Oregon 143B W. Biggs John Day River float

Mikedr

WKR
I drew a mule deer tag for 143 B in Oregon. Has anyone tried floating the John Day river in October? I hear it can get pretty shallow and a drift boat will get hung up quite a bit. There’s not a lot of public land and the best access is from the river. Any tips or recommendations on canoe/raft/drift boat would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
-Mike

Sako76

WKR
I used to float the Deschutes River for mulies (Maupin 140), it's a great way to get away from the crowds. Good luck!

Sako76

WKR
I've never floated the John Day, I hear it's a great trip. On the Deschutes, there is limited public land and it was somewhat crowded when I stopped hunting it. My first trip was in 1987, the only guy we saw was the BLM employee rafting in to supply the outhouses with TP, it's a lot more crowded now. Back in the day, you could hunt both sides of the river, not anymore. Good luck.

Extrapale

WKR
Check the flows. They usually stop irrigating upstream at the start of deer season or just before.

You can float it at 100cfs in a pontoon. 200 probably good for a raft. Not sure on a drift boat.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

trevvamos

Lil-Rokslider
I drew that tag as well. Just wear some good waders, theres a few sections you might have to pull you DB over, but you should be good unless flows are extremely low.

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
I'd go in fairly light to keep the dragging of the boat to a minimum. Deschutes will be busier and has very sporadic public access. Deschutes also has some sections requiring river knowledge and some skills. If it were I, I would float the john day, see what I see and have a blast. Considering it's a fairly easy draw, I'd go in with the mindset of scouting and learning the first time. Don't forget to fish occasionally as well.

teamvit

Lil-Rokslider
We got back yesterday from floating it and flows this last weekend would have led to dragging a drift boat. It makes me nervous how low it may be in OCT.

Extrapale

WKR
We got back yesterday from floating it and flows this last weekend would have led to dragging a drift boat. It makes me nervous how low it may be in OCT.
Flows will be low. 200-400cfs during deer season. Check the service creek gauge history.

200 is a piece of cake in a pontoon, kayak, or canoe.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
My dad lives in Spray and it can get pretty bony. The good news is that you don't need heavy gear and you're not hauling a moose.

OP
Mikedr

Mikedr

WKR
Thanks for the report. I think we are going to be using canoes based on what fellas have been saying.