Optics decisions.

Looking into upgrading from my Bushnell binoculars to Vortex. I saved up about $1200 bucks and am hung up deciding. I could throw it all at the Fury 10x42 with the built in range finder. For the same price I could get the Viper 10x42, Diamondback 20-60x85 spotting scope, and a high country tripod. I mostly hunt whitetails and turkeys in Illinois and have just started venturing out West where I've saw the advantages of having a good steady scope for glassing.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Jbehredt

WKR
Do yourself a favor and look through a diamondback spotter. Really look through one. Buddy had one for a short while and we (half) joked that we could see better without it. I quite honestly wouldn’t give $50 hard earned dollars for it. No experience with the fury or vipers. $1200 puts you real close to used 10x alphas that you won’t outgrow… throw those on a tripod and you’re in tall cotton.

X-file

Lil-Rokslider
I’d check out some of the refurb deals on Sierra Trading Post for Vortex. You could get a solid combo well within your price range.

Another option is to talk to Doug at cameraland about the Athlon Ares series of spotting scopes and Cronus series binos. They could also hook you up with a solid tripod

Or as stated above an alpha pair of 10 or 12x binos might be a good way to go

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wildcat33

WKR
With that budget I’d be looking at the Nikon HG in 8x42 and have a bit left over for a promaster tripod.

tdhanses

WKR
Throw it all into bino’s, I’d also call Doug at cameralandny, seems like many have jumped on the Kowa Genesis and are amazed with them, unless your stuck on Vortex optics, there are other options that will be better.

Still invest in a tripod for the binos.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would call Doug at Cameraland and discuss, at $1200 you can get into fantastic glass.
It would be my pleasure to work with you on a great set up. There's many options for great quality binocular/spotter/tripod set ups in your price range. The store is closed today due to the snow storm as we couldn't get in, however, call me on Monday, 516-217-1000, and I'll go over different options with you and special pricing

Talk to Doug at Cameraland. My opinion of Vortex is that they have a lifetime warranty because you will need it, unlike the top tier optics companies that have a lifetime warranty because they're confident in the quality of their product.

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly man, dump it all into quality binos and a tripod. 90% of your western glassing is done with binos and a tripod. Any of the brands mentioned above are great suggestions and I’d throw the Maven B series in the mix as well.

This is coming from a guy who owns Vortex Viper HDs. If you’re stuck on Vortex I’d go UHD series. I’ve looked through plenty of vortex spotters and can tell you they are pretty lame at the higher magnifications, especially at low light.

Get the best binos you can afford, then if you truly feel like you need a spotter, save up some more till you can afford a Kowa, Meopta or Swaro spotter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk