Option Archery sight?

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone using the Option Archery sight and happy with it? How about anyone who had it and moved on? Why? I run a black Gold 5 pin slider and a 3 pin slider. I love the Black Gold pins and brightness, love the micro adjustability, but I often forget to return the sight to zero after adjusting and make stupid shots. This WILL cost me an animal someday. I also find that at longer ranges, moving the entire housing affects my anchor a bit, which is bad at distance. So the Option 8 looks like it solves my issues, but is it good or is it a gimmick that isn’t well executed? Thanks

I've been shooting an Option 8s since 2018 and I love it. The fixed pins are completely independent of the moving pin so they're always at the correct range, and there's no need to ever reset to zero before aiming with the fixed pins. The ability to swing the fixed pins out of the way gives you a very clean sight picture for target/3D shooting (and at an animal if you have the time). The sight is very well-built structually and the fit/finish of all the moving components is great. I like mine well enough that I just picked up a used Option 6 to put on my backup bow.

I'm obviously a fan, but the Option design may not be everyone's cup of tea. It's definitely not a gimmick though; it's a high quality sight right up there with other top-of-the-line offerings.

Last edited:

Ctitus25

Lil-Rokslider
I have the option 8 and its nice. My only gripe is that the oval housing makes it tough to see the pins near the bottom through the peep. That being said, I have my fixed pins zeroed to my broadheads and the slider zeroed to my field points. Negligible difference out to 60 where I shoot the broadheads, but after 60 there is wind drag and my lack of skill :D 🏹 and I like to shoot far targets at the 3D range. So the sight is nice for that flexability.

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
I have an Option 6 I just gave to my brother. Dan makes a great product and their CS is top notch. The pins are bright, the housing and mount is sturdy and the worm gear is butter. My concern, is the 6-pin housing only gave me 20-85 yards of range shooting almost 300fps and at the bottom of the sight the pin is resting on the bubble and doesn't give a clear sight picture. For whitetail and closer game, maybe even dark timber elk, it is 100% ready to go.

Dennis

WKR
I love the Option 8 sight and Dan has been great! I have an Option 8 sight with four fixed pins (20, 30, 40 and 50 Yards) and my slider set at 60 yards. My 40 yard pin is my middle pin and orange in color which helps me not lose track of which pin I am using. The other four pins are all green in color which works well for me. I can use this system for most of my shots and dial quickly for longer shots or a specific ranges as time allows. The Option eight window being larger allows for using the sliding pin at much longer ranges. Since switching to the Option 8 I have not forgot to reset it and have found the entire Option Archery system of sight, Quivalizer and Cache bar saved me weight and increased my accuracy. Great system and well designed.

Johnboy

WKR
I've run an Option 8 with 3 fixed pins and the standard floater for the last 3 seasons and have no plan to change anything. The only downside to it is the oblong shape of the aperture being slightly more difficult to align concentrically with a round peep. A peep sight shaped to match the aperture would be ideal (I've even considered modeling one up and asking a friend to machine it for me). But I think this issue is offset at longer ranges by the fact that the aperture doesn't move with the floating pin, which allows for a consistent anchor.

I have a couple of MBG sights that I've enjoyed using, but my consistency isn't quite equal at long distances compared with using the Option. I attribute this to slight inconsistency in anchor point caused by changes in aperture position relative to the rest of the bow as the sight is adjusted for various distances.

Not sure if that explanation is clear, so for what it's worth...

paxamus

WKR
These have intrigued me and I am considering looking into one. I’m shooting a Garmin Xero now and was wondering how well made are those Option sights. I really like my Garmin, just worried how strong the plastic that holds it on is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dennis

WKR
To Johnboy's comment on peep sight for Option 8. I too had trouble with matching a round peep to an oval sight. My solution was to squeezed the peep in a vise to match the oval of the sight. I don't know what size peep I started with, but I slowly squeezed the aluminum peep multiple times until it matched my sight. Be careful not to over squeeze or damage your string. It might be easiest with two people. Worked out well for me and improved my consistency. I have been using the same peep for several years now. You can sort of see the shape in the photo.

Attachments

• IMG_1224.JPG
    IMG_1224.JPG
    389.6 KB · Views: 49

raptor16

Lil-Rokslider
I have an option 8s on both of my bows. The oval housing takes some getting used to, but that’s the only “negative”. Highly recommend. They’re a top quality sight.

jdubrr

Lil-Rokslider
I had an option 6 for several years and liked it. 2 drawbacks for me: 1 as someone already mentioned where when you dialed long distance the slider pin would sit just above the bubble and the sight picture is affected. I was only able to dial out to 76 yards. 2 - I had the original model which didn't have enough fiber so the slider pin was not very bright. I could have sent it in to get upgraded but never did.

I since went to a black gold pro and while pricey I really like the micro adjust feature of it, now I can dial out past 100 yards, and all the pins are bright