Ordering 1/2 or whole cow...

psirus7

WKR
Man, that’s the only way to go. Mimi the “meat lady” sells the best grass fed beef in eastern NM!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've sold 9 to folks in my area. All in halves....Raising ya own beef is the only way to.go. here is the ones to leave Saturday after I milk my dairy cows. Charge them 3.10$ on the pole they cover processing and i pay the kill bill.
6036d1e430dc4fbb3b72cf2e81c840b4.jpg
e4dda9bd8630fa7d6dc395968449a324.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

ChrisA

WKR
So sue me!
Sue ya? Hell I applaud you for buying direct from the producer and supporting the local locker. Those look like choice steaks and certainly came from a finished steer or heifer. Generally an older female that's raised at least one or two or sixteen plus calves is considered a cow, and likely will produce less palatable steaks than those in your photo.

I guess proper nomenclature is a beef of mine; didn't mean to ruffle your feathers.

Chris

OP
P
Sue ya? Hell I applaud you for buying direct from the producer and supporting the local locker. Those look like choice steaks and certainly came from a finished steer or heifer. Generally an older female that's raised at least one or two or sixteen plus calves is considered a cow, and likely will produce less palatable steaks than those in your photo.

I guess proper nomenclature is a beef of mine; didn't mean to ruffle your feathers.

Chris

None ruffled. ;-)

I honestly want to eat this meat as fast as possible just so that we can go buy some more!

slick

WKR
This thread is making me crave a well marbled steak..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aa2eb227909dd2e3b918cc88df4dd0a0.jpg

tdhanses

WKR
Anyone in the KC area have a good source for 1/4 or 1/2 cow that isn’t $9/lb?

SonnyDay

WKR
Hope y'all understand the difference in grass raised and grass finished.
Yeah, my bad, I should have clarified we buy grass-finished (in addition to grass-fed). I prefer the taste/marbling of grain-finished... but looking to keep the old ticker helping me climb the steep crags as long as I can.

Yeah, my bad, I should have clarified we buy grass-finished (in addition to grass-fed). I prefer the taste/marbling of grain-finished... but looking to keep the old ticker helping me climb the steep crags as long as I can.

My point is that grass finished or grain finished it still has the same marbling. When finished.

I can understand the reasoning behind the grass raised. I wouldn't pay a premium for it tho.

I am very lucky to have an uncle that butchers. Will never go back to grocery store beef if i dont have to. Its great.

BFL

FNG
Wow, what an interesting thread. I've honestly never thought about purchasing a half or even a quarter beef at a time. And guess what, I'm a butcher! Fun fact: 100%grass fed beef fat has the same omega 3 as eating salmon. Good info for anyone that doesn't like seafood too much. Also, 100% grass fed will generally NOT have the same marbling as grain finished. Will some have really nice marbling? Sure, they're all different, but not generally speaking.

Last edited:

mitchellmountain

Lil-Rokslider
Been raising our own for 12 years. Raise 3 or 4 and keep a 1/2 for us then sell the rest. I buy them late April and then butcher them late October/early November. Hard for my family of five to polish it off each year before the next batch shows up. Would really miss it if our situation changed.

Broomd

WKR
Our meat is sold out for 2020, almost all repeat biz......gotta love local ranch raised beef!

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_f58.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_f58.jpeg
    426.1 KB · Views: 22