Ordering Boots Online Question

JStol5

WKR
Hi all,

Bit of a long question, but I'm sure some of ya'll have been in the same shoes (no pun intended) as me.

No good boot shops near me- just an REI with a handful of Lowa models (Camino, Tibet) and a couple Zamberlan (Vioz Lux GTX RR, Baltoro Lite). I ordered some Crispi Kenai's off Black Ovis, but they have an airtight return policy and I'm a bit worried that since I can only wear them around the house (can't return em if they go outside), I may screw myself here. Bought the Kenai's because they seem to fit the bill for a good all-around boot, and I've read that Crispi's are fairly true to size. How do you determine that the boots you ordered online are the right fit/keepers? And what do you folks do in this scenario? Go local and limit your options for a potentially better warranty, or buy online and risk it? Any tips appreciated. This is my first pair of high end boots. Thanks.

Last edited:
I've wondered the same thing. Normally I just buy whatever is at sportsman's but those Crispi's are definitely eye catching...
Hi all,

Bit of a long question, but I'm sure some of ya'll have been in the same shoes (no pun intended) as me.

No good boot shops near me- just an REI with a handful of Lowa models (Camino, Tibet) and a couple Zamberlan (Vioz Lux GTX RR, Baltoro Lite). I ordered some Crispi Kenai's off Black Ovis, but they have an airtight return policy and I'm a bit worried that since I can only wear them around the house (can't return em if they go outside), I may screw myself here. Bought the Kenai's because they seem to fit the bill for a good all-around boot, and I've read that Crispi's are fairly true to size. How do you determine that the boots you ordered online are the right fit/keepers? And what do you folks do in this scenario? Go local and limit your options for a potentially better warranty, or buy online and risk it? Any tips appreciated. This is my first pair of high end boots. Thanks.

colersu22

WKR
I have had good luck with crispi’s, I have had my Nevada for like 5 years and recently got the summits. Both those are great and fit good. I did have a pair of Thor’s and the left boot hurt my foot, I tried wearing them multiple times with the factory and aftermarket soles but in the end just gave them away to a guy I work with and cut my losses. All boots are the same size but I think my problem was the Thor is stiffer than the Nevada or summits and the lack of flex is what caused the pain.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
I tried crispi and kenetrek (from a local store) at home on the treadmill on incline for a mile or so each, thought I’d settled on crispi but ordered schnees beartooth and did the same, they fit
My foot the best so the others were retuned

I also live in an area where I can't try boots on in the store. So, I order online all the boots I am considering. One year that was 5 different pairs! Wear them around the house...use the treadmill, walk the steps, etc. Once I have narrowed it down to the best pair or two I head outside with them and return the rest. Wear the pair that feels the best outside first, hoping they fit then I can still return the second pair without wearing them outside. If you have to wear the second pair outside, sell one pair used on rokslide.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I can't even remember the last pair of boots I bought locally. All mine are bought online, at deep discounts when I find what I want. Right now I have Zamberlan and Crispi.

Rokwiia

WKR
I ordered from several companies including Schnees and only wore the boots in the house. I found those boots which fit comfortably in the house worked out for me when I kept them and then wore them outdoors. Maybe I was just lucky.

In general, my experience was that a tight fit in a particular part of the boot was an automatic return. The two that I kept, the Schnees Timberline and Absaroka, fit like a glove in the house. So did their Divide Mid but I didn't need three pairs.

I also wear an orthotic in all my outdoor footwear. It is not custom but is an off-the-shelf one. If you use one, always be sure to remove the existing footbed and replace with the orthotic while wearing it in the house.

I have been using Danners for years. Local shop carries them and I love the brand.

Jumped on a Camofire deal for Crispi Thors and had no idea boots could be this good. Followed the online advice of buying true to size and it worked out! Sometimes you just have to roll the dice.

sako75

FNG
Get some boot covers that repair men use to go into your house with their boots on Look around because there’s some really cheap ones that you couldn’t get out of your driveway without wrecking them but there’s some that are quite thick on the bottom. Walk outside and test boots look like new when you take the covers off. Warning hike somewhere there’s no people because you’ll look ridiculous

The boots I've been buying/wearing locally for years were discontinued and I've tried just about everything else I can find locally with no luck. There are a whole bunch of boots available online only, but without trying them on its a complete shot in the dark and its hard to find info on the less popular/less marketed brands.

Crispi Colorados caught my eye and tried a pair, but the size wasn't quite right and they were stiffer than I wanted. So I decided to try a pair of Summits in a little bigger size but they were sold out.. so tried another brand and could tell right out of the box that they weren't for me. What a waste of time that was..

Now several weeks later, I finally found a pair of Summits in what I hope will be the right size on camofire and waiting for those to arrive. Hoping third times a charm, because not being able to wear them out of the house and then being charged for return shipping every time is getting old fast. I am sure that is why you see so many barely used pairs of boots here for sale. Thats probably what I will do with this next pair.

One nice thing about REI, you can put some miles on them to see if they are going to work. Too bad their inventory is so limited.

Last edited:

Hoff

FNG
I love my Zamberlan Vioz Lux boots and REI is generous on returns if they dont work out. Ive also worn boots and hiked on the treadmill on an incline with a pack. Gave a good feel for if I wanted to deal with that heavy of a boot but it doesn't necessarily tell you what that boot will feel like after 50 to 100 miles. I think its important to know your foot shape/width. Regardless of whether I buy local or online, I try to know how heavy a boot I will put up with, the terrain, the season and weather conditions I will encounter. For me, good boot includes a supportive, fairly stiff sole, leather, and about a mid height boot. After that, you just have to start logging miles and paying the dues to break them in. May want to consider the Kennetrek Hardscrabbles too.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
I love my Zamberlan Vioz Lux boots and REI is generous on returns if they dont work out. Ive also worn boots and hiked on the treadmill on an incline with a pack. Gave a good feel for if I wanted to deal with that heavy of a boot but it doesn't necessarily tell you what that boot will feel like after 50 to 100 miles. I think its important to know your foot shape/width. Regardless of whether I buy local or online, I try to know how heavy a boot I will put up with, the terrain, the season and weather conditions I will encounter. For me, good boot includes a supportive, fairly stiff sole, leather, and about a mid height boot. After that, you just have to start logging miles and paying the dues to break them in. May want to consider the Kennetrek Hardscrabbles too.
Went and tried some Vioz Lux on today, they were very comfortable and fit my feet great. Went down a 1/2 size based on GoHunt’s suggestion on their website (I cross reference boots between REI’s offerings and hunting retailers) and they were snug but so comfortable.

Mikido

WKR
Ignore everyone else and listen to me:

Go to midwayusa

Order $1200 worth of boots. Pick 2-3 brands you think you like

Try them on at home. Good fitting boots fit good out the box. You’ll know right away. 50 mile break in’s are for boots that don’t fit you.

Easily return the rest for a very small shipping cost.

I did 2 rounds of this, landed with kenetrek mtn extremes. Fit great, barely any break in. I was shocked how differently the different brands fit, also within the brand, different models sizes didn’t match.

Don’t take advice from people about the fit of boots. Every foot is unique. How can 1 shoe fit everyone? How can someone find someone Else online with the exact same foot and get advice? customer service, waterproofness sure…..but not fit.

Hi all,

“No good boot shops near me- just an REI”… If I had an REI near me I’d buy most of my gear there, not counting weapons or optics…

If the Lowa Tibets at REI fit well I’d go with them. I love mine. I have an older pair of Lowa Hunter Extreme GTX (same boots with a little bit of thinsulate and a higher top) that are still going strong. They have a couple sheep hunts, a couple goat hunts and a few elk seasons on them. I don’t wear them much because I usually prefer no insulation. I also have a pair of Lowa Tibets that are a couple years old and are serving well for steep gnarly country. I bought some Lowa Renegade GTX to try out during archery season this year, I can’t say much about them yet because I haven’t even broken them in but so far they are very comfortable. What can I say… I like Lowa boots.

If you want to try the Crispi boots out without risking a no return situation do the following:

-Wear the same socks you’ll be hunting in.

-Make sure they are snug but not tight.

-Kick the ground hard and make sure your toes don’t touch the front (at all).

-Your heel should not lift even a little when you press down on the toe. Stand with your toes on a ledge to check this.

-Stand with the edges (inside and outside) of the boot on something to replicate side hilling. Your foot shouldn’t twist inside the boot, not even a little.

-Do some stairs if you have them. If not go somewhere indoors that does have stairs and even better a long wheelchair ramp.

-If you aren’t 100% sure send them back before going outside.

Last edited: