OR bivy sacks advice (on sale at goHunt)

FlyGuy

WKR
I’ve been contemplating adding a bivy sack to my kit since my NM ibex hunt last February. I packed in for 5 days (solo) with my supertarp and set up camp at the last (highest) flat spot on the Mtn, but this still left me with a ridiculously steep 400’ climb every morning to the ridge top to begin my hunt. If I’d owned a bivy sack at the time, There were a few spots dug out along that ridge top from previous hunters that I could have camped in and saved myself that climb and decent in the dark everyday, but there was no way I could fit my supertarp into them. They were tight spots and this was an incredibly windblown ridge so low profile was an absolute must.

618a080b8e451627e93ba5ad19bd3412.jpg

Anyway, that’s when I 1st started thinking of picking one up. It will be a while before I draw an Ibex tag again, but I did draw a NM Barbary sheep tag in a nearby unit for Feb 21, so I could be facing similar conditions again soon.

I’ve also imagined using a bivy along with my sheep tarp for a serviceable spike camp for a night or two of exploring elk country far from base/bivy camp in September, without the need for me to pack up my entire bivy shelter.

Anyway, goHunt is having a 4th of July sale and they have 4 different bivy sacks from OR marked down. I’m hesitant to pull the trigger as I just don’t know anything about them, or if there are far better options out there for the money? Hoping someone here can set me straight on that?

The models they have are:

- Helium $179 now $134

- Alpine $249 now $186

- Interstellar $275 now $192

- Stargazer $259 now $194

The Interstellar (1lb 3.9oz) and the Stargazer (1lb 2.8oz) both have side zip entries and are the two I’m most interested in. Thanks for any advice you are willing to share.

You can’t cheat the mountain

Poser

WKR
These are great bivy sacks and OR has been making some of these models (or predecessor models) for years. I would probably go with the Alpine.

ELKOHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I ran the alpine for years. I sold it for a tent because I woke up with a camel spider inside of it one morning. With that being said. The situation you described would be perfect. Just a thought... if you dont plan to camp on the ridge the whole hunt, throw in a SOL bivy and keep the tarp for the prime spot.

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
I have the alpine and I thought it was a pain in the ass to get into. Once I was in it, it was fine, but the top entry had my eyeing the side zips enviously.

Big bivy fan. Started using a .mil 2# goretex one. Flirt with a few others and still have a helium. Have not used it since I bought my borah.

the OR bivy is fine but the borah is better on shoulder room, breatability and entry zipapers.

The OR Advanced Bivy I owned for a short time was just too small for my liking. When I put my pad (Xtherm) and Slick Bag in there it was just too tight for me.

Borah Gear made me a custom sized (long and wide) with a custom center zip (to match my Slick Bag) out of eVent material and I couldn’t be happier. I’ll definitely buy another Borah built to my specs if this one ever fails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turley

Lil-Rokslider
When choosing a bivy it really depends on if you're after a stand alone shelter or if it is a part of a sleep system.
The Outdoor Research line of bivy sacks are waterproof and the seams are taped from the manufacturer.....so technically they can withstand rain without tarp.
Borah Gear no longer makes the eVent Snowyside (a shame) which was waterproof. Now their bivy line is waterproof on the bottom with a breathable water resistant on the top. These probably will be fine in a short shower without a tarp......but for long showers or harder storms a tarp over them is needed.
MLD makes an eVent bivy but it is quite a bit more expensive than OR and Borah.

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
Thx.

I have a MLD bug bivy that I use under my supertarp for that purpose. It works great for keeping my sleep system fully contained and it adds a few degrees of warmth which is great for my head/face when using a quilt.

What I am looking for is something that is fully waterproof - and especially wind proof - that can be used as a stand alone shelter. As I said, those Florida Mtns are as nasty and steep as everyone says they are, and the wind is always on a constant howl with so few spots that are flat and have a windbreak. And the few I found were tiny.

Given that these two (only interested in the two with side zips) are on sale this weekend those are the two I’m focused on. Doesn’t seem to be much difference between the two but hopefully someone here has experience with one or both.

You can’t cheat the mountain

slatty

WKR
I have the OR helium and i'm happy with it. I'm a small guy and getting in and out isn't pretty but it's tiny and light and inexpensive. I've just loved the simplicity of that thing some nights just rolling it out and going to bed.
I hear great things about borah as well.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
If they have a return policy I’d order them both and keep the one that would be best (figure return shipping is minimal).
Found this OR comparison so I’d probably go with the Stargazer..

Last edited:

turley

Lil-Rokslider
Here is an option from REI that seems very similar to the OR Stargazer:

I Beam

FNG
The OR Advanced Bivy I owned for a short time was just too small for my liking. When I put my pad (Xtherm) and Slick Bag in there it was just too tight for me.

Borah Gear made me a custom sized (long and wide) with a custom center zip (to match my Slick Bag) out of eVent material and I couldn’t be happier. I’ll definitely buy another Borah built to my specs if this one ever fails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you have a picture by any chance? I'm looking for same option.

RifleBen

FNG
Has anyone used a higher end bivvy with a hammock? I’ve been using an old surplus one for a while but still use a tarp for sure, it adds some extra weatherproofing but I doubt it would stand up to rain well solo