Option Archery Sight Question

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the market for a new sight for next season. With Black Friday deals out there, I saw that option archery has 20% off of their sights.

I like the idea of opening the housing to your single pin. I have no experience with this sign, so looking for reviews on it.

I shoot 70lb, 345ibo, 29inch draw with 535g arrows. How far do you think I can shoot out too with this sight?

Is the the oval sight hard to centre in your peep or does that become a non issue.

If not this sight, any recommendations for another slider style sight?

Thanks for the help

Cheers.

I can't tell you exactly what distance you will get. I would email Dan @ Option Archery about that and he will know. But, you will get more distance out of the oval housing. It takes some practice but is no big deal to center once you're used to it.

I very much like this sight and plan to use it for a very long time.

I've been shooting an Option 8S for a couple of years and like it. With my 630 gr hunting arrows shot from a 28"/70# Mathews Heli-m, I can get 20-80 yds out of the sight. With the 380 gr arrows I built for Total Archery Challenge, I could get 20-130 yds.

Centering the 8S's oval sight housing within the peep took some getting used to, but it soon became second nature. The 4S and 6S models have a circular housing but offer less vertical pin travel.

TripleJ

WKR
I can't tell you exactly what distance you will get. I would email Dan @ Option Archery about that and he will know. But, you will get more distance out of the oval housing. It takes some practice but is no big deal to center once you're used to it.

I very much like this sight and plan to use it for a very long time.

This. Love my option sight. With a 400 grain arrow I can dial to about 115 yds

Florida Bow Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not at all familiar with single pin sights. I did see Cam Hanes, who uses a Spott Hogg Father single pin shoot 160 yards. He does some tape manipulation and things to get more yardage. He explained but I Didn’t pay no mind. Got me thinking single pin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Following this. I looked at the option sight 2 years ago. There was some info about rattle and durability issues on the inter web that sent me in a different direction. Still an interesting concept though.

Powerman

FNG
I have always been more than happy with spott Hogg. Would definitely recommend them.

Zac

WKR
Apparently you can sight in the third Axis on the MBG Pro model, would be interested to see how this works.

HookUp

WKR
I just switched to an Option 8 with .10 pins and wish I would have made the jump sooner. Hands down the best sight I have ever owned. Shooting 274 fps 475 grain arrow 70 lb 28" draw and can dial to 110 yards. The oval housing aligns in my round peep. An oval peep is in the works from Option. One of the best things about this sight is the housing does not move. You can anchor the same for every shot, I'm more accurate.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Following this. I looked at the option sight 2 years ago. There was some info about rattle and durability issues on the inter web that sent me in a different direction. Still an interesting concept though.

I'd guess the person that reported a rattle or durability issues with an Option Archery sight was blowing smoke for his favorite brand. I litterally bounce around the rockies for 3-4 months a year and mine are tights as new.
I have used the Option 8 since it came out and just like everything Dan Evans has made, it's bomb proof. I spend 100-140 in the field hunting every year and the majority are with my bows. I have never had an issue with an Option sight.
To the OP, with an Option 8 and that bow/arrow set up you could easily get 100-110 yards.

bat-cave

WKR
I haven't actually seen the Option 8 in person. Can anyone speak to why they went with the oval housing versus round? I would assume they have a good reason, but it seems like an off choice given standard peeps are round.

I haven't actually seen the Option 8 in person. Can anyone speak to why they went with the oval housing versus round? I would assume they have a good reason, but it seems like an off choice given standard peeps are round.
So that there's more vertical travel for shooting longer distances. The standard housing is about rite for a fixed 7 pin sight, so the floating pin would only really be useful for dialing ranges in between pins if it were used in that configuration. With the oval housing there's room with most setups to have the fixed pins cover 20-80 yds and the floating pin can be used to dial for out around 100 yds.

Twitch

WKR
I think the sale was $20 off, not 20%

Anyways, I have an Option 8 and an Option 6 and absolutely love them.
Being able to switch between multi-pin and single in a second in the field is awesome.

As for the oval housing and peep alignment, I simply match the top of my peep with the top of the oval (can't remember my peep size, but it's large enough to see the whole oval of the housing) anyway, by aligning the top of the peep circle with the top of the oval allows consistent, accurate results.

As for the "rattle" or "buzz".... this is a real thing, but easily remedied.
There is a piece of felt next to the backside of the sliding pin. As this wears, a bit of noise can be heard when shooting. You can get another piece of felt from Dan, or easier, I just replaced with a small piece of moleskin.

AdamLewis

FNG
I have both the 6 and 8 as well and they are fantastic.

I have the 6 on an extended mount and was worried about durability with it hanging out there. I bounced it around a good bit the last 2 seasons and haven't had it drift at all.

Ran an Option 6 for 3 seasons and definitely had no issues with durability. 465 gr arrows out of a 350 ibo bow got me out to 110 yards. Never felt the need to go any further with an Option 8.

Colobwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Why don't the option sights have 1st axis adjustment? Seems kind of important with any slider sight.