Option 8 Peep Size?

raptor16

Lil-Rokslider
One of the main complaints from guys on these sights is that the sight housing is oval shaped (which I get because it is kind of weird).

I have one on both my bows and I really like them. I’m curious though, what peep, what size are you using, and how far from the riser is your sight?

Only asking guys that shoot an 8s with the oval housing!

Johnboy

WKR
5/16" titanium peep here. But by strange coincidence, I was JUST NOW checking (literally 10 minutes ago) the interweb for any new oval shaped peeps that might match the contour of the Option 8 aperture. I've had my eye open for something like that for three years now. Nothing has turned up. I have a friend who owns a machine shop. I might model one up in CAD and have him run one for me on his wire EDM.

5/16" G5 Meta peep with the sight's dovetail bar set right around the midpoint. A 5/16" peep seems huge at first glance, but it frames my Option 8s housing very well. Per Dan Evans at Option, they're currently prototyping an oblong peep designed to match the shape of their 8-pin sight housing, but there's no firm date on when it will be ready.

Johnboy

WKR
5/16" G5 Meta for me with the dovetail bar set right around the midpoint. A 5/16" peep seems huge at first glance, but it frames my Option 8s housing very well. Per Dan Evans at Option, they're currently prototyping an oblong peep designed to match the shape of their 8-pin sight housing, but there's no firm date on when it will be ready.

That prototype effort has been underway for about 4 years now. I'm not hopeful, though I'd love to be surprised. Unless this is a new thing, in which case I'll stand corrected.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m sorry but I don’t see how any oval shape peep placed close to your eye is going be anything other than round looking thru it.

TripleJ

WKR
I don't know the exact size I have, but I run a "customized" oval peep with mine, meaning a few swipes on the top and a few swipes on the bottom of the peep hole with a round file. Paint the inside black where you removed material. I get a perfect view of the oval housing and don't have to strain to center it and see the level at the same time.

SaltyUte

Lil-Rokslider
Hamskea Raptor Peep 3/16" for me. Have my sight pretty much maxed out on the extension bar.

SquirrelyDan

Lil-Rokslider
Option Archery now sells the Oval peep i believe it is 7/32.