Optics Upgrade Question

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
Working towards upgrading my optics and need some advice on strategy moving forward. Currently use Maven C1 10x42 for most everything I do (archery elk, glassing deer, etc.) both free-hand and off tripod. Will mostly be using any upgraded/added optics for later (rifle) season mule deer and elk hunts. Should probably add as well that I don't consider myself an inch counter, but more of a "shooter or not" type guy.

Strategy 1) Upgrade to higher quality 10x42 (Tract UHD, BX5, or B1) and add Athlon Ares Spotter.
Strategy 2) Keep C1s, add a pair of 15x binos (Tract UHD, BX5, or B5) and add spotter somewhere down the road.
Strategy 3) Possibly TBD depending on feedback.

The glassing I have done out west has almost exclusively been through binos vs. a spotter and I definitely appreciate the increased FOV as well as less eye fatigue so I'm leading going with strategy #2, but would like some additional opinions.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it is our pleasure to assist in discussing different options and opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have a few moments

kota

FNG
So many options!

I think 15s are great off a tripod, and I found a lot more game with them after upgrading from 10s. That said, I always carried a spotter to be able to judge what I was looking at or to look beyond about 2000 yards. That meant 3 pieces of glass between 10s, 15s and a spotter.

I also think the value of looking through 2 eyes instead of 1 is huge, and compensates for a lot of magnification.

With both of those points in mind I would look at 15s and an optical doubler for when you need more magnification.

Another option would be a upgraded set of 8s or 10s, and then rent a BTX for any hunts that you will be doing lots of glassing.

It’s all a compromise. You’re going to give up something to get something.

Folks have safes full of guns but poop their pants when it comes to having more than one pair of binoculars. It is far easier to get by with a single rifle for all hunting than a single pair of binoculars for all hunting. But hell, I’m not as “enlightened” as others.

Add a high quality 15x pair of binoculars to your optics arsenal. Take whatever pair (10x or 15x) with you that makes the most sense for any given hunt. Before some folks get their panties in a knot, you can use your range finder for a quick look at closer distances if you happen to have brought your 15x.

Then at some future date, grab a spotter or two to round out to your optics arsenal.

I went to 15’s and will never look back. I don’t even own 10’s or 12’s. They are a little rough freehand, but I manage and will use trekking poles or a tripod for long glassing sessions. I also have a 22-48x65 spotter, but hardly use it any more.

OP
W

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
I should've added too, I've got a bead on a pair of Zulu 9 15x56s for $750-ish. Based on the "limited" reviews it seems like they compare very closely to the Maven B series.

OP
W

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
What really need a spotter for elk tho?
This is one of the main situations where I don't see myself taking a spotter with.

At this point I'm leaning towards A) Keep my C1 10x42s (for now) and snag a pair of Zulu9 15x56s OR B) Sell the C1s, and go with a BX4 or BX5 in 12x50 and buy the Ares G2 15-45 spotter.

HuntNTag

WKR
The Zulu’s at that price are a steal so that’s a no brainer. I’d pick that up and keep yours C1s for now. After a season, see how that works. If you then still want a spotter, the ares is a great one to pick up.

OP
W

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
Going with the 15x Sigs, but don't have them in hand yet. Also need to give the guys at Cameraland a call to order a tripod/pan head.