Tract switch?

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Short version - should I upgrade my Tract to "first tier" glass?

I've got two rifles set up as follows:
  1. 30-06 with a Tract Toric (not UHD) 3-15x50; and
  2. 25-06 with a Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44.
I use both rifles almost exclusively for eastern whitetail hunting, primarily in stands with low light shots usually under 200 yards. But I do some spot and stalk, and I plan at some point to take the 30-06 to hunt elk. I'm debating whether to upgrade the Tract - to add illumination, better optics (although the scope has performed well) and/or provide a deeper eye-box. If I do upgrade to something else, I'm open to putting the new scope on either rifle.

I've had my eye on the the following:
  • Leica Amplus 6 2.5-15x56i
  • Zeiss Conquest V6 3-18x50 (and the V8 Victory 1.8-14x50 - although a good bit more expensive)
Any other suggestions? NF or another Swaro?

Last edited:
OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
NF NX8 2.5-20
Thank you. I’m looking into the reviews and comparisons. My initial reaction is it’s a great option, but I wish they had some additional reticles that were simpler illuminated cross hairs, like the Amplus, Zeiss or the Swaro Plex.

Ondavirg

Lil-Rokslider
I like my nx8 but if you are looking for a deeper eye box, this is probably not your best option.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I like my nx8 but if you are looking for a deeper eye box, this is probably not your best option.
Thanks. I also am old(er), with some $hitty vision, so any hashmarks or other stuff on the reticle will just be a distraction and not necessary for what are *usually* quick shots.

Wapiti1

WKR
Best, IMO, for what you will use it for, the Tract you have is pretty good.

If I were in your shoes, and needed a new optic, something like the Zeiss V4 3-12X56 or Meopta Meostar R1 in the same power/objective would be a consideration. You don't need high mag, even to stretch that rifle out a bit. You do seem to need a bright view for low light shots. These two should be excellent in low light and will work fine out west.

Jeremy

Tesoro

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered a leup vx5hd 2-12 from the factory. Recd it yesterday and returned it. The mag ring was very hard to turn. The same reason I sold my 9 yr old vx6 2-12 to replace it with this one.

I then picked up the phone and ordered a tract 2-10. Hopefully this wont need a lever to turn! read nothing but good about them and for the price even more. I prefer 1in tube on my hunting rifles, which are becoming harder to find with top grade glass.