Optics warranties....they vary

Beendare

WKR
HERES THE QUESTION; Does the warranty matter to you?

Longtime optics owner here like many of you; Swaro, Zeiss, Leica and recently Nikon EDG. Seems to me when I bought my SLC's decades ago they were warrantied for life. Now I see Swaro recently changed their warranty (from their website);

SWARO
in procuring this optical product from SWarovSki oPtik you now own a top-quality instrument for which we grant a worldwide warranty of 10 years from the date of purchase in accordance with the following conditions:
if defects in material and/or workmanship appear, we will take over material costs for the entire warranty period. We reserve the right in such instances to repair or replace the instrument or the defective part at our discretion. During the first five years we will take over the costs for materials and work.

5 years, 10yrs conditional
_________

Companies that I'm pretty sure have lifetime warranties; Vortex, Nikon, Zeiss, Meopta...there could be more. I'm not sure what Leicas was but they fixed my fogged Geovids right out of the gate but only warrantied the RF for 5 years.

Heres ZEISS warranty on their site....

Limited Lifetime Transferable Warranty
for USA and Canada

(“Limited Warranty”)

Your ZEISS Sports Optics Optical System is warranted against defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the Product, subject to limitations below. The Optical System means (a) all the components between and inclusive of the optic’s objective and ocular lens, and (b) any functional and mechanical operating system associated with the optical performance of the Optical System.

Limited Warranty Conditions for Electronic Components:

Electronic components are warranted against defects in workmanship and materials for 5 years from the original date of manufacture or purchase.

Limited Warranty Conditions for Non-Optical System Components and Accessories:

"Non-optical system components and accessories, such as carrying straps, lens caps, rubber armoring, turret caps and other similar parts are warranted against defects in workmanship and materials for 1 year from the date of manufacture or purchase.
If a defect that is covered by this Warranty is found, ZEISS will, at its option, either repair or replace the Product with a new or reconditioned ZEISS product of comparable specifications."
In the event of malfunction or failure of your Meopta sports optic product, simply contact us at 800-828-8928 for a Return Authorization Number and return instructions. Please be advised that products returned to Meopta U.S.A., Inc. without a proper Return Authorization Number will not be accepted. Upon receipt of your properly returned product and confirmation that the malfunction or failure is a result of a defect covered by this warranty, Meopta shall, within 90 days of receipt and at its option, repair or replace the defective product. Any and all Meopta sports optics products sold outside the USA are not covered in any way under this warranty
This warranty shall cover only defects arising under normal use. Meopta U.S.A., Inc. assumes no responsibility whatsoever for malfunctions, failures or defects resulting from misuse, abuse, neglect, alteration, modification, acts of God or repairs by any entity other than a Meopta Authorized Service Center. No other warranties, representations or promises as to the quality or performance of this product other than those contained herein are made..
Provides for repair or replacement for any problem that prevents the proper optical or mechanical function of the covered equipment. Cosmetic or other signs of normal wear and tear of external surfaces, including lenses, are not considered as affecting optical or mechanical function of the Equipment.
Additional Limited Lifetime Warranty:
Applied at the conclusion of the Passport Warranty period. It provides for the repair or replacement of the warranted item against defects in materials or workmanship, under normal use, for the lifetime of the original purchaser.

Please contact us if you require additional details.

VORTEX

OUR VIP WARRANTY IS ABOUT YOU, NOT US.
VIP stands for a Very Important Promise to you, our customer. We will repair or replace your Vortex® product in the event it becomes damaged or defective—at no charge to you. If we cannot repair your product, we will replace it with a product in perfect working order of equal or better physical condition.

You see, it doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was or where you purchased it. If you ever have a problem, no matter the cause, we promise to take care of you. You can count on the VIP Warranty for all Vortex Optics riflescopes, prism scopes, red dots, rangefinders, binoculars, spotting scopes, tripods and monoculars.

• UNLIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY
  • FULLY TRANSFERABLE
  • NO RECEIPT NEEDED
The VIP Warranty does not cover loss, theft, deliberate damage or cosmetic damage that does not hinder the performance of the product.

NIKON
Binoculars, Spotting Scopes, Fieldscopes and Riflescopes without electronic components
All Nikon Binoculars, Spotting Scopes, Fieldscopes and Riflescopes without electronic components purchased new from an authorized Nikon Canada reseller include a lifetime limited warranty from the date of purchase. During this period, if the product is found to be defective in material or workmanship, Nikon Canada will either repair or replace the product without charge (as long as it meets the terms of the warranty). No registration or “warranty” card is needed with these products; simply retain your original dated proof-of-purchase in case warranty service is needed. However, we recommend registering your product so we can send you information about future updates or service issues that may arise. Please contact your local authorized Nikon Canada reseller for more information.
(editors note- there is a much longer version available)

If you want to add the exact wording for the warranty of your chosen optic- PLEASE DO...nice if we had a 'Go To' Thread for solid warranty info...(and keep the "pro staff" commentary to a minimum) /grin

Last edited:
I agree...

Takem

WKR
I didn't realize Swaro changed their warranty. They've done repairs in my 10 x 42's (bought new) and 15's (bought used) with no questions asked. Hate to see that change.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Kowa has a limited lifetime warranty to the original purchaser for products bought domestically.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm on my phone so I can't copy and paste all of Kowa's warranty page. Says warranty repairs will be done on average in 7-10 business days, non warranty 3-4 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
I'm a little surprised with so many Swaro owners here [inc myself] there isn't a bit more backlash about their warranty change.

Anyone know exactly when this changed?

I've had great warranty service from Swaro in the past [with their lifetime warranty] and of course its a top notch product.

Its the going forward that is going to be the issue. Is someone buying a Swaro product now looking at potentially big repair bills 6 years from now?

I bring it up as sites like Rokslide with lots of Swaro owners can make a strong statement to a mnfr...though it appears many don't care.

It has always been my understanding that the reason for Swarovski’s premium price was to cover their premium lifetime warranty.

I wouldn’t trade my old 7X30 SLC binoculars for anything but they are starting to fog a little and it’s time to send them in for service. I sure hope they don’t spit the bit on this. Could be a game changer on what I buy next.

KurtR

WKR
I think it changed four years ago. I was told it’s because of rules in Europe. I don’t think I would be worried about them taking care of issues

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Long time Swarovski owners aren’t worried about the change because they rarely use the warranty and Swarovski takes care of their customers. I’ve dealt with Zeiss, Leica, and Swarovski on various issues and they have always gone above and beyond. I really think most folks that have problems with warranty items are jerks to the customer service rep they are dealing with...courtesy, kindness and responsibility go a long way.

Here’s an example from last week after I contacted Leica about a lost objective cover for my 8x32 Ultravids. I was polite and genuine about buying a replacement and they said, “no problem sir, we have you covered”, and this showed up in the mail a couple days later:

EDFB4241-FF4E-4F2C-9DC0-BE4F3F7819AF.jpeg

Im not buying a second tier item because of the warranty. I’d always be looking over my shoulder about when I would be using it rather than if I ever was going to use it.

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
I'm a little surprised with so many Swaro owners here [inc myself] there isn't a bit more backlash about their warranty change.

Anyone know exactly when this changed?

I've had great warranty service from Swaro in the past [with their lifetime warranty] and of course its a top notch product.

Its the going forward that is going to be the issue. Is someone buying a Swaro product now looking at potentially big repair bills 6 years from now?

I bring it up as sites like Rokslide with lots of Swaro owners can make a strong statement to a mnfr...though it appears many don't care.

My perspective is that with regular use, I think this goes for most any item I can think of that doesn't have a whole lot of moving parts or high speed parts, you are going to know if there is a warranty issue within the first few uses.
Send Evan an email asking when it changed or whatever else you think is pertinent, he is their media relations guy and a good dude. [email protected]

Leupold and Opticron have a similar warranty to Vortex, Nikon, etc.

Wrench

WKR
My experience with swarovski warranty pissed me off enough that the only other swarovski product I bought was the 15x56 because they had the market cornered. I just about forgot about that scope before it came home.

Wrench

WKR
I sent my gen 1 edg's in for work and they had a new set of gen 2's in my hands 8 days later. Nikon did me right and then some.

generalist

Lil-Rokslider
Got a response back from Swarovski US about my recent SLC purchase. It jives with what I've heard about no warranty issues when purchased in North America. I don't see why this wouldn't apply to their entire line, but don't quote me on that.

"I hope you are well today and thank you for your interest in our products. The SLC line of binoculars comes with a limited lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects. The warranty does not cover wear and tear or damage. With that being said the warranty has not been changed to a five year warranty on the SLC. Depending on the country you are in the warranty can vary but is a limited lifetime warranty for new purchases in the US or Canada."

ChrisAU

WKR
I can say I have been very impressed with Vortex CS not because I “needed” them for repair, bought a used AMG recently and I knew it didn’t have the tool. Researched and found two different ones both around $20, unsure which was right I emailed Vortex CS asking and they asked for my address and they sent me a free one that got to me before the scope did. When I got the scope it had no manual...they sent me one. After I mounted it I realized the elevation turret cap was cross threaded. Bam two new caps on the way. Kim @ Vortex replies to my emails within the hour.

neverquit

WKR
I knocked over my tripod twice last year with my el’s in them. I told them what happened and they fixed right up even fixed a few things I didn’t know were wrong

Trial153

WKR
Swaro warranty doesnt bother me at all, other then replacing eye cups I have yet to need it.

I think lifetime warranties on things like glass and fly rods are a money suck and just inflate the purchase prices.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Got a response back from Swarovski US about my recent SLC purchase. It jives with what I've heard about no warranty issues when purchased in North America. I don't see why this wouldn't apply to their entire line, but don't quote me on that.

"I hope you are well today and thank you for your interest in our products. The SLC line of binoculars comes with a limited lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects. The warranty does not cover wear and tear or damage. With that being said the warranty has not been changed to a five year warranty on the SLC. Depending on the country you are in the warranty can vary but is a limited lifetime warranty for new purchases in the US or Canada."

Strange that they would have the 5 year statement on their site if thats^ the case???????

Good to know....and I agree with Steve on the courtesy thing. I've had good luck with Swaro, Zeiss and Leica warranties. I see these as lifetime binos...so I want a long term warranty.

Sent my 25 yr old SLC's back to Swaro for a stiff focus recently and for $175 they sent me a brand new pair. Sent my Zeiss 15s back when a friend knocked them off the tripod and they needed to be re-aligned- free plus they gave me new outer lens and covers. My Leica Geo's larked right out of the gate- they recommended sending them to Germany vs the US repair center...so it took a few weeks but they were solid for the 7 yrs I owned them. All good warranty work.