Optics for the new bang stick...

TexDoc

Lil-Rokslider
I recently had a .280 AI built and didn't spare much expense. Now that it's safely home, time to put worthy glass on it. This gun will be used for Western hunting, mule deer and elk, and I typically would not shoot past 500yds (not because of the gun, but because that's about as far as I can shoot the gun accurately). I have been squirreling away my gift cards and points and have about $800 in credit before I come out of pocket so my previous budget of $2k is now about $2800-$3000. I'm considering the following brands: Swaro, Zeiss, Nightforce, Huskemaw, & Leupold because I've always had good experiences with their scopes. Some of you guys that reach out and hammer across the canyons...what say you? Recs for optic size and brand?

I don't necessarily want to put a massive objective on it since I built it as a mountain rifle and don't want a 60mm, 8lb brick of a scope on top but I do want the most bang for the buck in a reasonably sized optic that will give great light transmission and a decent field of view with as much clarity as I can get (same as every hunter in that regard).

Dcrafton

WKR
I recently had a .280 AI built and didn't spare much expense. Now that it's safely home, time to put worthy glass on it. This gun will be used for Western hunting, mule deer and elk, and I typically would not shoot past 500yds (not because of the gun, but because that's about as far as I can shoot the gun accurately). I have been squirreling away my gift cards and points and have about $800 in credit before I come out of pocket so my previous budget of $2k is now about $2800-$3000. I'm considering the following brands: Swaro, Zeiss, Nightforce, Huskemaw, & Leupold because I've always had good experiences with their scopes. Some of you guys that reach out and hammer across the canyons...what say you? Recs for optic size and brand?

I don't necessarily want to put a massive objective on it since I built it as a mountain rifle and don't want a 60mm, 8lb brick of a scope on top but I do want the most bang for the buck in a reasonably sized optic that will give great light transmission and a decent field of view with as much clarity as I can get (same as every hunter in that regard).

I have a full custom 280ai, a 25 PRC, a semi custom 25-06 and a full custom 6 mm BRA
I HAVE 3 leupold VX 5hd (3-15x44) love them so much I have 3, and on my 6 mm BRA I have a (ZCO) zero compromise 5-27x56.
I don’t care what others say about the VX5hd. They flat out work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lelder

Lil-Rokslider
I think I could drive a nail with my Nightforce nxs and it would hold zero but at 32oz it’s not on my western setups. Leupold and Swaro for best balance of weight,clarity and options IMO

OP
TexDoc

TexDoc

Lil-Rokslider
I have a full custom 280ai, a 25 PRC, a semi custom 25-06 and a full custom 6 mm BRA
I HAVE 3 leupold VX 5hd (3-15x44) love them so much I have 3, and on my 6 mm BRA I have a (ZCO) zero compromise 5-27x56.
I don’t care what others say about the VX5hd. They flat out work.

I've been looking at the Leupold MK5 HD, but I'm not sure what I would gain other than about half a pound of weight and lose the CDS option (which I probably wouldn't use anyway) vs going with the VX5. Not to mention the extra cost. Thoughts on the MK5 HD?

hooker

Lil-Rokslider
500yds. I looked high and low for a Leupold FX II 6x36 with the LR. I bid on some and missed a couple and gave up.

For 500yd shots a Nightforce or the likes is simoly not needed and a toatl waste of money unless you got money to waste.

Just spent the last two days at the Range with a Burris and Ballitic Plex retical. My only bitch the cross hairs are a bit thick. But holy chit man I hammered the phuuck outta the 300,400,500yd gongs with ease. leupold have a classic beautiful classy look. But holy c hit man this Burris is bright and clear and finger clicks blow the VX-II away. Haha spent $170 bucks and am money to 500yd. No way in hell I'm spending a bunch of money on a scope to get me to 500yds.. Couple friends got $800 to $1000 dollar Burris scopes on 300 wm's and 6.5 CM's. They love them.

Used VX II with M1 dial on a couple rifles I own shoot fantastic. But holy chit man this Burris is better.

To each his own but 500yds with a rest isn't hard and does not require a $1500 dollar scope.

Dcrafton

WKR
I've been looking at the Leupold MK5 HD, but I'm not sure what I would gain other than about half a pound of weight and lose the CDS option (which I probably wouldn't use anyway) vs going with the VX5. Not to mention the extra cost. Thoughts on the MK5 HD?

The glass being the same, the big difference you will notice is FFP and SFP.
VX5hd has second focal plan but for hunting that is all you need. For what you are looking for, go with the VX5HD, but if you want to use it more for competition then the MK5 is an awesome glass for the price.
My favorite by far is still my ZCO scope.

83cj-7

WKR
I’ve been behind almost every scope out there. For lightweight, clear glass that works in almost every situation, I give another vote for the VX5HD in 3-15x44. I have one on my .280 Rem with a CDS dial for my load and it absolutely works perfect. Just last weekend my buddy and I were shooting together and comparing glass. He and I both agreed that the VX5 had as clear glass as the NF ATAC that he had on his rifle and the VX5 was much brighter and sharper than his NXS with a 56mm objective. I also feel that the eyebox of Leupold is head and shoulders about nearly all manufacturers. Everyone’s opinions vary, just my $.02.

jstraus34

FNG
500yds. I looked high and low for a Leupold FX II 6x36 with the LR. I bid on some and missed a couple and gave up.

For 500yd shots a Nightforce or the likes is simoly not needed and a toatl waste of money unless you got money to waste.

Just spent the last two days at the Range with a Burris and Ballitic Plex retical. My only bitch the cross hairs are a bit thick. But holy chit man I hammered the phuuck outta the 300,400,500yd gongs with ease. leupold have a classic beautiful classy look. But holy c hit man this Burris is bright and clear and finger clicks blow the VX-II away. Haha spent $170 bucks and am money to 500yd. No way in hell I'm spending a bunch of money on a scope to get me to 500yds.. Couple friends got $800 to $1000 dollar Burris scopes on 300 wm's and 6.5 CM's. They love them.

Used VX II with M1 dial on a couple rifles I own shoot fantastic. But holy chit man this Burris is better.

To each his own but 500yds with a rest isn't hard and does not require a $1500 dollar scope.
I think Burris is one of the best kept secrets, especially considering the price point. I think we have been conditioned that we need to spend a ton on our glass but not sure that holds true when I look through my scope and compare it to others that I have that were 4 or 5x the price. The only question in my mind is are they going to be as durable as some of these high end brands and not fail when that bull or buck steps out. I haven't put it through the ringer like some of the folks on the forum so I can't say.

OP
TexDoc

TexDoc

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate all the input guys, the VX5 HD is sounding like a pretty attractive option and leaves some money in my wallet. Not to split hairs but any of you used the VX6 HD? I think the only real differences there are the magnification and weight...and I might have read something about an internal level...oh and of course price.

Have you seen the new Vortex LHT 4.5-22 FFP scope? Only throwing it in the ring Incase you missed it. Check with liberty optics if you're interested. That's who I got mine from.

SDHNTR

WKR
What you gain is reliability. The MK5 Is built like a tank and will dial in return to zero with far greater consistency than the VX five. The turret erector system is far more robust.

I appreciate all the input guys, the VX5 HD is sounding like a pretty attractive option and leaves some money in my wallet. Not to split hairs but any of you used the VX6 HD? I think the only real differences there are the magnification and weight...and I might have read something about an internal level...oh and of course price.
I have both. Glass is the same. You get more features with the “6” such as aluminum flip up covers, internal level, and a zoom thrown ring. Only you can determine if it is worth the additional cost.

While I am happy with my VX6HD and VX5HDs, I’m not happy about the battery covers working loose on both and falling off during the hunt. Happened twice so far. The replacements have been free.

I’d recommend taking a look at the Vortex Razor LHT. Has a solid reputation; I have several of its predecessor (LH) and they’ve been bulletproof. This is on my shortlist.

83cj-7

WKR
I’ve owned two of the VX6 models. I still have a VX6 1-6 on my AR. It’s also a great optic but the glass is basically the same as a VX5 what you gain is the zero lock windage knob and usually illumination. I do not have a need for the windage as I usually have a reticle that has holds for MOA. I may consider a MK5 If they didn’t have first focal plane. I cannot stand a first focal plane because it practically disappears when you turn down the notification. My buddy had one but sold it for the same reason.

OP
TexDoc

TexDoc

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a little different in that regard, I don't mind shooing 2nd focal plane but actually prefer FFP but I might be the exception in that dept. I really appreciate all of the helpful feedback and opinions you guys are providing!

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
The mark 5 does not even compare to anything in the vx line. As someone stated above, more robust and reliable. VX 5 and VX 6 dials feel and react like junk compared to the mark 5. If it’s in your budget, I’d go mark 5 over vx 5 or 6 any day.
Nightforce nx8 line is another relatively lightweight (for what you’re getting) option.
I own a mark 5 and an nx8. I’d be hard pressed to choose a favorite between the two.

JakeSCH

WKR
So many good options. I would narrow down your must haves and then narrow down your list. Magnification, parallax correction, illumination, weight, reticle, reliability, warranty, etc....

snipe10

FNG
I don't post much but have been following this site for almost 10 years and hunting for 40. I use Swaro Z8's on all my hunting rifles, and Nightforce on all tactical. If you don't want to spend the money for the Z8, go for the Z6. Amazing glass that is good in all light.