Optics 411 for a FNG

I'm a complete noob. I own a 30-06, inherited from my dad, optics on this are less than Ideal and I'm hoping to upgrade without breaking the bank.

I literally do not know a single thing about this topic. so if some members here would like to give me some basic instruction as to power and other specs and what these mean and how they're used that would be incredibly helpful to start with.

Without knowing anything at all I've arbitrarily put a budget of $500 on the scope. Where $500 would be the absolute outer limits of what I possibly could pay.

In a perfect world I'd like to spend no more than $300, and have a scope that was effective at ranges of around 300 to 500 yards. This would be a matching companion to the .308 my uncle left me which after going out to the range last month appears to be sighted in at ranges of about 300-500 yards as this was where my best grouping was done distance wise.

Any help would be wonderful - but understanding the basics on how scopes are used, what the specs mean and perhaps best practices in which situations would be tremendously wonderful - thank you in advance.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk