Optics question

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
So Im a father of 4, that being said I obviously work on a budget and $800+ for a spotting scope is not really that feasible right now. that being said im looking at the Vortex line of spotters. I already have some Vortex Bino's that I really like but I need to be able to see much further. Im thinking about spending $500 or so, which Spotter would be my best option?

Thanks in advance, Im sure im asking a super repetitive question.

So Im a father of 4, that being said I obviously work on a budget and $800+ for a spotting scope is not really that feasible right now. that being said im looking at the Vortex line of spotters. I already have some Vortex Bino's that I really like but I need to be able to see much further. Im thinking about spending $500 or so, which Spotter would be my best option?

Thanks in advance, Im sure im asking a super repetitive question.

There is/was a Nikon field scope in the Classified section that is a great deal on a great spotter. I think for $400.

OP
L

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, I just read that there is a Kowa thats Sub $500 and supposed to do well, might research that option

generalist

Lil-Rokslider
If you're looking at Vortex, you can probably pick up a Viper 65mm used for $500. Depending on how much magnification you need, $500 will also get you into the Razor 50mm. I've had both and the little Razor is awesome if you don't need a lot of power.

AGPank

WKR
Look into the Athlon. They have a compact 65mm that is well reviewed. CameralandNY is a good source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For around $500 i would get the Alpen 20-60x80 786 or 788, depending on whether you want straight or angled eyepiece. I have a straight eyepiece and love it. I also have a Meostar HD S2, Vortex Razor HD, Bushnell Eite, and a few cheaper ones. The S2 is obviously hands down better than the rest but the Alpen is really good and i still use it when i travel and dont want to take a $2000 spotter to another country and risk being robbed or the scope being damaged. The Alpen is as good as anything i have seen under $1500. i much prefer it to the Razor.

OP
L

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
I kinda need good power. my problem is that Im spending a lot of time stalking in on animals that turn out to be sub legal. Here in Alaska the terrain can be challenging and time/effort is spent getting close enough to see if its legal. Id like to be able to determine from a further distance if its worth the effort!.

No disrespect intended, but you may be doomed to wasted stalking if you don't get high quality optics. Doug will do his best to get you high quality and save money.If you want something small and light for backpacking, the Kowa 553, 554 is about the best compromise and you can use a light weight tripod with it (I saved money there with a $15 Amazon tripod, not ideal, but I'd rather put the money into optics). I had never spent so much on a spotter before, but it is worth it--optically it seems about as good as my 85 mm vortex razor but the weight of the Kowa plus tripod is about 5 lb. less than the Vortex with the stronger tripod it needs.

Last edited: