Kifaru 357 Mag

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I've been eyeing the Kifaru 357 Mag for a while now and finally ordered it today. I think it will be the perfect pack for shooting competitions and also scouting or backpacking trips when I won't be packing meat. Who has one and how do you like it?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Yeah I love the side pocket addition. I have the 22 mag which doesn’t have the pockets and then I have the biggest version of this series in the Ma Duece. Thinking about selling my 22 Mag and getting the extra room with the side pockets on the 357. Especially since I just bought an even smaller Osprey day/scouting pack.

Would love to hear your thoughts after trying it out. If you could load it up full and post some photos that would be awesome. Wondering how many days worth of gear and food it could hold. Was thinking 3 might be possible? Especially since it looks like you could fit 2 of the Large pouches on the main bag?

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I love the side pocket addition. I have the 22 mag which doesn’t have the pockets and then I have the biggest version of this series in the Ma Duece. Thinking about selling my 22 Mag and getting the extra room with the side pockets on the 357. Especially since I just bought an even smaller Osprey day/scouting pack.

Would love to hear your thoughts after trying it out. If you could load it up full and post some photos that would be awesome. Wondering how many days worth of gear and food it could hold. Was thinking 3 might be possible? Especially since it looks like you could fit 2 of the Large pouches on the main bag?

I'll definitely do that. I'm hoping it shows up before I head to Nodak in January for a week of coyote hunting.

GIS

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered one last summer and it has been perfect for scouting trips and early season antelope and deer hunting.

The side pockets easily fit my tripod and spotting scope.

I packed out a whitetail buck in it with my day gear. Bone in quarters, backstraps, neck meat and tenderloins fit inside the pack in addition to some gear. My duplex light frame carries a heavy load like that better than the 357 mag but it wasn't bad by any means.

It has become one of my favorites. I also have a shape charge and 44 mag. It's hard to beat the clamshell design imo.

Pic with day gear including tripod and spotting scope.
5093acf4ad1c5af4fd81db9d8f529429.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'll definitely do that. I'm hoping it shows up before I head to Nodak in January for a week of coyote hunting.
There can't be many song dogs left in ND the way your brother gets after them. But fill that new pack with clothes and come enjoy the balmy weather.

Lawnboi

WKR
Would like some pics with rifle match gear once you get it. Right now I just use my 14r for steel matches and it works okay but some better spotter/tripod holding options are mainly what I’m looking for. That and I’d like the pack to be able to open up a bit more.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Would like some pics with rifle match gear once you get it. Right now I just use my 14r for steel matches and it works okay but some better spotter/tripod holding options are mainly what I’m looking for. That and I’d like the pack to be able to open up a bit more.

I'll get some photos of that for sure. My buddy Casey uses the 14r so I'll compare them side by side too.

gunrush128

Lil-Rokslider
Interested in some input on the 357 mag. Strongly considering this pack for a fly-in Newfoundland moose hunt, but I’m afraid it might be a tad big since we’ll be back at camp every night. Thoughts?

Alternatively considering the Shape Charge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Interested in some input on the 357 mag. Strongly considering this pack for a fly-in Newfoundland moose hunt, but I’m afraid it might be a tad big since we’ll be back at camp every night. Thoughts?

Alternatively considering the Shape Charge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I guess it depends if you are going to have to pack it out? If I was packing out a moose, I would want something like the Striker XL if day hunting.

Im getting the shape charge I think…. It just looks so damn perfect. Any thoughts from those who have one??
I have a Shape Charge and really like it for day hikes and some of my shooting matches. Sometimes it's a little small which is why I'm adding the 357 mag to my collection.