Optics for tikka t3x

rtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a VX5 on one of my T3s and a Leupold VX6 on the other. The glass is great, the tracking has been spot on and they are fairly light. I've been very happy with them.

Tahoe1305

WKR
why are people recommending turrets when his max range is 300yds..... a plain jane 2-7 or 3-9 variable would be my suggestion... save your money for something else

I think mostly based on his second reply that he’d like to practice at longer ranges. Otherwise the smaller mag covered turrets would be perfect and save weight and money.

gmeek

FNG
I put a Meopta Meopro 4.5-14x44 with the BDC reticle on my Tikka T3 300WM and I love it.

For comparisons I have Zeiss Conquests and Leupold VX6s on my other rifles.

OP
Flatland Newbie

Flatland Newbie

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for all the ideas and options. All this got me thinking, I'm not that good of a shot to invest in $1500 optics, looks like there are a lot more budget friendly options and more lightweight as well. What is your take on https://www.amazon.com/Leupold-111236-VXR-3-9x40mm-Scope/dp/B004IGIFTA
or even https://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/us/produkt/meopro-4-5-14x44-1072/ looks like a member of this forum is offering a deal.
Maybe I should keep it simple for the first gun and once I know what I want and grow out of the current setup I can invest in a better optic heavier caliber. I's not like I want to sped the money now, period. I can always spend my $$ on tags, ammo.

OutdoorAg

WKR

Falcon1

FNG
I am in the market for the same. Going out west for the first time in October and about to pickup a T3x 300 Win Mag. Great options in here glad I saw this.

Motown

WKR
I might get grilled by some folks on this but IMO steer clear of Leupold. I was a Leupold fanboy years ago and after multiple scopes with tracking issues and also issues with holding zero I have started to moved on. I know that I am not alone and a simple search of this will show you what I am talking about. I know that they have a great warranty but you don't want it to come down to that.

The Meopta you mentioned earlier in the 3.5-10 is a great option. Another one that I will mention is the 2-10 Tract Toric. I have the 3-15 model that has been perfect so far and the ED glass is extremely clear and the low light capability has been outstanding! The T-plex reticle is also hard to beat.

OP, I am in VA as well with the same setup as you, Tikka T3X in 270. I mounted a Nikon Monarch 5 2-12x44 on mine and it does everything I need it do from the woods of Suffolk to the open fields of Doswell. You can find good deals on all the line of scopes mentioned, but I would not over think it.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Buy a leupold and if want to change reticle or customize later you have the option through the custom shop you can get a great scope for $300-400 and will never have to mess with it.

The more I look online the more complicated it gets. I like the idea of https://www.leupold.com/scopes/compact-scopes/vx-6-2-12x42mm

I was in your neck of the woods until recently. I did a lot of hunting in the mountains near highland county, and also made some trips out west for mule deer while I was there. I think when you said “practice at longer range” that means something different to everybody so you are getting some serious long range (500 yards plus) recommendations.

You really only need/want a simple, variable power 3-9 or so. One of the cheaper Leupolds would be perfect. You don’t want turrets sticking out and possibly moving while you’re in the whitetail Woods...and you sure as heck won’t use them shooting at deer or bears in Va. You mentioned elk...no need for turrets there either! Especially with a .270 you’re not going to shoot at one from a half mile away. I think you will be best served with a simple, reliable, light weight option.

Spend $200 and use the rest for other critical western gear!!

OP
Flatland Newbie

Flatland Newbie

Lil-Rokslider
I was in your neck of the woods until recently. I did a lot of hunting in the mountains near highland county, and also made some trips out west for mule deer while I was there. I think when you said “practice at longer range” that means something different to everybody so you are getting some serious long range (500 yards plus) recommendations.

You really only need/want a simple, variable power 3-9 or so. One of the cheaper Leupolds would be perfect. You don’t want turrets sticking out and possibly moving while you’re in the whitetail Woods...and you sure as heck won’t use them shooting at deer or bears in Va. You mentioned elk...no need for turrets there either! Especially with a .270 you’re not going to shoot at one from a half mile away. I think you will be best served with a simple, reliable, light weight option.

Spend $200 and use the rest for other critical western gear!!
Ha, that's where I hunt public land, highland county. If only there was cell service there :) had to get inreach.

Ha, that's where I hunt public land, highland county. If only there was cell service there :) had to get inreach.

There’s some big mountain deer in highland county!

If I was you, I’d get a small Leupold. Maybe 36mm objective or even smaller with Talley rings. No need for anything bigger or fancier.

bmanb940

Lil-Rokslider
I will also throw in a vote for a Meopta Optic. I have a MeoPro 6-18 on my Rem. 700 .308 and an Optika6 3-18x50 (my favorite) on my custom .300 Win. Excellent low light visibility and tough as nails. You can also use Strelok Pro to dial in the drops for whatever reticle you choose. Meopta has the Optika5 with a 1-inch tube coming out in July and built around the needs of hunters. Meopta's desire to build quality scopes with features that hunters and shooters use is the main reason I have been doing some freelance work with them.

I would second the vote on the Vortex Razor HD LH 3x15. I put one on my Tikka 3x Lite in 7mm Rem Mag. It's held up well.