Optics for backpack elk hunting

I have been using binos and a range finder. I would like to add a spotter also but now I am adding a lot of weight.
I am sure this has been discussed before. What is a good solution? Is there a good mid range (vortexish) spotter that is a good balance of weight etc.?

KHNC

WKR
First, if you arent rifle hunting, dont get a spotter. waste of money and extra weight. Otherwise, the Viper HD is a good one from Vortex. Not light tho.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've never needed a spotting scope for elk hunting in the 39 years I've been hunting them. Maybe for a trophy hunt in the sage brush, but otherwise I wouldn't take one. For rifle hunting all I used was 10x42's, and for archery all I use are 8x32's and my RF.

OP
M
One unit I hunt is thick woods and you do not even need binos. The other is eight to ten thousand feet, steep, rugged, fairly open country. There are times I wish I could see further and better than my 10x42's are able. Its situational.

HuntWyld

WKR
You don’t NEED to have a spotter to kill elk. But it is nice to throw a light weight compact spotter in your pack for judging a bull across a canyon trying to decide if your going to bail off the ridge to go after him. Or getting awesome digiscope footage of animals you glass up. The vortex razor hd 11-33x50mm is compact enough to live in your pack and weighs as much as the razor 10x42 binos. For me it was a no brainer. My mystery ranch day pack loaded up with with food/water for the day, kill kit, game bags, daily essentials, gps, vortex spotter and tripod still weighs in sub 25lbs

HuntWyld

WKR
That is exactly the situation I am talking about. Do you use a straight or angled?

I use an angled but it’s totally a personal preference. The tripod doesn’t need to be as extended to look through an angled. It also tends to be a more comfortable position for your head and seems to be a little easier to digiscope through angled. The main argument for straight is packability and easier to find your game when switching from binos to spotter. However my spotter lives in my pack just fine, with the razor being so compact, and I just drop the center post of my tripod a few inches when switching from binos to spotter.

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
Your scenario could be a good opportunity for a collapsible spotter. I own an Optolyth 25x70 that has wide great views, and collapses very small. Meopta and Swarovski also make a collapsible spotter at 30x power.

These telescope style spotters can be used for a quick glimpse, by setting them on a trekking pole, backpack, or leaning against a tree. Could save you some weight on a tripod.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
OR possibly consider a larger bino w/ a tripod; if there is a good opportunity to glass- I found binos to be much easier on the eyes and more effective finding game

that said, I had a Vortex Razor spotter that was pretty darn nice for the weight and size

locofife

FNG
I have a Leupold Golden Ring 12x40 x 60 HD Spotter that I quite like. It weighs less than 3 pounds and is good glass, albeit not on the same level as say Swarovski, Zeiss, or Leica. With a little looking you should be able to find a used one for less than $1000.

prm

WKR
I have the Razor 11-33x50 but was considering something like the Swaro CTC 30x75. Doug said that’s Euro only but there is a Meopta TGA 75 which is very similar. Something different to consider. I need to call Doug to discuss merits.

Last edited:

Mosby

WKR
I have an old Leupold gold ring 10-20x40 compact spotter that I take on some hunts to supplement my 10x42. Extremely small and light weight and because of that I take it frequently. They make a new version in carbon fiber. Often it is all I need. Another option.

I'm very happy with my Nikon ED50 and it weighs less than my binoculars (I think it's 22 oz.). It's nothing short of amazing what you can see for so little weight penalty. We used it last fall to tell whether some elk my buddy and I spotted with our binoculars on a mountain 2.3 miles away (measured on GE), were legal bulls. They were, and he killed one the following afternoon. He had an older but much larger and heavier Nikon spotter. We couldn't tell anything through his. But that ED50 paid for itself in one moment and my buddy will always have that 6x6 to show for it. From over 2 miles away, we could count tines on two of the bulls in fading late afternoon light.

Beendare

WKR
I've never needed a spotting scope for elk hunting in the 39 years I've been hunting them. Maybe for a trophy hunt in the sage brush, but otherwise I wouldn't take one. For rifle hunting all I used was 10x42's.....

Ditto^

( though now I realize there is a whole generation that won't know that term, I'm sure they are smart enough to figure it out)

Last edited:

FlyGuy

WKR
I too typically carry the 50mm vortex and a granite peak tripod to occasionally supplement my 8x32 EL’s. You can usually find one on here in the classifieds if you hawk it. I think I paid $500 for mine and it was like new. Lots of others like that little Kowa, but it was out of my price range.

Regardless of whether or not you add a small spotter, I would encourage you to seriously consider adding a tripod and bino adaptor to your kit. It will change your life.

Another option that you might consider is using a doubler. I can’t speak to this personally as I’ve never tried it, but my hunting partner picked one up last year and really likes it. This year, instead of carrying a second 15x bino, he plans to just run his normal 10x42 SLC’s and a Swaro doubler. Very little additional weight to give you a quick 20x monocular view to confirm details at longer range. There are going to be some obvious trade offs with light gathering and such, but something to think about.

You can’t cheat the mountain

mcseal2

WKR
I hunt elk at the end of rifle season and like having a small spotter. A lot of bulls are broke up by then and being able to see what's broke off a bull can save a lot of walking.

I have used the ED50 in the past and it would be a great budget choice. I haven't looked through the Vortex 50mm but it was considerably better than the Leupold compact spotter I also looked at. I now have the Kowa 55mm and it's great, it runs with the Swaro STM65 I sold to get it on image quality and even low light.

For a tripod I've used a Slick compact 2 tripod in the past. I use binos off a tripod less for elk than anything else so I took a short cheapie just for judging a bull with the spotter. In the future I think I'll pack the weight of my Promaster 525 and Outdoorsmans pan head. I use the Outdoorsmans shooting rest on it as a rifle platform too if I can't go prone. Shots tend to be longer and across canyon where I hunt so that could be an important advantage. It's a bit heavier but I won't be packing shooting sticks to offset some of the weight.

Wrench

WKR
A used nikon ED with a fixed eyepiece will surprise you.....and save a lot of money.