Optimal truck bed cover

crich

WKR
So my previous truck had an ARE Z series topper which was solid and a great outfit. I loved it for trips and storage capacity but it was always a pain not being able to get in the bed while standing up to move things around or fit taller items or an ATV.

Fast forward and on my new truck I have a Retrax Pro XR and am really liking it. Easy to convert to an open bed and its very secure but a foot is lost at the front of the bed. With an elk hunt road trip rapidly approaching Im beginning to question storage capacity while closed and am starting to think about what would be more beneficial to have in a northern snowy climate since we're moving to Alaska this winter. I use my bed as a pretty avid DIYer for construction materials and tools along with hunting trips and whatever else.

There are pros and cons to each system and have been wondering what thoughts other folks have ran through their heads when finally deciding on what to stick with.

ZDR

WKR
I installed the Retrax pro XR on my new truck and love it despite the lost space. The weather tightness, security and the ability to mount Yakima or Thule racks And storage systems on it more than make up for the lost room in the bed.

Ktm500

FNG
I have a Low Maxx hard tri fold cover on my truck and I really like it so far. It is aluminum so it is pretty secure when the tailgate is locked. And it comes off the truck completely in about 30 seconds. They have a demo video of them piling snow as high as they could on top of it with a skid steer and it did not damage it.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
I've used the Bakflip and the Undercover Flex type covers, I liked both, the Undercover seemed a little lighter but the Bakflip didn't stand up as high when folded up to the window. They take up very little bed space when folded so you can get an atv in there with the tailgate closed on some of the longer beds and if you need the 4 or 5" of bed space up front they have quick disconnect hardware so it comes off pretty easy. The Bakflip finally started leaking after about 6 years of hard use so I tried the Undercover, had it for the last couple years before I sold the truck and it was pretty solid. Actually getting a new Undercover put on the new truck next week. Bakflip has four folds, Undercover has three.

OP
crich

crich

WKR
I installed the Retrax pro XR on my new truck and love it despite the lost space. The weather tightness, security and the ability to mount Yakima or Thule racks And storage systems on it more than make up for the lost room in the bed.
My original intention was to put a rack system on top but haven't got around to it yet.

I have a Low Maxx hard tri fold cover on my truck and I really like it so far. It is aluminum so it is pretty secure when the tailgate is locked. And it comes off the truck completely in about 30 seconds. They have a demo video of them piling snow as high as they could on top of it with a skid steer and it did not damage it.
Haven't heard of those I'll check it out. If it comes off that fast thats pretty slick. Something secure but easily removed and combined with a softopper when needed might be the ticket. Not much security that those though.

willidru

WKR
Reviving old thread vs starting a new one. For the roll up covers like retrax how do they work in the snow? I need roll back so I can keep my kennel in the bed during duck season, but also looking for secure storage.

looking at xr pro with rack, but concern if it’s snowing having to clean it off every time before I open it.