Which system?

• 8x42 SLC + Kowa 602 Spotter

Votes: 21 91.3%
  • 8x42 BX-4 + 15x56 BX-5 + Kowa 602 Spotter

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

ChrisAU

WKR
On a whim I upgraded from Vortex Diamondback HD binos to Swarovski SLC's this past year. Both 8x42. The SLC's are awesome, obviously. I've also really, really liked Leupold BX-4s in the past but I haven't had a pair of the 8x42's. I'm trying to be a bit $ conscious, and I think I know the answer to this but I'd like some other's thoughts.

I love 8x42's for the majority of my hunting, which is whitetail hunting in the Southeast. I do go west one week a year, and love glassing on a tripod, but I've always taken 10x42's to Colorado for elk.

This year we'll be going to Wyoming for antelope, and here I am with just 8x42 SLC's, a backup pair of 10x42 Vortex Diamondbacks (obviously not a 1st team candidate, I keep them for backups only), and a Kowa 602 20-60x60 spotter.

I want to try some big eye binos, but the budget is just tapped for now. I could sell the SLC's and get BX-4 8x42's for the chest and BX-5 15x56's for the tripod, and have my spotter in the pack too and be money ahead likely.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a similar experience this January with a Barbary sheep tag in New Mexico. I ended up renting a pair of 15x56 from guns and gear for around 200$

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

antelope are really easy to find, really hard to judge. I'd keep the swarovskis. If this is a hunt where you're wanting to know the difference between a 74" goat and a 80" goat i'd rent a high end, large objective spotting scope.

JGRaider

WKR
Antelope are usually found in wide open or at least semi open country. I don't think you'd need a 15x bino for this type of hunt, IMO. You should be golden with those 8x42 SLC's (they're awesome), and that spotter.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Thanks guys, typing it out made it seem even more of a bad idea and glad to see the affirmation ha. Will stay with the 8x42 SLC's and spotter.

fatrascal

WKR
You've already got a good thing going. Like the previous poster said, you can rent a pair of 15x56's if you really need to see what they are about. But what you have is a quality set up. Fatrascsl.