Ordered Kuiu - not impressed

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
What a strange thread, went from not impressed to keeping a bunch.

Anyways, I've got a few pieces in both solids and camo colorways, including Tiburon shorts and pants, and they are all the same fabric. I have not purchased any Tiburon since...summer of 2019 I think, so maybe they made a change.

Kuiu has always run long-legged and small-waisted though.

Well let me clarify for you and add one more thing. There were several reasons I was not impressed: (1) fabric was different on the same style pants; (2) the order which I called in was botched in several ways the sent the wrong items and they sent the wrong sizes on items the did get correct; and (3) they were a “different” fit to be polite. One other thing that I have not yet mentioned is there was a hat in the box. I didn’t order a hat. I originally thought it was a free item for a first order. I was wrong. When I looked at the charge I was charged for it. So the hat went back.

Why did I keep the items I kept? Because they seemed to be of nice quality and I want to see how they compare to Sitka and other camo I own. I am always looking for new items and to the extent they are better, I want to use them.

To conclude, I was not impressed, am still not impressed, but that is no reason to not keep some items that may work well for me.

jikkyo

FNG
I’m a huge Kuiu fan. Have been following them for years.

I got a pair of Attack pants last year in 34 which is what I wear for everything. It was a bit tight in the waist and very tight in the crouch. Felt like my balls were being squished. Had to return it for the bigger size. Chugach fit TTS and have work great in the BC rain.

I’ll continue to buy Kuiu even though it’s a pain due to the Canadian conversion rates and shipping delays. Have some kutana pants and gaiters in transit 🙌

I'm a Kuiu fan and have grown to appreciate some of my original pieces even more after years of use. Medium tops always fit great. I'm a size 30 waist and their size 30 pants are very tight on my thighs. I buy size 32 and have a local tailor alter the waist. I think she charged about $8 for three pairs. The features and fabric make this effort worth it.
I recently bought both attack and axis pants in size 32 and size 34. The 32's are snug in the waist, but every other aspect is perfect. The 34's are just loose and sloppy. Kuiu does not offer a 33...which I would imagine would be the solution. What exactly does your tailor do to the pants to get your fit right? Just take in the waist?

Yeah, she just takes in the waist. 32s fit me everywhere except the waist. 30s fit my waist but are too tight elsewhere.

Bärenjäger

Lil-Rokslider
All I know is I love my KUIU quarter zip peloton fleece and my Chugach rain jacket. Had no issues following their size chart. As a 6'5" skinny guy I'm thrilled to hear their pants are so long.
Same here. 6'5”, 215#. All their stuff fits like it was tailored to me. When I started building my kit, I was headed for FL. They were sold out of everything in tall sizes at the time and tried Kuiu. Haven't looked back.

OP, I say buy one pair of pants from each company you're interested in. Compare all the pros and cons and go from there.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Yeah, she just takes in the waist. 32s fit me everywhere except the waist. 30s fit my waist but are too tight elsewhere.
Went to the high-end suit shop in my town today...they have the best tailor around. They basically said that they cannot modify my pants without ruining the waterproofing. Have you had any issues with your pants since they'be been altered? What pants are you running? If you are running the attack and axis...what exactly did your tailor do? Any chance you could post a pic? Sorry to be a PITA :) appreciate it bud.

Bärenjäger

Lil-Rokslider
Went to the high-end suit shop in my town today...they have the best tailor around. They basically said that they cannot modify my pants without ruining the waterproofing. Have you had any issues with your pants since they'be been altered? What pants are you running? If you are running the attack and axis...what exactly did your tailor do? Any chance you could post a pic? Sorry to be a PITA :) appreciate it bud.
Just re-treat with DWR after the alterations. You should be fine.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
For pants that have a bigger waist than I want I just put the pants on, fold the waist over on itself till it fits right and mark. Take em off and sew that fold over up with some waxed thread. Pretty simple and I have had no issues with that after doing many pair. E-Z to go back to the original size also.

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
I like the quality & features of Kuiu gear as well as the company philosophy but there is room for improvement in sizing consistency. I have experienced base layers fitting roomier than outerwear of the same size and considerably different fit for Zip-T in Merino compared to a synthetic Zip-T (Peloton) of the same size. The "size up", "athletic fit" and "send it back" responses do not address these inconsistency issues. That being said, when you find a Kuiu piece that does works for you it is a beautiful thing to behold so don't give up.

In full disclosure I have more gear from First Lite and about the same amount from Sitka as I do Kuiu and neither of those are perfect either. I consider myself of supporter of all 3 and believe that they would all welcome constructive criticism.

I have the Sitka ascent pants and the Kuiu tiburons love them both! They both were true to size normally 31 or 32 in jeans and 32 size was perfect in both for me and normally swap them out during hot weather don’t really have a preference of one over the other for hot weather, it just depends on which camo pattern I feel like wearing. I do like the option for knee pads on the ascent pants though.