Optics for backpack elk hunting

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider
Running a Vortex Kaibab 20x56 with a tripod for my western hunting. Overkill but I love them. In the effort to save on weight for my backcountry hunts, I decided these were a good compromise between having a spotter and binos, and I got a screaming deal on them from A&A optics (refurbs). They're great for glassing anything 300 or 400 yards and out. Would not enjoy using them for close up spot and stalk hunting. I think something like 12 or 15 X binos would be a better option for all around use. Like others alluded, the spotters are great for evaluating animals but I can tell if an animal is a shooter at 1,000 yards + pretty easily - here's one at ~1,000 and what it looks like to the eye

Definitely heavy optics. I have been running a Vortex pro gt tripod which is another 4.5lbs or so but recently bought the slik sprint mini in hopes that this is a workable compromise.

Attachments

• IMG_5011.PNG
    IMG_5011.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 53

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m playing around with the idea of swapping my 10x42’s on a tripod with a smaller (and half the weight) pair of 8x30’s; would still take a tripod, but add a small (20x50 fixed Leupold) spotting scope. The weight of the small spotter and small binos are almost identical to the 10x42’s, so net zero weight gain.

I hunt a fair bit of dark, thick timber so the 8x30’s would be handier in there, but with the small spotter still be able to dissect open areas on adjacent ridges.

For a little backpack spotter that wont break the bank I would go with a kowa tsn 501. that's what I packed around for a couple years and has nearly no weight.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
that looks like a nice little spotter! :)

I have an older Leupold fixed 20x50 that will probably be thrown in if I go the 8x30/little spotter route

connerh04

FNG
I’ve been using viper 12x50s and haven’t felt the need to pull the spotter out of storage since. Could be partially due to the terrain I hunt, everyone’s scenario is different, but it has been a pretty nice set up for the past few years.

TreyPound

FNG
I have the compact Leupold which is much easier to carry than the full size I tried carrying once being that it is 20 oz. I was able to distinguish some things as not.a bear that I couldn't distinguish with an 8 power pair of binoculars bx2 also not the greatest. However, at least as often I couldn't distinguish what I was looking at through this spotter either.

I'm getting a nice pair of binoculars that are tripod mountables. If these work real well, I might ditch the spotter.

If you are an Alaskan bear hunter, keep tabs with me and we can share notes. I'm heading out for round three this spring.

I just picked up a Leupold VXSS 15-30X50 that has a carbon fiber body that weighs in at 21 ounces. That is about as light as I have found and plan on using it digiscoping while scouting.