Optics options

Badseed

WKR
If you already had tier 1 10x42 bino and a low/mid range rifle scope which piece of glass would you spend your money on next?

A spotting scope
A high power binocular
A tier 1 rifle scope

Assuming most all hunts are california muleys with the intention to venture out in bigger country like idaho, montana and arizona for elk and deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tier 1 rifle scope. The tier 1 10x42 bino you already have will do everything the spotting scope can/will….almost (Doesn’t sound like you are counting rings /aging sheep etc.).

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
10x42 work really well. Higher power binos are the last I would buy.

Spotter is not super necessary unless you are looking for the biggest bucks or digiscoping.

I’d get a tier 1 riflescope first.

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
Those were kind of my thoughts but maven has a seemingly good package deal for a tripod and C4 binos that are tempting. I have been using a vortex viper hslr 4-24x50 but it seems like everyone talks about higher end scopes like nightforce shv, nxs, vortex razor etc. without having an easy way to compare them side by side I am trying to decide if there is a big enough difference to pull the trigger and buy a new scope.

Ucsdryder

WKR
You could put your binos on a tripod.

I think it depends on how you hunt. If you’re a glassing guy, you can’t beat a good spotter. If you’re a 12-15 mile a day guy, then a spotter is an unwanted burden.

What binos do you own, what spotter and scope are you considering?

Tier 1 bino....check.

For the me the riflescope is not for glassing. If the scope holds zero and returns to zero after elevation and windage adjustment I'm good with that. Now, if you want more magnification etc that's a different story. Crosshair is a crosshair in my opinion whether it's swaro, NF, etc. Great glass on riflescope doesn't get me excited. I hunt and do reloading work only. No long range competition for me which likely explains my view. I only need my crosshair and scope to hold zero and adjust correctly.

As far as a bino with more magnification on a tripod or a spotter it really depends on the type of hunting and terrain.

Great glass on nocs and a spotter to help me find game...that's where I'll put my money. FWIW

OP
Badseed

Badseed

WKR
I have leica geovids 10x42s. I actually have an athlon aeres spotter and it works fine but its extra weight and you can really only use it from a tripod. I was assuming that perhaps a 15x bino could be used offhand for quick distance glassing and could be ran off a tripod for longer glassing sessions. I have never used anything more than 12x binos so my experience with larger binos is almost none.

I am considering the Maven package with c4 binos 15x56 mainly because the package price caught my attention and I thought that I may be able to use the big binos more than my spotter. The whole two eyes is better than one concept comes into play also. Squinting one eye for long periods gets old.

I just picked up 12x42 NL pure for the same reason. FOV of a 10x with a little extra mag vs significantly less FOV for 3x extra mag on most 15s. Hand holding is overrated on these 12s. Very little difference between my 10s and the 12s. I think a great combo is 8x in bino harness and and a 12 or 15 for the tripod. Saves a lot of weight and skip the spotter. I have 20-60x80 spotter which when needed is really nice to have on hand but I honestly use it way less than I thought. However, now my son is older he carries the spotter for me and I bring the nocs. So I am using it more. I do most of the glassing. LOL

I am with the folks who posted before me, get a quality scope with all the features you want. Your current binos on a tripod or monopod will do everything you need to do for glassing.