OR Swoop Mitts

cmat1120

FNG
I recently purchased some OR Swoop mitts that I'm on the fence on keeping. They're slightly insulated 3 finger shells that let your whole hand slide through by flipping the top back. The top is held closed and open with velcro. They have a nice leather palm and the outer shell is a water proof material.

My biggest concern is water resistance. Obviously I knew these wouldn't be waterproof seeing as how they open up, but with them closed as much as possible they are much less protected than I thought they would(the velcro connection leads to little open ripples if that makes sense). I've only been hunting a little bit and fortunately haven't hunted in the rain yet, so I wanted to see from other people who have more experience if this issue would be a deal breaker for them or if I'm worrying about something I shouldn't. Or if the ability to slide your whole hand through the mitt is useful enough to make the water issue worth it.

One solution I've thought of(although I'm not super excited about having to find a solution) is getting a pair of the borah eVent mitts when they're back in stock to go over these. Those weigh an oz and seem to be well reviewed and they'd cover the one part of these that's not sealed.

Example picture:

Last edited:

jolemons

WKR
Those look like some serious extreme cold winter gloves. If they are, then they'll be worn in snow, not rain. Don't worry about it. In warmer weather when it rains you can use a mitt shell over lighter weight gloves.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
Those look great. Along time ago I had a pair of OR over mitts that were just a waterproof shell, no way to get to your fingers without taking them off. I almost never used them because it was more trouble than it was worth to get my fingers out.