x BX4.

The B1.2 8s are worth the cost of upgrade over the BX-4 8s.
The BX-4 10s hold their own against the B1.2 and SLC. Not saying they are nicer, but cost-performance..absolutely.

Last edited:
OP
E
Long story short with the bino process Ive been through the last few months....Ive used the BX4 8s and 10s for 4 years. They are still king of their space IMO, and I still have my BX4 10s. I have BX4 and SLC 10s and B1.2 8s. Of all the binos Ive tried, I was most impressed by the b1.2 8s. All the others you had to nitpick differences. But the field and view on the B1.2 stood out, you notice it as soon as you put them up to your eyes. The focus wheel on the b1.2 is as nice as it gets as well. I think youll be happy with that decision.

Ive never used SLC 8s to compare to the 10s. But I think the 8x is the sweet spot between the 8x and 10x b1.2. And the 10x is the sweet spot between the 8x and 10x BX4.

The B1.2 8s are worth the cost of upgrade over the BX-4 8s.
The BX-4 10s hold their own against the B1.2 and SLC. Not saying they are nicer, but cost-performance..absolutely.
I have a little time before I would have to return my bx4s, I will look through them both once I get the Mavens and maybe my wifey will end up with Leupolds.

I can say with certainty that the 10x bx4s were way better than my old non hd diamondbacks.
Something about the 8s made my eyes hurt almost immediately looking through them. Whether it was a bad pair, they were out of whack or whatever they just didn't work well for me.

I decided to go with 8s in the b1.2 because I am primarily an archery hunter except for my yearly antelope hunt with my wife and taking her and her dad rifle deer hunting. Most of the deer I currently hunt are in thicker timber, so I wanted more fov and a little bit easier time hand holding.

I do really like the bx4s, but I want something that I will not feel like I need to upgrade in a year or two. If my wife likes the 10x Bx4s, I will keep them and she will have her own great pair for antelope. She loves this stuff as much as I do.

Last edited: