Options to slim down bow tool?

fwafwow

WKR
I am still working on reducing weight for some of my bigger items (packs and sleeping bags - thanks to all who have provided input). Now I'm down to some of the smaller items. I see lots of suggestions to do away with a multi-tool, or to drop to a mini (I'm opting for the Leatherman Squirt PS4), but I'm trying to figure out whether to slim down my bow tool - which is currently the Lansky Bowsharp Bowhunter Tool and Sharpener, which weighs 7.2 oz. I love this thing, but is it more than I need in the woods for a week? I've looked at the Leatherman Cam (78g - currently on sale for $18 at Leatherman site), but am I missing some function? Any other options?

Rob5589

WKR
I don't see the need for a BH sharpener/tool, unless you are needing to often re-sharpen and remove heads in the field. I would think separate allens would be lighter than a combined tool. Personally, I leave all the tools at base camp/truck and lock everything down with green or blue loctite. If anything comes loose it is more than likely to need more than that simple Lansky tool. As with everything, ymmv.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I don't see the need for a BH sharpener/tool, unless you are needing to often re-sharpen and remove heads in the field. I would think separate allens would be lighter than a combined tool. Personally, I leave all the tools at base camp/truck and lock everything down with green or blue loctite. If anything comes loose it is more than likely to need more than that simple Lansky tool. As with everything, ymmv.

That's a great point. I think I have been too caught up in "the list" and trimming weight that I have now figured out that I should have "listS" - including one that is of items that I might need but that can stay in the truck. I've moved the bow tool to that list. I still think I need a very light plastic broadhead wrench, as I'm guaranteed to cut off a finger trying to replace a BH by hand....

Brendan

WKR
I don't bring a "bow tool"

I bring:
Small Allen keys in appropriate sizes
D Loop Material
Serving thread
Lighter - Already Have
Duct tape - Already Have
Super glue - Already Have
Leatherman Squirt - Already Have

More tools and a complete backup bow ready to go in the truck.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
That's a great point. I think I have been too caught up in "the list" and trimming weight that I have now figured out that I should have "listS" - including one that is of items that I might need but that can stay in the truck. I've moved the bow tool to that list. I still think I need a very light plastic broadhead wrench, as I'm guaranteed to cut off a finger trying to replace a BH by hand....
This is my opinion, but I don't used BH wrenches, even at home

Beendare

WKR
I have the same items as Brendan...plus a couple noks...all in one of those small ziplock bags. That covers a lot of contingencies.

MattB

WKR
Figure out which size allens your bow actually uses and throw those in. No reason to carry those that don't serve a purpose on your bow.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a cheap plastic bh tool that weighs nothing. It’s easy to get complacent while hunting so I bring it. Packing a .2oz fear is worth it I guess. And a few individual Allen wrenches. I don’t bring any serving or d-loop because I wouldn’t know how to do it.

worx53

WKR
I always have a leatherman skeletool cx with the 2 bit kits that probably have 20 different allan, torx, etc.
My buddy used it every day in AK on our moose hunt. it was worth the couple extra ounces of weight but the 2 bit kits are ultralight and give a huge selection at a weight comparison of probably 3 full size allan wrenches

TravisIN

WKR
So I just took the 3-5 allens that I actually needed, a bunch of serving material which weighs nothing, about 4’ of d loop, 3 extra nicks and three extra BHs. So much d loop bc i shoot a hamskea and wanted to be able to redo my limb cord if needed. The broadheads were slick tricks so the broke down. I put all of this in small mentos gun pack. It’s hard plastic, has a good lid that closes and stays closed. And also the shape of it is better than a pill bottle, as far as packing goes. I put it in an xs kifaru UL pullout with other essentials stuff. Weighed 5.4 oz and could definitely be lighter without broadheads. The dloop and serving stuffed In there keeps it quiet also.

082586ac9a02c1b5bfc2fcdd395ffde1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk