Optics opinions - Start from scratch

ewescue

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, wanted to get some opinions here. This is going to be a pretty broad question, with lots of answers if I had to guess.
I'm looking to acquire "necessary" optics for a range of hunts, and would like to hear what some of you guys would do. I've already done quite a bit of research on this, so before I get a "use the search function", I have.

My current situation is living in the east, where optics really aren't valued at all. Right now I have a pair of Vortex Viper 10x42's, and to put that into perspective everyone I know here thinks I am NUTS for owning $500 binos. That being said, I'm looking to upgrade/acquire optics for hunts I plan on going on in the near future. These would include spring black bear, high country mule deer, desert mule deer, kodiak blacktail, pronghorn hunts, and various elk hunts that most likely wont be glassing heavy. Those are just some of the hunts I'm looking to do in the next few years.

I will definitely need a good tripod, as the one I have now is pretty much trash. Just use it for local whitetail glassing with a cheap compact spotter.
For optic, options would be get a spotter, or get binos that are a upgrade to the vipers. Kind of torn here.
Use would be heavy on the backpacking side so weight is a factor being considered. Budget for tripod/optic together say roughly 2k. That isn't exactly a hard number, but for the sake of this I'd like to keep it somewhat around there give or take. So, what are your opinions on tripod/head/bino/spotter combos?

My hope is some of the recommendations I get will not only help me sort through some ideas I already have in my mind, but hopefully may also help others in a similar situation to me, who are looking to get into the western optics game.

I ran the same vipers with the vortex pro gt for about 5 years. Added a leupold GR 12-40x and this was a great combo until I got lasik and looked through swaro glass and realized would alpha can do. You can do some damage with the vipers on a good tripod (look for a sirui carbon fiber 1204, they are used on here for sub $250), but upgrading to $1500+ binos is what I would recommend. SLC 8 or 10x42s would be my recommendation, you'll spot the shit out of game.

nobody

WKR
I would spend some money on a decent spotting scope for now. Those Viper binoculars, though they're kindof the low-mid range of optics, will serve you well for a long time. But they're good enough to use for awhile. There's lots of guys out west who use the Vipers exclusively for a long time and kill lots of animals. Working for a Sportsman's Warehouse, we sell more Viper 10x42's than anything else, and this is coming from a guy who doesn't usually recommend Vortex unless you can step up to the Razor line! So people do believe in and use them with success.

A spotting scope is something you don't have yet that you'll want. Buy a mid-range one and run it for several years, and save your pennies and buy alpha glass down the road after you've spent lots of time glassing and get a feel for what you like and want. You need to train your eyes to glass effectively, then you can upgrade the glass. While I'll never say that Swarovski sucks, you may discover that there's certain aspects that you do or don't want in YOUR long term alpha glass. Personally, I get sick when I glass through the field flattening lenses on the Swarovski EL's and NL Pures, but the SLC's are the perfect bino for hunting as far as I'm concerned (darn them for discontinuing them!). The only way to learn that is through studying and practice glassing, and using what you have and a decent spotter will train your eyes to see that kind of stuff and discern it.

Also, keep in mind that our Grandpa's killed lots of animals with "sub-par" equipment relative to what we have now. My Dad's dad still uses an old pair of military surplus binos that he has had since the 80's, and that dude is a killer. Expensive, high end glass doesn't make you a better hunter. But if you can afford it, it will make hunting more enjoyable.

If you're looking for product recommendations, I would say the best buy on a good spotter now is the Maven CS.1. Their spotting scope bundle with a good tripod is $750 on their website, I would look at that if I was you!

Last edited:

gcronin

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey guys, wanted to get some opinions here. This is going to be a pretty broad question, with lots of answers if I had to guess.
I'm looking to acquire "necessary" optics for a range of hunts, and would like to hear what some of you guys would do. I've already done quite a bit of research on this, so before I get a "use the search function", I have.

My current situation is living in the east, where optics really aren't valued at all. Right now I have a pair of Vortex Viper 10x42's, and to put that into perspective everyone I know here thinks I am NUTS for owning $500 binos. That being said, I'm looking to upgrade/acquire optics for hunts I plan on going on in the near future. These would include spring black bear, high country mule deer, desert mule deer, kodiak blacktail, pronghorn hunts, and various elk hunts that most likely wont be glassing heavy. Those are just some of the hunts I'm looking to do in the next few years.

I will definitely need a good tripod, as the one I have now is pretty much trash. Just use it for local whitetail glassing with a cheap compact spotter.
For optic, options would be get a spotter, or get binos that are a upgrade to the vipers. Kind of torn here.
Use would be heavy on the backpacking side so weight is a factor being considered. Budget for tripod/optic together say roughly 2k. That isn't exactly a hard number, but for the sake of this I'd like to keep it somewhat around there give or take. So, what are your opinions on tripod/head/bino/spotter combos?

My hope is some of the recommendations I get will not only help me sort through some ideas I already have in my mind, but hopefully may also help others in a similar situation to me, who are looking to get into the western optics game.
Those are some great questions! Since you already have a set of binoculars, I would recommend investing in a spotter/tripod next. If you don't already have a rangefinder, that may be a good one to consider as well.

If weight is a concern I would check out the Razor HD 11-33x50. These weigh in right at 25 oz, and will give all the magnification needed for most hunting situations. With a price tag of $699.99 these little spotters are tough to beat! https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-razor-hd-11-33x50-spotting-scope-angled.html

Stayin on the lightweight theme, there would be two recommendations in our lineup that I would look at for a tripod. This year we released our new carbon line of tripods and the Summit Carbon II ($399.99) and the Ridgeview Carbon ($499.99) would be the ones I would check out. The Summit is going to be the lightest weight and is designed for glassing while sitting. The Ridgeview will be slightly heavier, but much taller and more comfortable to use while standing.

If you have any questions on anything in our lineup, just let me know!

Thanks for being a part of Vortex Nation!

Buy once, cry once. Get yourself a good pair of Conquest HD or better quality bins, and don't look back. The Viper HD's are fine for back east, but they won't cut it for all day glassing sessions. Your eyes will hate you after the first hour or two. No need to spend a ton either. I just saw a pair of Conquest HD's for sale here for just $550. That's a lifetime investment.

There are a few others I'd recommend in that class, but nothing beneath it for what you're wanting to do.

Don't worry about a spotter unless you're trying to score a critter on the hoof. A premium pair of bins on a stable tripod is all you need to determine whether an animal is legal within a half-day's hike from where you spot it.

Rodéo

WKR
^ What newtosavage said. No need for a spotter for what you described. The step up from Vipers to Conquest/Toric/Maven/Meopta level glass and a good tripod and head, typically slik or sirui, will get you set up right and make for more pleasurable glassing sessions. If you get all of those at sale prices or for a good deal, you could have enough left over from 2k budget to get yourself a serviceable spotter if you figure you need one. Used Razor, new Athlon, used leupold, etc.

Premium bino's and tripod should be your priority imo.

OP
ewescue

ewescue

Lil-Rokslider
Liking the suggestions guys. Keep them coming. Maybe some exact models you would recommend and why, I know a handful of guys that are in a very similar position as me and would like to show them this thread.

Also, I have a decent rangefinder so that is not being considered for this.

If I'm planning to glass for hours, I don't want anything less than Conquest HD's, or Meopta Meostar HD's, or Nikon HG's or (maybe) Vortex Razors, in that order. Maven makes some good stuff but I'm not familiar with anything but the C3's and I wouldn't put those in the same class.

Plan on spending at least $650 on the used market for one of those first four I mentioned. If you get the Vortex Razors, look for made in Japan (older) vs. Made in China (newer).

There is kind of a hole in the used market between 700-ish and 1K. At 1K you jump up to the used older SLC's which are still damn good, and at aroung $1200 you "might" be able to get a pair of used newer SLC's, but since they have discontinued those, the prices on the used market are going up.

Personally, I'm happy as a clam with my Conquest HD's. I've owned every flavor of them now (10x42, 8x42, 10x32 and 8x32) and I've settled on the 8x32's as my all-rounders. If I added a pair of bins now, it would be a pair of 12x Conquests for truck bins, but as I said, I've seen enough critters miles away with my 8x32's on a good tripod that I don't feel I'm lacking at all with them, and I sure like their size and weight.

Well I live out west and do the types of hunts you’re talking about every year. I live and die by my optics. I could survive with a lesser pair, but the enjoyment is lessened for sure and I used to get a bit sleepy too from the eye strain. It’s common to spend hours a day behind your glass, so truly spend all you can afford on the best glass you can.

I use Swaro 10x50 EL’s for my bino, and I’ll never look back. I do have to admit the Razor HD’s are pretty dang nice for the money too and you’d save a bit from the EL’s. The major difference I see is the Swaro seems to have a little brighter blues and greens which seems to make the image pop a bit more. But I still think the Razor is a ton of bang for the dollar.

When you’re spending sometimes 6-8 hours a day behind your binos, the top tier glass does make a difference and it makes it easier to stay behind them all day. Glassing is what western hunting is all about in my opinion.

I use my spotter quite a bit too. I think there are more quality spotting scopes out there than binos for sure, but you’re gonna be pushing $2k to get there. I’d rather have alpha binos and suffer a bit with a spotter than vice-vs. I never spend hours behind my spotter (although I have friends that are opposite me a do exactly that) so I’d rather have the perfect binos. Eventually though, if you’re gonna do all those hunts you’re going to need the alphas in both binos and a spotter.

Good luck with your decision! Hope you get a lot of those trips you listed in. Out west is an amazing place.

If you have the money to drop, buy once cry once makes sense, but if your on any type of budget, the cost of alpha glass could be better spent in my opinion.

First, not everyone likes to glass all day. For me, I'm not patient enough, like to be on the move and cover ground, and kill antelope, bucks and bulls every year, doing so with sub $500 binos.

Second, other factors that are much more influential on success include a dialed sleep system, water system, boots that don't give you blisters, etc..

Unless you have 2k burning a hole in your pocket and all other categories covered, I would vote run your vipers