Optics setup for Kodiak

Want to get input on which optics setup to take for a mountain goat hunt on Kodiak. I am considering the setup below:

* Binoculars: Swaro SLC 10s (with tripod adapter)
* Spotter: Swaro STX 65
* Tripod/Head: Slik CF-635 with Jim White 2.0 head

This is almost the same setup that I took on my Dall sheep/grizzly hunt. The only difference was on that hunt I took my SLC 15s and not my 10s.

as.ks.ak

WKR
Don’t overthink it. 10s will be good. And I’d make sure you have a digiscoping setup with you for the spotter. Be plenty of opportunities to take pics of critters. Fun to relive the hunt later on that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akAbe

FNG
For goats I wouldn't even bring the spotter and tripod! You'll use the glass more to figure out if you can get to them then to actually look at them, until you get a group in position and have to pick an animal, and at that point the binos will be plenty.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Yep. I’ve hunted Kodiak 1/2 dozen times. Up in the goat country or down in the deer country there is not much difference. Never wanted for my 15s. What you have is perfect.

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
My last goat hunt I took 12s and a spotter. Never put the binos on the tripod and wished I had something I could freehand better.

Finding goats is pretty easy, you can do it with 8s. Then switch to the scope and figure out what your looking at.

Your set up sounds great.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’d rather have 8s than 10s but that’s just personal preference. I’d use what you have and go kill a goat.

I’m not sure of the timeline of your hunt/recent purchase, but the Kowa 55 you have is perfect for goats on Kodiak.
c3f166462fc63c75e7fae1039e544bbd.jpg

de63a497af0ebd6fd2eacd5aa893b46b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
If you are going guided I would not take the spotter and save yourself the weight as the guide would/should certainly have one and there isn't any need for more than one.